Alexander Elliot Salmond - Page 14 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alexander Elliot Salmond

Define "the will of the people of Scotland" here.

If scottish people vote to elect a majority of pro independence candidates to the Scottish Parliament (again), then under what grounds do you think the UK government should block a referendum?

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it'll be like what's happening in Catalonia - the more people wanting independence, the less likely there is to be a referendum. The British Government would just block it...

Agree they would want to, but the relative closeness of Sep and the precedent that a section 30 was offered is our trump card.

To deny it for another go would make for a UDI bid.

I thought at the time Alex giving up Devo Max on the paper for getting 16&17 and a section 30 was a mistake. In retrospect it was a masterstroke. Depending on May results we could squeeze a devomashish deal from a minority govt and keep the powder dry for the next campaign when it should be more evolution than revolution.

Labour have deliberately put a crappy candidate up so that they don't split the anti-Salmond vote.

This guy reminds me of a story my Grandad told me a few years ago.

The Lib Dems put up an 18 year old straight out of high school as the council candidate for his area. The candidate came to my Grandparents door. Grandad (who's a former communist but now an SNP man :ok:) asks "what's the name of your candidate then, son ?", the guy at the door says he's the candidate, granddad laughed and told him to come back tomorrow with the real candidate before shutting the door on him.

A couple of days later he looked in the local paper and saw that he was the real Lib Dem candidate. :-))

Labour have deliberately put a crappy candidate up so that they don't split the anti-Salmond vote.

If recent election history is anything to go by the Labour vote is the one most likely to go to SNP so such a tactic might not be a great success if that's what is intended...

Got the Lib Dem flyer through the door and despite Malcolm Bruce standing down his name is plastered all over it and they have actually made it look like he is standing with Christine Jardine. And they have also slagged off the SNP for not turing up to vote against the bedroom tax - are they thinking we have hopefully forgotten that Bruce and his party voted for it!

Oh and the SNP are responsible for the congestion because they are spending nothing on the roads :lol:

Got the Lib Dem flyer through the door and despite Malcolm Bruce standing down his name is plastered all over it and they have actually made it look like he is standing with Christine Jardine. And they have also slagged off the SNP for not turing up to vote against the bedroom tax - are they thinking we have hopefully forgotten that Bruce and his party voted for it!

Oh and the SNP are responsible for the congestion because they are spending nothing on the roads :lol:

The big question is though. Are the folk in your area ignorant enough to be taken in by that sort of nonsense?

I would have thought it's a wee bit early to start campaigning for an election in May? They must be panicking.

Have they put a graph on it showing that only the Lib Dems can stop either Labour,Tories,SNP,UKIP,MRLP,NF,BNP.

I do love the "they're central belt biased, just want to please them over there, all the power in the south, NE contributes 1/10 revenue and gets less in return" substitute central belt to London, NE to Scotland and they'd be against that type of argument.

The big question is though. Are the folk in your area ignorant enough to be taken in by that sort of nonsense?

Well, area voted Libdem for last 30 y for mp. In a county with NOC.

Funny place: farmers, "aspirational oilers", aberdonians who can no longer afford to live in Aberdeen, I believe Dyce and bridge of don sit in the constituency, which is home to shell, BP, total, Halliburton etc etc etc and I perceive then to be highly influential in forming people's opinion.

As an aside, did anyone hear Matthew Wright going on about Alex? Basically, he's delighted he's back in Westmonster, as he reckons he's one of (if not the) greatest politicians of an era.

Can you imagine someone in his position up here saying that?

Hard to say. Who is Matthew Wright?