Scott Brown retires..... again. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott Brown retires..... again.

slasher

14 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Sub-text here: McTominay lined up as his replacement as CM and captain?

ย 

Tierney will be captain I'd think but I hope McTominay is his replacement in the squad, knowing what we're like Charlie Adam will end up being his replacement

1 hour ago, Brummie Hibs said:

I suppose Darren Fletcher becomes Captain, however I don't think there was be much more international football left in him either.

ย 

Think ultimate decision will come down to Eck, as I think Fletcher is chasing 100 caps (granted, probably take him another 3/4 years, but I think he will hang around for 1 more campaign).

6 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Think ultimate decision will come down to Eck, as I think Fletcher is chasing 100 caps (granted, probably take him another 3/4 years, but I think he will hang around for 1 more campaign).

I don't think Fletcher is the sort to retire - whether he is worthy of a pick based on current form is another matter.

Similar to Gordon, I suspect recovering from an illness that looked like bringing his career to a premature end will probably give him the drive to go on for as long as he can.

If I were McLeish, I would look to get Fletcher involved in as many squads as possible because I get the impression he's a good positive influence on the younger players.ย  Failing that, I'd expect Fletcher to come out with a sort of "I'm here if you ever need me" response to being dropped.

10 minutes ago, aaid said:

I don't think Fletcher is the sort to retire - whether he is worthy of a pick based on current form is another matter.

Similar to Gordon, I suspect recovering from an illness that looked like bringing his career to a premature end will probably give him the drive to go on for as long as he can.

If I were McLeish, I would look to get Fletcher involved in as many squads as possible because I get the impression he's a good positive influence on the younger players.ย  Failing that, I'd expect Fletcher to come out with a sort of "I'm here if you ever need me" response to being dropped.

Agree. As said elsewhere, I think Fletcher will be kept around for the time being with his place in the squad, but also used as a kind of "unofficial" coach behind the scenes (off hand, him and Gordon are the only two players I can think of who were in the squad last time Eck was manager, so they will know a lot more of the players in the squad today than Eck will not know).

Edited by wanderer

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Sub-text here: McTominay lined up as his replacement as CM and captain?

ย 

Hes been asked once and declined so shouldn,t be asked again.Embarrassing if the SFA/McLeish go begging for his services

ย 

ย Brown,good player and will be missed

Edited by Langtonian

5 minutes ago, Langtonian said:

Hes been asked once and declined so shouldn,t be asked again.Embarrassing if the SFA/McLeish go begging for his services

ย 

So embarrassing to ask a potentially top class player a second time but fine to have Brown do the call up hokey cokey.ย 

Reading some people's views on here it almost seems like retiring from international football was a crime. Jeez Broonie has over 50 caps to his name and is one of our most capped players. That alone demonstrates how good a servant he has been. I wish him all the best and thank him for his service over the years under half a dozen managers.

ย 

It is a good time to go as we have a new management regime and new campaign ahead of us and allows us a chance to do what we have to do - build for the future.

ย 

I think this was nailed on as soon as we announced Peru and Mexico friendlies.. the squad for these games will be interesting...

I think its the right time if im honest.. Great servant if you can forget the original retirement and then coming back but we need to something different in midfield. Time for players like McGinn, Cairney, McTominay ( if he decides he is actually Scottish), Fraser, Burke, Paterson, Christie,ย McGregor to be given opportunities.

Armstrong, Ritchie (if he hasn't retired) Snodgrass, Forrestย should play a part too.

Centre half remains a problem area although some signs that players like Bates, Mcrorie,ย McKenna, Lindsay, Souttar, Porteous could mean this position will soon become our easiest to fill. Lets hope at least one of them can get themselves toย level required in time for the nations league.ย I do think Tierney will be captain and will could well be played at centre half as Robertson nailed on for left back.ย ย ย 

Biggest problem for me though is if Leigh Griffiths isn't fit.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

32 minutes ago, Langtonian said:

ย 

He didn't knock us back..... The press jumped on a quote from Malky MacKay about him asking if he wanted to join up for the Dutch game and all he said was he just asked to not be selected until he had proven himself a bit at club level (there has been nothing direct from the player about where his international future is).

Seems to be his own club manager that is pushing for him to get selected for Scotland.

Edited by wanderer

18 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

So embarrassing to ask a potentially top class player a second time but fine to have Brown do the call up hokey cokey.ย 

Yep,smacks of desperation

If he didn,t feel he was scottish enough or wantedย to play for Scotland the first timeย of asking theres no reason why he should the second .Of course theย only reason he would is becauseย he thinks he has no chance of playing for the country of his birth

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

He didn't knock us back..... The press jump on a quote from Malky MacKay about him asking if he wanted to join up for the Dutch game and all he said was he just asked to not be selected until he had proven himself a bit at club level (there has been nothing direct from the player about where his international future is).

Seems to be his own club manager that is pushing for him to get selected for Scotland.

So basically,i,m waiting to see if i get a call up for england first.If not i,ll get back to youย ;)

Just now, Langtonian said:

So basically,i,m waiting to see if i get a call up for england first.If not i,ll get back to youย ;)

That is one way of looking at it..... honest answer, I do not think international football interests/excites him all that much.

England won (or reached the final or last 4 at least) atย just about EVERY youth tournament going last year, and he was nowhere near any England squads (and this has been the case for a number of years).

Now his own manger wants him playing international football, and seems to want it to be us (I am reserving judgement just now, as this boy could be to Mourinho whatย Januzaj was to Moyes).

Great servant, loved the guy when playing for Scotland.ย If he done that caper he was up to you yesterday in a Scotland topย I'd have loved him even more. Unfortunately at club level I think he's not done himself justice. Playing almost ย your whole career at Celtic was a waste of his talents and should have got himself down to the EPL in his late 20s at least. He was made for that league.ย 

45 minutes ago, Langtonian said:

Yep,smacks of desperation

If he didn,t feel he was scottish enough or wantedย to play for Scotland the first timeย of asking theres no reason why he should the second .Of course theย only reason he would is becauseย he thinks he has no chance of playing for the country of his birth

Think he was actually asked for the U21 side. In any case, he had hardly played a game for ManU whereas now he has played 15 I think and has established himself. Mourinho said that he will consult with his Scottish dad.

35 minutes ago, wanderer said:

That is one way of looking at it..... honest answer, I do not think international football interests/excites him all that much.

England won (or reached the final or last 4 at least) atย just about EVERY youth tournament going last year, and he was nowhere near any England squads (and this has been the case for a number of years).

Now his own manger wants him playing international football, and seems to want it to be us (I am reserving judgement just now, as this boy could be to Mourinho whatย Januzaj was to Moyes).

And that suggests that they tend to promote through the ranks.ย  They are not especially well served in defensive mid. so they maywant to bring him on board to compete with the like of Dier or Reuben-Cheek or Milner or whoever.

9 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

And that suggests that they tend to promote through the ranks.ย  They are not especially well served in defensive mid. so they maywant to bring him on board to compete with the like of Dier or Reuben-Cheek or Milner or whoever.

Agree.

Matt Target who started out with us, but switched back to England pretty fast was in the England U21 squad that finished 3rd at last summers Euro's, but he has went through the ranks with England over the years (that hints that he will be in Englands long term plans).

McTominay on the other hand has not played international football at any level (do not even think he has ever been called up for England, but I am certain he was in a Scotland youth squad about 3/4 years ago, just never played) and being at Man United, I would be really shocked if he has gone this long and slipped completely under their radar.

Might be a bit of a alien concept, but at this stage in his career I just do not think he is all that fussed about international football.

Remains to be seen, butย Mourinho has certainly gave the "come and get him!" signals to Scotland.

Edited by wanderer