Match thread - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match thread

wheres the pies

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

It was mentioned in commentary about how deep we were sitting back that was the problem for most of the match. That may have been down to anxiety and we never really shook ourselves out of that. We were lucky to get the draw which is gutting really. I can see why people want Strachan out and at the moment I couldn't care less either way but it scares the shite out of me who the SFA would get to replace him.

Agreed.  I guess the frustration is his conservatism and slowness to change.  If he changed things more rapidly, injected new faces the result might still be the same but he would face less criticism than sticking with tried and tested.

Phillips was indeed shite but I'm not buying this Forrest garbage. He'd have been equally shite as he has been in every single one of his caps to date.

Also thought Fletcher had a decent game tonight but he absolutely has to score that one late on. That might have given us a shout, as it was we got the equaliser too late to really press for a winner.

Just now, macy37 said:

We started with a whimper and ended with a whimper.

Another horrible campaign. Let’s face it there’s no real massive positive highlights is there? If I’m missing them please point them out to me....

I hope to f*** I never have to sit next to you at Hampden. You are one miserable, pessimistic f***ing doom merchant who seems to thrive on us failing. 

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I wouldn't put it down to that. I'd put it down to the midfield four in a line midway inside our own half for a lot of the time instead of pressing up the pitch.

we were a screener light so they were able to play the ball about at will in front of our back four

second half Fletcher and McArthur were already out on their feet as a result

no one in world football plays a 442 anymore

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

There’s the emergence of some players that’s a positive but unfortunately I feel like everything we do is in spite of the manager. 

Shocking tactics tonight 

That should be a given in every campaign.

Fair few changes going forward I would imagine,  Can't see either Fletcher or Brown featuring too much in the future, Naismith played his last, Hanley and Martin gone backwards. Time for some others to step up.  Burke has not proved the wonder kid yet, Harper, Gauld seem further away than ever.  McGinn, Armstrong, Fleck, McGregor all possibilities for midfield?  Defensively and offensively however the cupbaord still looks pretty bare (except for left backs!)

37 minutes ago, the_fadiator said:

Lost the midfield, showing 4-4-2 isn't for our players. They aren't good enough. McArthur, Bannan, Fletcher, Phillips didn't work, though I thought Fletcher had a very good game. 

Ultimately Lithuania at home killed us. 

Can we give it a fkn rest on Fletcher. He let the ball sail over his head for the equaliser. Deal with it in the same way Tierney did minutes later, then Anya comes on and we have a much improved chance of seeing out the game. 

27 minutes ago, munro7 said:

Phillips was indeed shite but I'm not buying this Forrest garbage. He'd have been equally shite as he has been in every single one of his caps to date.

Also thought Fletcher had a decent game tonight but he absolutely has to score that one late on. That might have given us a shout, as it was we got the equaliser too late to really press for a winner.

Forrest has over 20 caps and hasn't a goal or even an assist against his name.

27 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I would move heaven and earth to get Michael O'Neill.

He'll certainly leave Northern Ireland as/when their world cup campaign ends.

They pay him a pittance, he's performed miracles for ages now there and many in their squad are well into their 30s so think they'll be a break up and they don't have a huge pool of options to replace them so they'll probably fall back to being 4th in groups.

Not sure though if his first choice will be to try to pull another long suffering national team kicking and screaming to a major tournament for the first time in a generation.

He will surely get club offers and good ones at that.