Play Off Opponent Profiles - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Opponent Profiles

Super_Scotlandfan

57 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

If you're unable to answer the question then, fine, we can leave it.

Of course I can answer it.

Judging one division of men’s football against another is not discriminatory.

Comments that men’s and women’s footballers shouldn’t be on the same calendar, or shouldn’t be on the same poster, or that women’s tennis players should receive less prize money than men, or that ‘woman (sic) are shite’ ARE very much discriminatory.

You can’t discriminate against someone based on their gender. If you’re unsure, why not just err on the side of caution. Be nice.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Robertson is (currently) our only world class player. I'd rather play him in goals than bench him. Even if he plays terrible, if gives us a huge psychological advantage.

We are all quaking in our boots over Haaland. It is a much more daunting prospect coming up against a high quality player, regardless of form or performance. We will all be nervous of playing Norway because of him. The same can be said if we play Robertson. We need to be intimidating. No disrespect to Taylor, Gallacher et al, but they won't strike fear into the heart of our opponents.

If we have the option of playing 2 players of a similar standard (Gallacher or Hanley) and 1 plays in the premier league, we should be playing the guy that is in the premier league every time.

We massively underestimate the value of psychology in football. 

While I agree that Robertson is ‘world class’ and should obviously be the first name on the team sheet, unfortunately as a left-back, there’s little serious influence he can have on a match - as our recent results show.

I don’t think there’s much intimidation factor from having a top-quality full back, compared to a top-quality goal scorer like Haaland, or a top-quality creative midfielder.

Edited by dohadeer

9 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

While I agree that Robertson is ‘world class’ and should obviously be the first name on the team sheet, unfortunately as a left-back, there’s little serious influence he can have on a match - as our recent results show.

I don’t think there’s much intimidation factor from having a top-quality full back, compared to a top-quality goal scorer like Haaland, or a top-quality creative midfielder.

I agree, having a Bale or Haaland in your team is more damaging in terms of goals, and obviously more intimidating. But, if we can utilise Robertson's strengths i.e his marauding runs and crosses, then it can be a huge boost to us. There will be dozens of countries envious of us having a player of his calibre. 

If we have more posession and a clinical striker to aim at (Griffiths), he'll create goals. As will our other quality midfielders. 

42 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I agree, having a Bale or Haaland in your team is more damaging in terms of goals, and obviously more intimidating. But, if we can utilise Robertson's strengths i.e his marauding runs and crosses, then it can be a huge boost to us. There will be dozens of countries envious of us having a player of his calibre. 

If we have more posession and a clinical striker to aim at (Griffiths), he'll create goals. As will our other quality midfielders. 

How often have you seen him do that for Scotland?

Only played twice for Norway so far and yet to score so still feeling his way into international football and the different dynamics.

By contrast Mitrovic has a brilliant scoring record in international football so he'd need to be respected as much imo.

I'm more concerned how Odegaard would be handled in any potential match up v Norway. He's been in fantastic form for Real Sociedad all season so likes of McTominey and McGregor need to be rats in there to disrupt him.

Sergj Milinkovic Savic is back playing well for Lazio. Huge physical box to box midfield who can score.

Serbia and Norway pretty similar when you look at it, both got one top class striker and some very good midfielders but neither are that difficult to score against.

Ultimately I think not playing the game at Hampden will be the decisive aspect of this but of course have to get past Israel first.

3 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Only played twice for Norway so far and yet to score so still feeling his way into international football and the different dynamics.

By contrast Mitrovic has a brilliant scoring record in international football so he'd need to be respected as much imo.

I'm more concerned how Odegaard would be handled in any potential match up v Norway. He's been in fantastic form for Real Sociedad all season so likes of McTominey and McGregor need to be rats in there to disrupt him.

Sergj Milinkovic Savic is back playing well for Lazio. Huge physical box to box midfield who can score.

Serbia and Norway pretty similar when you look at it, both got one top class striker and some very good midfielders but neither are that difficult to score against.

Ultimately I think not playing the game at Hampden will be the decisive aspect of this but of course have to get past Israel first.

What do you mean ‘still feeling his way into international football and the different dynamics?’

3 hours ago, dohadeer said:

What do you mean ‘still feeling his way into international football and the different dynamics?’

There are many many examples of prolific club scorers who struggle to score at international level.

Andy Cole was a great premier league striker. One goal for England although of course he was around in an era of great English strikers so chances were limited, same for Les Ferdinand and Robbie Fowler around that time.

Kenny Miller only had a slighly poorer record for Scotland than Ally McCoist.

And international football is generally more cat and mouse than club football.

In the 2018 world cup 53% of goals were scored from set pieces and generally it's the same in qualifiers so games less open and less chances from normal play than in normal club game unless you're playing a minnow. Or Scotland.

Add in he won't quite have the quality of team mates to release him early like for Dortmund (although odegaard is also good enough to play for them) and those are my reasons.

He has only played for Norway twice. Didn't actually score for Norway under 21s in his three games either.

Edited by Tartan Chris

14 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

There are many many examples of prolific club scorers who struggle to score at international level.

Andy Cole was a great premier league striker. One goal for England although of course he was around in an era of great English strikers so chances were limited, same for Les Ferdinand and Robbie Fowler around that time.

Kenny Miller only had a slighly poorer record for Scotland than Ally McCoist.

And international football is generally more cat and mouse than club football.

In the 2018 world cup 53% of goals were scored from set pieces and generally it's the same in qualifiers so games less open and less chances from normal play than in normal club game unless you're playing a minnow. Or Scotland.

Add in he won't quite have the quality of team mates to release him early like for Dortmund (although odegaard is also good enough to play for them) and those are my reasons.

He has only played for Norway twice. Didn't actually score for Norway under 21s in his three games either.

I think that any slight disadvantage that Haaland may have, in playing for Norway rather than his Bundesliga clubs, will be more than cancelled out by the drop in level of defender he would face against Scotland, compared to his usual opponents.

I don’t think that someone who has scored 40 goals - is that correct? - in the Bundesliga and Champions League combined, before the end of February, will forget where the goal is, just because he’s playing in a red shirt instead of a yellow one!

18 hours ago, dohadeer said:

I think that any slight disadvantage that Haaland may have, in playing for Norway rather than his Bundesliga clubs, will be more than cancelled out by the drop in level of defender he would face against Scotland, compared to his usual opponents.

I don’t think that someone who has scored 40 goals - is that correct? - in the Bundesliga and Champions League combined, before the end of February, will forget where the goal is, just because he’s playing in a red shirt instead of a yellow one!

Most of his goals have come in Austria this season. 

He’s obviously a great player but I’m not sure why people are running scared of him already. We might not even play Norway again in his career never mind next month.

He has scored twice v PSG and freely in Bundesliga recently.

That said Dortmund are very much a front foot team while I imagine Norway won't be.

Probably a better example for what I was on about yesterday would be Jaydon Sancho. Looks great week in week out in Germany with goals and assits but yet to have the same impact for England in the year he's been involved in the set up.

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Fingers crossed.  

Haaland getting sent off for over-celebrating a winner in the 120-minute would do me.  

In all honesty and on paper alone,  is a Norway minus Haaland a weaker proposition than a full strength Serbia?  I say yes.  

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

In all honesty and on paper alone,  is a Norway minus Haaland a weaker proposition than a full strength Serbia?  I say yes.  

Before the emergence of haaland I think most would be cacking it off a trip to the maracana

Now we're cacking it off both

Looks like Dubbur is injured and won't play in March. 

Their other star striker, Zahavi (13 goals in his last 9 internationals and 29 in 28 league games!) last played on the 1st of December. The Chinese Super League hasn't started for their new season due to the Coronavirus and probably won't start before our fixture (?)

I'd be very disappointed if we can't get past this team at home. 

Edited by Super_Scotlandfan