This weekends matches 2018/2019 - Page 12 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This weekends matches 2018/2019

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I think it was him the last time too.

Without context what he’s said is out of line, Id like to think what he was meaning was the whining and moaning coming from Rangers and the media after that game was funny rather than the boy getting a broken nose, but that’s not a very good headline.

If you remember even Brendan Rodgers (who doesn’t talk about other teams...) jumped on that band wagon.

I listened to the interview. He meant it was funny that the guy was crying because of a broken nose. 

Utterly pathetic from the Motherwell Captain and kind of contradicts the "we're not a dirty team" line. 

As has been said, any OF player saying this would be getting slaughtered. And rightly so. Hopefully nothing like this happens to any of his team in the future,or he may split his sides. 

6 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I listened to the interview. He meant it was funny that the guy was crying because of a broken nose. 

To be fair, a grown man crying and moaning because he has a broken nose is quite funny.   It isn't the serious, nee career threatening injury Rangers fans are making it out to be.   Could you imagine the grief a rugby player would get if he did that?

I've had my nose broken 7 times and 2 corrective surgeries and whilst it was an inconvenience,  I can't recall crying about it or not finishing the games(Rugby/Football) they happened in.

It's unwise to make any such comments in Scotland, in jest or otherwise, especially with a game against the Rangers or Celtic on the horizon and Hartley should have been well aware of that.  He should know by the now that the unhinged loonballs who are perpetually offended by everything will pounce on any negative comment.  Ill advised, but not worthy of the compliance officer looking into it.

Good to see the many well wishers he has on Twitter and the Rangers fans still revelling in Phil O'Donnell's death... 

1 minute ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

The state of the Sevco fans at this is brilliant...easily offended, unless their own fans are running riot in European games, or singing about the death and destruction of all things Catholicism.

Fucking heid-the-baws

Fucking zoomers.

Same cunts that were wanting Killie to pay compo for Murphy's injury are now wanting Hartley to get a broken leg.

If they had brains they'd be dangerous.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You did a couple of years back against us I'm sure? Is this a new thing?

Can remember being up above St Johnstone fans about 8 years ago.  Certainly in last few years it’s been like this.  It’s easier to segregate as well as there is something at half way that can keep fans apart inside stadium.

also home fans enter and exit with rest of East fans and don’t have to share the bridge of doom exit!

9 minutes ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

To be fair, a grown man crying and moaning because he has a broken nose is quite funny.   It isn't the serious, nee career threatening injury Rangers fans are making it out to be.   Could you imagine the grief a rugby player would get if he did that?

I've had my nose broken 7 times and 2 corrective surgeries and whilst it was an inconvenience,  I can't recall crying about it or not finishing the games(Rugby/Football) they happened in.

It's unwise to make any such comments in Scotland, in jest or otherwise, especially with a game against the Rangers or Celtic on the horizon and Hartley should have been well aware of that.  He should know by the now that the unhinged loonballs who are perpetually offended by everything will pounce on any negative comment.  Ill advised, but not worthy of the compliance officer looking into it.

Good to see the many well wishers he has on Twitter and the Rangers fans still revelling in Phil O'Donnell's death... 

Most of your post is whataboutery. 

It was a stupid and classless thing to say, especially for a club captain. 

It doesn't require anything other than sensible folk to be embarrassed for him. 

Anyone who revels in another's death is absolute filth and is best blocked and reported on social media. 

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Fucking zoomers.

Same cunts that were wanting Killie to pay compo for Murphy's injury are now wanting Hartley to get a broken leg.

They really have become an emotional bunch, everything seems to set them off nowadays

On the murphy injury - there was a guy on sportsound who said the stats don't back up the claims that more injuries occur on astro turf pitches, the difference was minimal.

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Fucking zoomers.

They are already dangerous. How so few brain cells can operate a smart phone beggars belief. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Injury prone player get's injured.

Shock horror.

If the pitch was that bad, how come we don't (and never have had) a silly injury list since it was laid?

We train on it every day, so surely we should be like the walking wounded?

I'd prefer a grass pitch but blaming it for every injury that occurs on it is just tiresome.

The mock outrage that this has caused has me kinda hoping we keep it next year.

Will say a we prayer next week for the brave 11 huns that have to play in Russia on a similar surface. May god have mercy on their soul.

The artificial pitches are shite. I've played on every version there's been from the plastic razor blades to the green sand covered carpet, to the current rubber crumb versions and not one of them is a decent substitute for grass. 

Having said that, it's not the pitch that injures players. It's previous injuries and bad luck. I don't think Murphy would have been hurt as badly on a grass pitch in the exact same circumstances but really he shouldn't have been risked on it. 

I don't think we should allow artificial pitches in our top league but understand the financial arguments for them. 

All in all a storm in a tea cup really. As has been said, he's injury prone. Why play him on the astro in the first place. 

24 minutes ago, giblet said:

Can remember being up above St Johnstone fans about 8 years ago.  Certainly in last few years it’s been like this.  It’s easier to segregate as well as there is something at half way that can keep fans apart inside stadium.

also home fans enter and exit with rest of East fans and don’t have to share the bridge of doom exit!

Just googled and it found a pic.

I'm sure there were Hibs fans in lower too and that's why we never got full lower to start with but apparently not!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=killie+fans+easter+road&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwijp_62t4PdAhVN26QKHVAMBqYQ_AUICygC&biw=764&bih=695#imgrc=E2u3EJdF-hrIJM:&spf=1535036196855

21 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

The artificial pitches are shite. I've played on every version there's been from the plastic razor blades to the green sand covered carpet, to the current rubber crumb versions and not one of them is a decent substitute for grass. 

Having said that, it's not the pitch that injures players. It's previous injuries and bad luck. I don't think Murphy would have been hurt as badly on a grass pitch in the exact same circumstances but really he shouldn't have been risked on it. 

I don't think we should allow artificial pitches in our top league but understand the financial arguments for them. 

All in all a storm in a tea cup really. As has been said, he's injury prone. Why play him on the astro in the first place. 

I was too lazy to check how accurate it was, but somebody had mentioned that Murphy was wearing blades, which is a pretty daft thing to do on a surface like that.

25 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Greg Kiltie has done his cruiciate in twice, once on grass, once on plastic and he still plays on it.

If somebody can give evidence that there are more injuries on plastic than grass then i'll hold my hands up.

10 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Most of your post is whataboutery. 

It doesn't require anything other than sensible folk to be embarrassed for him. 

Anyone who revels in another's death is absolute filth and is best blocked and reported on social media. 

Hardly whataboutery.  I did state it was unwise and ill advised of him to say it regardless of context so I'm not exactly backing Hartley in this instance. I think issuing an apology is the right thing to do, but not saying it in the first place would've been better for all concerned. The faux outrage is quite something though and gives an interesting insight to the extremely warped mind set of some Rangers fans.  

He'll regret what he said for a long time if Rangers beat Motherwell on Sunday and be suitably embarrassed about it if that happens.  I don't think anyone else needs to be embarrassed for him.  

Big, bruising defenders greetin' about broken noses would have their predecessors at Ibrox laughing as well. 

13 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Greg Kiltie has done his cruiciate in twice, once on grass, once on plastic and he still plays on it.

If somebody can give evidence that there are more injuries on plastic than grass then i'll hold my hands up.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/16592772.players-arent-at-any-increased-risk-of-injury-on-artificial-pitches-and-can-pass-astroturf-test-by-doing-the-11/

This article seems to be in favour of them. Well, not in favour, but argue against artificial pitches being the cause of injuries.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Can’t really argue with that, even allowing for being taken out of context (which he hasn’t claimed in his apology), it was ill advised and stupid to say what he did.

49 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

There certainly seems to be something with plastic pitches given that some players can't play on them but it doesn't make sense to me. Surely they should be flatter and more consistent than grass pitches so should reduce some of the risk. It must be down to the players footwear? Killie players train and play on it all the time so have it sussed where players from other clubs only play a couple of times a season so don't know which type of boots suit the pitch the best and that, on occasion, has contributed to an injury?

10 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

There certainly seems to be something with plastic pitches given that some players can't play on them but it doesn't make sense to me. Surely they should be flatter and more consistent than grass pitches so should reduce some of the risk. It must be down to the players footwear? Killie players train and play on it all the time so have it sussed where players from other clubs only play a couple of times a season so don't know which type of boots suit the pitch the best and that, on occasion, has contributed to an injury?

Honestly don't know.

Tommy Wright used to wet his knickers about McLean playing on them but as soon as he signed with Hearts he's playing on them. Think he's played on Cove's and Hamilton's so far and guarantee he'll play on ours  on Saturday!

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm half agreeing with you. If you are young fit and have been injury free it probably doesn't make any difference. 

As you get older and have war wounds then you are more likely to injure yourself on astro, especially if you wear blades. 

I have pals can't play on astro as they can't walk the next day because of their dodgy knees. On grass they just don't have that problem. 

Astro just isn't as good a surface to play on, unless of course your grass pitch is as bumpy as teenagers spotty Herbert face. 😀 

1 hour ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

Hardly whataboutery.  I did state it was unwise and ill advised of him to say it regardless of context so I'm not exactly backing Hartley in this instance. I think issuing an apology is the right thing to do, but not saying it in the first place would've been better for all concerned. The faux outrage is quite something though and gives an interesting insight to the extremely warped mind set of some Rangers fans.  

He'll regret what he said for a long time if Rangers beat Motherwell on Sunday and be suitably embarrassed about it if that happens.  I don't think anyone else needs to be embarrassed for him.  

Big, bruising defenders greetin' about broken noses would have their predecessors at Ibrox laughing as well. 

Sadly football is no longer a physical game and the lad in question was definitely not a big physical centre half. He was a light weight. 

Finding fun in others physical pain is just a wee bit sad. 

Hopefully Gerrard sticks a printed copy of the interview up in the dressing room and a proper drubbing is handed out. Now that would be funny. 

59 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

See my post back to Squirrelhumper. From what I've seen it is partly footwear and partly old injuries flaring back up. 

There isn't the same shock absorption on astro when you're running so that has to be part of it too. 

If the pitch isn't properly maintained it alsoakes it much worse. 

Potentially shaping up to be the closest title race in years already.

Last season Celtic finished 9 points ahead of Aberdeen, and 12 points ahead of Sevco.

From memory, Sevco only took one point from Celtic last season, but should take more this season.

Aberdeen only took one point from Sevco last season, but should take more this season.

Again from memory, Aberdeen had a 2 wins. 1 draw, 1 loss record v Hibs last season, so this Saturday's game between the two teams (although only three games in) is already a 'biggie'.

If the top five teams reach some sort of parity then it'll come down to which of those teams have the best success against the other seven teams.

Each week could very well see the places at and near the top change.

16 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Just googled and it found a pic.

I'm sure there were Hibs fans in lower too and that's why we never got full lower to start with but apparently not!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=killie+fans+easter+road&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwijp_62t4PdAhVN26QKHVAMBqYQ_AUICygC&biw=764&bih=695#imgrc=E2u3EJdF-hrIJM:&spf=1535036196855

https://goo.gl/images/V6mjcs

Saints took over 1800 on our last visit there, ( would have sold many more if we received more tickets ) one of the best atmospheres I’ve ever been to at a Scottish league game, love Easter Rd, my favourite away ground. 

Edited by Jersey Jim

1 hour ago, Jersey Jim said:

https://goo.gl/images/V6mjcs

Saints took over 1800 on our last visit there, ( would have sold many more if we received more tickets ) one of the best atmospheres I’ve ever been to at a Scottish league game, love Easter Rd, my favourite away ground. 

Aye, remember that. One of my mates were through.

Was that not right when you were on a cracking run and avoided relegation?

16 hours ago, theweestevie said:

I admittedly need to do a lot more reading om this but I still believe plastic pitches are worse for injures than grass.  I say that having suffered an ACL reconstruction myself as a result of training on astro a couple of times a week for a season.  There's just no give in it - it's cement with a bit of sponge and a green carpet on top.  Grass, even in summer, absorbs more pressure and gives limbs somewhere to go other than folding over themselves.  Aside from the injury angle, the ball bounces and rolls differently even on the latest generations of astro.  Cove have just spent a fortune on a new stadium with latest astro surface.  Yes, they can train on it all year round and earn revenue when they aren't using it, however, on a windy day, the ball is never on the pitch.

16 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Sadly football is no longer a physical game and the lad in question was definitely not a big physical centre half. He was a light weight. 

Finding fun in others physical pain is just a wee bit sad. 

Hopefully Gerrard sticks a printed copy of the interview up in the dressing room and a proper drubbing is handed out. Now that would be funny. 

True, the physical side is becoming less and less in Scotland. 

I don't think he's making light of the injury rather than the reaction of the player afterwards.  To put it in context;  It's conveniently forgotten about that Cardoso did the very same to Moult in the same game.  Moult dusted himself off, scored 2 goals, won us the game and we played in a cup final.  Cardoso moaned about his wee bump to anyone who would listen instead and has eventually ended up back in obscurity in Portugal.

I applaud Gerrard's comments today regarding it.  It's a daft situation that has escalated beyond all reasonable control with him accepting an apology, having a private discussion with our gaffer (who has given Pete a dressing down by all accounts) and advising everyone to move on.

I expect Rangers to win comfortably on Sunday(as they should do given their outlay on players) as we aren't at the races at all this season with our starting XI not defined by any means, injuries and out of form players, but we can always pull a result out the bag against anyone at Fir Park.