Coronavirus - Page 321 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

On 8/15/2021 at 7:51 AM, chaff said:

yes they did. People are clatty.

Before my current work i worked in a bookshop (remember them?) Every year i would get colds, mouth ulcers and every couple of years tonsilitis.

People in the shop coughing, spluttering, sneezing and putting banknotes in their mouth as they search for change before handing the soggy banknote to me in payment. A few times id refuse.

This led me to exacting revenge on the public. I'd snap children's crayons as i put them in the customers bag, I kept a magnet under the till and would rub the magnetic strip of their bank card or credit card when they weren't looking, I don't know if this had any effect the next time they went to the shop but it gave me a sense of warmth.

Anyway, I now work outside in the fresh air on my own. I've not had tonsilitis or even a mouth ulcer in 15 years.

You are not wrong. I didn't much like people before Covid, but now.......

It seems that generally people are stupid, inconsiderate, selfish and clatty!

Moderna approved for use in 12-17 year olds, just need JCVI to green light it.

Although i'm not sure if the best course is to innoculate children while so vulnerable adults can't get a shot. Seems to be no consensus on this either by folk who have spent a lot of time studying and thinking about it.

covid graph

More Israeli figures released.

Despite a recent increase in the number of serious cases in Israel, including among the fully vaccinated, those who received both doses of the vaccine against COVID-19 are significantly less likely to experience severe illness, according to data released by the Israeli Health Ministry.

As of August 16, the ministry recorded 159 severe COVID-19 cases per 100,000 people among the unvaccinated over the age of 60, compared to 20 per 100,000 people among the fully vaccinated. This makes the unvaccinated elderly more than eight times as likely to experience a severe case than their immunized counterparts.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/israel-covid-graphs-prove-vaccines-works-delta-pfizer-1.10101640

4 hours ago, scotlad said:

Apparently a group of zoomers have "seized" Edinburgh castle, citing, in true Edinburgh style, an article from the English Magna Carta.  :lol:

https://news.stv.tv/east-central/protesters-seize-edinburgh-castle-under-article-61-of-magna-carta?amp&__twitter_impression=true

The police constable then asks: “How many more people are you expecting to come to Edinburgh Castle today to join your protest?”

When she tells him “it’s not a protest, we’re actually taking it back” he replies: “Right, no worries.”

Qanon talking points as well “corrupt, evil, satanic paedophiles are running this country”

8 hours ago, scotlad said:

Apparently a group of zoomers have "seized" Edinburgh castle, citing, in true Edinburgh style, an article from the English Magna Carta.  :lol:

https://news.stv.tv/east-central/protesters-seize-edinburgh-castle-under-article-61-of-magna-carta?amp&__twitter_impression=true

"We are the people" 🤔

our cases are starting to rocket up, not sure if it is cause of testing before schools go back , missing data being added but positivity up over 7% as well.

Hard to tell how much is asymptomatic, I suspect it will be due to Lateral flow testing due to schools going back..

2 hours ago, phart said:

our cases are starting to rocket up, not sure if it is cause of testing before schools go back , missing data being added but positivity up over 7% as well.

Hard to tell how much is asymptomatic, I suspect it will be due to Lateral flow testing due to schools going back..

I simply don't get how England's cases have been remaining more or less static given they opened up before us.

21 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I simply don't get how England's cases have been remaining more or less static given they opened up before us.

If the increase is due to increased testing and testing numbers have jumped up in Scotland, then English schools don't go back till later than us. So will have to wait and see.

On 8/17/2021 at 3:16 PM, phart said:

Moderna approved for use in 12-17 year olds, just need JCVI to green light it.

Although i'm not sure if the best course is to innoculate children while so vulnerable adults can't get a shot. Seems to be no consensus on this either by folk who have spent a lot of time studying and thinking about it.

I think the obvious decision is not to vaccinate children and young people at this stage. But it's the politicians that need to decide that. Although with USA already going down this road, we would tend to follow even if just for the fashion. 

The resources required to vaccinate children could probably be better spent elsewhere - reducing proverty, drug deaths and waiting lists for a start. The direct benefits are marginal. And it wouldn't take much of an opportunity cost (which will be difficult to quantify) to wipe it out. An obvious candidate for a delay decision to see how protection bulids up, how long it lasts and how the virus evolves. 

Even if we only care about UK Covid deaths and nothing else, I would still put my money on an early booster for the elderly and vulnerable (ahead of seeing the data which compels this action) being a better investment than vaccination of children. 

Edited by Morrisandmoo

23 hours ago, phart said:

3,367 new cases in last 24 hours

37 minutes ago, 86glebestreet said:

3,367 new cases in last 24 hours

Saw that just now, it's rocketing up. All in the 45 and under groups, suggesting perhaps school children and their parents doing LFT's. Hopefully asymptomatic.

13 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Saw that too.

There's thread upon threads going into the nuances of what is meant by "suggest that those infected with the Delta variant after their second jab had similar peak levels of virus to unvaccinated people." saying the measurement of that isn't a measurement of infectiousness. Could have virus completely coated in Macrophages or whatever they are called which means they show up in the test but aren't able to transmit into healthy cells.

I quite liked this meme.

1 hour ago, phart said:

Saw that too.

There's thread upon threads going into the nuances of what is meant by "suggest that those infected with the Delta variant after their second jab had similar peak levels of virus to unvaccinated people." saying the measurement of that isn't a measurement of infectiousness. Could have virus completely coated in Macrophages or whatever they are called which means they show up in the test but aren't able to transmit into healthy cells.

I quite liked this meme.

:lol:

On 8/18/2021 at 5:21 PM, Lamia said:

There's certainly something funny about the English numbers. If we were seeing relatively stable numbers in North Korea while all the neighbouring countries were seeing sharp rises, we would rightly state that the figures were being under-reported.

Although our schools have now started back, that is nothing compared to the English 'freedom day' where there are now zero restrictions at all in any settings south of the border. 

We should be seeing the English figures outpacing everybody else but that isn't happening.

12 hours ago, tartandon said:

There's certainly something funny about the English numbers. If we were seeing relatively stable numbers in North Korea while all the neighbouring countries were seeing sharp rises, we would rightly state that the figures were being under-reported.

Although our schools have now started back, that is nothing compared to the English 'freedom day' where there are now zero restrictions at all in any settings south of the border. 

We should be seeing the English figures outpacing everybody else but that isn't happening.

If this was the first time English figures looked funny I might not be so suspicious. I know schools are going back here but the impact of "Freedom day" doesn't add up.

Edited by Lamia

I'm not seeing anything funny about the English figures.

Regional numbers have spiked like mad after a recent festival (board masters). The hospital admissions are climbing as well 832 yesterday.

What specifically is funny? Reported cases are too low? I imagine a lot of folk aren't testing themselves , look at the hospital admissions those are a lot less likely to be fudged if any number is being fudged.

Good news is the hospital admissions is tracking well with the Warwick green scenario model which is a good case scenario although if current trends continue we may start tracking off it onto more admissions than predicted.