Ched Evans - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strange one, yes there are questions over his guilt but then rape is rarely an open and shut case as it is normally one persons word against the other but any question over it is not really relevant to this debate, he IS a convicted rapist until that is overturned (if ever) he was found guilty by a court of law and therefore a convicted rapist.

I do believe in rehabilitation although his punishment of 2 years is a joke for that crime but he has served his sentence and therefore paid his debt to society. The big question of course is should he be allowed to return to a privileged field of employment like football after the crime he has comitted? Yes he probably should as it isn't really relevant to the job unless being a role model is in the contract but as many have said even if he finds a club he will be subjected to abuse by every visiting fan base and probably some of his own fans and if he is guilty he probably deserves it. My personal opinion is if he wants to play again he should probably try his hand abroad as I doubt the fans here will let it lie and accept him as long as he is guilty of this crime and unless he can prove his innocence he will be labelled a rapist so he might get an easier time in a different country or at least not understand the abuse.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the fact he's out makes his conviction and subsequent sentence look even more flimsy than it already is. There are plenty of miles left in his case and I would not be surprised to see it overturned in the future.

I admit I wasn't at the trial and didn't hear all the evidence but the evidence as it was reported makes him guilty as sin IMHO. And he doesn't seem to get it. A thoroughly disgusting individual!!

Strange one, yes there are questions over his guilt but then rape is rarely an open and shut case as it is normally one persons word against the other but any question over it is not really relevant to this debate, he IS a convicted rapist until that is overturned (if ever) he was found guilty by a court of law and therefore a convicted rapist.

I do believe in rehabilitation although his punishment of 2 years is a joke for that crime but he has served his sentence and therefore paid his debt to society. The big question of course is should he be allowed to return to a privileged field of employment like football after the crime he has comitted? Yes he probably should as it isn't really relevant to the job unless being a role model is in the contract but as many have said even if he finds a club he will be subjected to abuse by every visiting fan base and probably some of his own fans and if he is guilty he probably deserves it. My personal opinion is if he wants to play again he should probably try his hand abroad as I doubt the fans here will let it lie and accept him as long as he is guilty of this crime and unless he can prove his innocence he will be labelled a rapist so he might get an easier time in a different country or at least not understand the abuse.

I think the going abroad option might be best, sort of Craig Thomson situation. McCormick, Hughes both killed people and I can't recall as much fuss, anyone know how they got treated by fans when they came out of jail and started playing again? I hope I'm not doing United a disservice but I suspect whatever decision is finally made will be with an eye to the commercial and financial consequences, loss of sponsorship Tec.

I admit I wasn't at the trial and didn't hear all the evidence but the evidence as it was reported makes him guilty as sin IMHO. And he doesn't seem to get it. A thoroughly disgusting individual!!

I tend to agree with this. From what I've read, it sounds like the girl was too drunk too consent, she never met Evans sober and he still had sex with her anyway. Didn't he leave via a fire exit as well?

It's his lack of empathy or admission of any wrong doing that makes me question whether or not he should be given another contract.

Good bit of pressure on Sheffield so don't expect him to sign there but it will eventually become less of a media issue so wouldn't be surprised if he signed for another team next year

Edited by ParisInAKilt

I think the going abroad option might be best, sort of Craig Thomson situation. McCormick, Hughes both killed people and I can't recall as much fuss, anyone know how they got treated by fans when they came out of jail and started playing again?.

As far as I remember, there was very little media attention, mainly because those players were joining low profile clubs at the time (Hughes to Notts County, think McCormick was on trial at Swindon). Women beating/raping seems to get more media attention, I remember the stick Coventry got for allowing Marlon King a free pass back into football after he came out of jail. Whoever takes Evans on will need to tread carefully.

I think the going abroad option might be best, sort of Craig Thomson situation. McCormick, Hughes both killed people and I can't recall as much fuss, anyone know how they got treated by fans when they came out of jail and started playing again? I hope I'm not doing United a disservice but I suspect whatever decision is finally made will be with an eye to the commercial and financial consequences, loss of sponsorship Tec.

what was the craig thomson situation?

• 1 month later...

the main thing i can't understand is why he is out in the first place. His sentence was five years but he got out after two and a half. I have understand people are released early as a matter of f urse, but I thought part of early release was accepting you'd committed a crime and going some way down the road to rehabilitation and/or repentance? None of those things are evident here so I don't understand why he was released.

the main thing i can't understand is why he is out in the first place. His sentence was five years but he got out after two and a half. I have understand people are released early as a matter of f urse, but I thought part of early release was accepting you'd committed a crime and going some way down the road to rehabilitation and/or repentance? None of those things are evident here so I don't understand why he was released.

It should have been a longer sentence in the first place. The sentences for rape are absurd.

The sure footed Gordon Taylor makes a Hillsborough comparison. The perfect storm now for those seeking ways to be offended.

He didn't though.

All he said was there was a miscarriage of justice there but those Liverpool fans will cling to it and claim it was an offensive attack on the memory of the dead.

His sentence is 5 years, it is for his Offender managers/MAPPA, etc. to decide how much of that time is spent in prison & how much outside (his release is on licence & he can be recalled at any time without a reason having to be given). Remorse is a factor but there are lots of others as well. Risk is really the big one.

He didn't though.

All he said was there was a miscarriage of justice there but those Liverpool fans will cling to it and claim it was an offensive attack on the memory of the dead.

Why mention Hillsborough? Absolutely no relevance to the ched Evans case Edited by tam4ritchie