Coronavirus - Page 326 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

One thing that worries me about all of this is the way the narrative just keeps changing.

It is like they keep saying, "we know we never mentioned that this would happen before but of course now it has happened it was totally expected...toootally". And they keep doing it over and over again. Trying to project this impression they are in control, know what they are doing and that it is working. When the truth seems to be closer to, they are not in control, they only think they know what they are doing and it is not working... I think there are only so many times that trick will work before the general public wake up to it.

I am curious what other folks views are here.... Depending on what vaccine you got you have had one or two jabs, so far. So how many would you be personally prepared to get before you have reached your own personal limit and your trust is gone? a third, a fourth, a fifth, annually? bi-annually, quarterly? no limit? 

Nothing has really changed for me according to the information i've been processing. The vaccines are still holding well despite the changing variants. I've not seen a change in narrative.

10 months ago experts in the field talked about waning immunity, however folk experience may differe depending on what information they're talking about.

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1328356167031074818

Replying to
So, w these early efficacy results, we may be measuring the effects of an impressive front line army that spins up in response to the vaccine - but then we should be careful not to assume the same efficacy persists to hold that line after most of the troops disappear! 8/

17 hours ago, phart said:

Edited by phart

Personally i'd rather people got first doses over boosters. I think the narrative that the goalpost have been changing hasn't been shown at all and is an impression that doesn't bear up to scrutiny.

Real world data shows how effective the Vaccines still are against severe illness.

A lot of confusion is caused by folk confounding what is really like for like.

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

One thing that worries me about all of this is the way the narrative just keeps changing.

I think it is more the case that people didn't hear what was said all along

I don't know if anyone has got a Scottish equivalent (or wherever they're living). We are in Hull at present. Went into Tesco a few days backed, I would say at most 20% of customers wearing a face mask. Went to Waitrose yesterday and must have been 90% minimum wearing a mask. Two very interesting experiences. Incidentally Hull has one of the highest Covid rates in Yorkshire.

On 8/27/2021 at 7:19 PM, Hertsscot said:

I don't know if anyone has got a Scottish equivalent (or wherever they're living). We are in Hull at present. Went into Tesco a few days backed, I would say at most 20% of customers wearing a face mask. Went to Waitrose yesterday and must have been 90% minimum wearing a mask. Two very interesting experiences. Incidentally Hull has one of the highest Covid rates in Yorkshire.

Not exactly equivalent as masks are still compulsory here, so I find everyone except young kids are wearing masks in local supermarkets.

However, I have not seen anyone but me using hand gels on entry in the last couple of weeks.

But I don't even know where my closest Waitrose is.

On 8/25/2021 at 3:04 PM, Lamia said:

What is wrong with adapting. That is how species survive is it not. "Living with the virus" doesn't need to mean going back too the way it was before.

On 8/25/2021 at 5:28 PM, Lamia said:

That is all very well and good but you are basically at the mercy of others. People can only do so much to protect themselves and some people have less control than others what others do has a massive impact on the risk to others. This pandemic has just demonstrated how inherently thoughtless, self entitled, ignorant and selfish the human race is

"You want it to be one way. But it's the other way."

1. The pandemic has also demonstrated the best of humanity IMO - courage, selflessness, ingenuity and community spirit. Everything from individual nurses caring for those in their final moments, science developing vaccines at breakneck speed and whole communities living through lockdown. I think you are putting the bad stuff in bold, while diminishing or ignoring the good stuff. 

2. There has been a significant amount of adaptation from what I can see. Mask wearing; transformed restaurants & pubs; testing, tracking and tracing; remote services; working from home; online shopping; increased ICU provision; public alcohol gel things everywhere (I've even seen some people using them!); infection control measures (e.g in hospital) etc

However, it sounds like you probably have a much different attitude to risk compared to the majority. And, I suspect, the level of adaptation that the majority will be prepared to accept will never be enough for you. Therefore a source of constant and un-ending frustration (assuming we continue to live in democracy). 

This is not necessarily because the majority are any more or less selfish or informed than you are. Although I appreciate you might perceive this to be a factor. They just have different beliefs and opinions about what is right. They will be prepared to change their beliefs and opinions as much as you are i.e slowly and in small increments. 

3 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

"You want it to be one way. But it's the other way."

1. The pandemic has also demonstrated the best of humanity IMO - courage, selflessness, ingenuity and community spirit. Everything from individual nurses caring for those in their final moments, science developing vaccines at breakneck speed and whole communities living through lockdown. I think you are putting the bad stuff in bold, while diminishing or ignoring the good stuff. 

2. There has been a significant amount of adaptation from what I can see. Mask wearing; transformed restaurants & pubs; testing, tracking and tracing; remote services; working from home; online shopping; increased ICU provision; public alcohol gel things everywhere (I've even seen some people using them!); infection control measures (e.g in hospital) etc

However, it sounds like you probably have a much different attitude to risk compared to the majority. And, I suspect, the level of adaptation that the majority will be prepared to accept will never be enough for you. Therefore a source of constant and un-ending frustration (assuming we continue to live in democracy). 

This is not necessarily because the majority are any more or less selfish or informed than you are. Although I appreciate you might perceive this to be a factor. They just have different beliefs and opinions about what is right. They will be prepared to change their beliefs and opinions as much as you are i.e slowly and in small increments. 

Well said. 

On 1/30/2020 at 11:18 AM, thplinth said:

Apparently it already qualifies as a pandemic and that it is growing exponentially but still slowly due to having quite a long incubation period where it is very transmissible. It can take up to two weeks to show. Testing folk for a fever at airports is only going to work after that long incubation period - during which they are infecting people they come in contact with (with a relatively high rate of infection).

I am thinking avoid travelling (especially planes) until this becomes clearer one way or the other. 

This was filmed a week ago andthings have moved on a lot since then.

China would not start locking down cities with 11 million population unless there are some serious fears over this one. We will see. 

Bit of a tangent but remember this guy I posted on page 1 of this thread.

Watch that video again and see if he was right. Look at the date of it. That was before the WHO were even calling it a pandemic, he was disagreeing with that saying it already was. Says they should be shutting down travel, having quarantines for travelers and people should invest in N95 masks.

He was bang on the money. Again look at the date of it...

Well youtube are now censoring him and it looks like they will ban his channel eventually and erase his content.

He makes some very strong points about what is happening here and why people should be very concerned about this generally. I totally agree with him.

https://odysee.com/@Chris_Martenson:2/chris-talks-censorship:d

It is happening more and more. They even banned Rand Paul on twitter (I think it was) for commenting. He is a US Senator and a Doctor... 

I must admit I am getting very uncomfortable with all of this big tech censorship and it has been very illuminating seeing just how many people cheer it on.

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

I must admit I am getting very uncomfortable with all of this big tech censorship and it has been very illuminating seeing just how many people cheer it on.

I see what you did there. 😉

Sheeple celebrating the suffocation of truth is pretty much what you'd expect, though.

God comes to earth. Says 'Do unto others.' We kill Him as cruelly as possible.

It's what we do.

Man has a monopoly on 'not getting it'.

We need saving from ourselves.

58 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I have no issue with Covid passports they are trying to get us back to the office over the next few months despite cases going through the roof again.

will they require them for workplaces specially very large companies 

I am afraid that office workers are going to have to back regardless of not if every worker is double vaccinated.  Manufacturing workers have been working constantly without any similar concessions. 

3 hours ago, jailender said:

Why has Scotland got 9 of the areas with the highest rates per 100,000 in the top 20 places in Europe, and the rest of Uk has none?

the return of schools cannot possibly account for the difference in numbers. There is definitely something odd about the difference

If I was a teenager/20's I would have had double jag and had my GP by the throat til he gave me a vaccination certificate by now. Nothing would have put at risk me getting out at the weekend at that age! It'll have the desired effect of getting most under 30's vaccinated. 

16 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

I've already went on enough about these things - so I'll keep it short.

They are stupid and discriminatory and wasteful. Shameful shitebaggery of the highest order. 

15 hours ago, loanhead-tartan said:

This

https://www.rt.com/uk/533664-scotland-covid-vaccine-passports-plan/

Very sinister indeed. No surprises to see Sturgeon pushing for it almost immediately. Watch it get expanded. Boy you have really got one here folks.