The Flow Of People To Yes - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Flow Of People To Yes

Thankfully, Ive not seen as much movement to No as I was expecting although those that maybe have are more likely to stay quiet than advertise it. Still, there was a serious backlash against the BBC last night and I am seeing one or two move toward Yes because of the propaganda machine going into top gear. And the Empire Strikes Back put a spring right back in my step - still laughing at it now. Yes campaign is awesome.

Had a couple of down days but I back feeling a bit bullish now. If No had done this around Tuesday last week, we'd have been in trouble but I think there's plenty of time to recover.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a freind who work abroad aboard a rov boat,i dont know the ins and outs of it but he gets tax back when he spen xxx amont of days out the country, until about three weeks ago he was yes now he is not voting as he says that that they will do away with this tax break in an iscotland, can anyone shine some light on this? As far as i was aware income tax will stay the same?

"Detailed policies on tax and spending will be set out in party manifestos for the 2016 election and thereafter in the first budget in an independent Scotland."

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2013/11/9348/7

I have a freind who work abroad aboard a rov boat,i dont know the ins and outs of it but he gets tax back when he spen xxx amont of days out the country, until about three weeks ago he was yes now he is not voting as he says that that they will do away with this tax break in an iscotland, can anyone shine some light on this? As far as i was aware income tax will stay the same?

He is referring to the seafarer's earnings deductions scheme. Basically if you work on a ship and spend more than 183 days out of the country then you can claim back your income tax. I also work on ships and am eligible for this.

Short answer is we don't know what future Scottish governments will do with this particular tax break or the general tax system. We might keep it (many other countries have similar systems for seafarers), they might get rid of it. I can understand people in this situation voting no or abstaining because loosing this tax break could make quite a dent in their pay packet. I'm still voting yes though.

The problem you've got is that the amount of people who qualify for the SED scheme is quite small in the grand scheme of things so getting a definite commitment regarding it pre referendum (or pre election in any normal election) is pretty difficult, because it is not a priority for most people.

Edited by J o h n

Following a ruling from the EU, from the 6th April 2011anyone who is resident in a country in the European Union, or the European Economic Area, will be entitled to claim SED in the same way as a UK resident. http://www.sktax.co.uk/FAQRetrieve.aspx?ID=34460

Thankfully, Ive not seen as much movement to No as I was expecting although those that maybe have are more likely to stay quiet than advertise it. Still, there was a serious backlash against the BBC last night and I am seeing one or two move toward Yes because of the propaganda machine going into top gear. And the Empire Strikes Back put a spring right back in my step - still laughing at it now. Yes campaign is awesome.

Had a couple of down days but I back feeling a bit bullish now. If No had done this around Tuesday last week, we'd have been in trouble but I think there's plenty of time to recover.

Wish I could say the same :-(

Following a ruling from the EU, from the 6th April 2011anyone who is resident in a country in the European Union, or the European Economic Area, will be entitled to claim SED in the same way as a UK resident. http://www.sktax.co.uk/FAQRetrieve.aspx?ID=34460

This is only applicable to earnings in the UK which you have paid UK tax on though so not sure how many people this would actually apply to in practice. Better explanation here: https://www.nautilusint.org/Campaigns/pages/SED%20change%20of%20practice.aspx

This is how it was always going to be. The assembled forces of the establishment are truly a sight to behold. Awesome would be a fair description.

But when has this really ever been different, it is just blatantly obvious now but it was always like this just more hidden. And yet here we are - 70 seats and days away from the question getting asked for the first time in 300+ kunting years. This is not an accident that we have overcome these odds to get to where we are right now, right here.

It has a feel of destiny to it. There is a deep sense of peace in me facing this onslaught. You get to the point where you just accept it is what it is and carry on towards the prize.

We have always come from behind.

One last time.

Edited by thplinth

This is how it was always going to be. The assembled forces of the establishment are truly a sight to behold. Awesome would be a fair description.

But when has this really ever been different, it is just blatantly obvious now but it was always like this just more hidden. And yet here we are - 70 seats and days away from the question getting asked for the first time in 300+ kunting years. This is not an accident that we have overcome these odds to get to where we are right now, right here.

It has a feel of destiny to it. There is a deep sense of peace in me facing this onslaught. You get to the point where you just accept it is what it is and carry on towards the prize.

We have always come from behind.

One last time.

Exactly i knew this would happen,the darkest hour is just before the dawn.

My friend asked the First Minister about this, here's the reply he got:

4A213B48-1B07-442E-A548-46B8D74C32D8_zps

A former college classmate (still in touch on Facebook only) was previously firmly in the No camp. So much that I put him down as a lost cause who couldn't be changed.

He's just posted that hi postal vote will be sent tomorrow, with a YES!!

Some people just want attention. :wink2:

Good work by the way.

A former college classmate (still in touch on Facebook only) was previously firmly in the No camp. So much that I put him down as a lost cause who couldn't be changed.

He's just posted that hi postal vote will be sent tomorrow, with a YES!!

I have a story like that too.

A firm No voter - even up to 2 weeks ago - has now came out for Yes and it's the scaremongering from the media he said. His actual words "I don't want to live in a country that gets victory by bullying".

Hopefully there's a few of these moments going on across Scotland.

Thanks lads good to hear - and yes, probably good to switch the TV off and to stop reading the London Evening Standard (which is bordering on the hysterical).

RIP GB - the image is imaginative though

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/rip-gb-what-will-happen-if-scotland-votes-yes-in-the-referendum-on-independence-9723394.html

had a quiet night thinking the vote up, and to me it feels like the Italy game in 2007. We thought we didnt stand a chance in that group, the teams in it where no pushovers, and we took it to them. all to the point of going in against Italy with it all to play for. 5pm kick off in the pissing rain, Hampden bouncing and everyone bound by the thought " we might just do this". then it was swept away from us, and it wasnt though lack of trying, but there we ended. I cried at half time and full time that day, as I was so proud of how the players had done to get us that close, and how great a time we fans had had believing.

I dont want that with this, I want to win. Badly. and those who try and beat us down by dirty means cannot be allowed to win easy. we got this far with grass roots, we can get past ten PM Thursday with a majority the same way.

had a quiet night thinking the vote up, and to me it feels like the Italy game in 2007. We thought we didnt stand a chance in that group, the teams in it where no pushovers, and we took it to them. all to the point of going in against Italy with it all to play for. 5pm kick off in the pissing rain, Hampden bouncing and everyone bound by the thought " we might just do this". then it was swept away from us, and it wasnt though lack of trying, but there we ended. I cried at half time and full time that day, as I was so proud of how the players had done to get us that close, and how great a time we fans had had believing.

I dont want that with this, I want to win. Badly. and those who try and beat us down by dirty means cannot be allowed to win easy. we got this far with grass roots, we can get past ten PM Thursday with a majority the same way.

Welom back son.