Scottish teams in Europe - Page 15 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

I've never understood how it is 100% okay for us fans to roar abuse at players yet as soon as any give banter back, like gesturing 5-1, it's call the police time as I'm morally offended.

Good on any players for giving a bit back.

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

Then Griffiths (having already sewn the seeds) goes to take another corner approx. 3 minutes later...

19 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

If your point is that anything Griffiths did gives any sort of justification for what went on.....wel,l you're making a cock of yourself Scotty CTA ?

Anyone attempting to attribute even 1% of blame to Griffiths is a complete idiot. 

A scumbag threw a bottle at him and folk are trying to blame him?!? Feck me. 

Edited by Parklife

Griffiths was in the powder room and knowingly, willingly lit the torch paper.

"If your point is that anything Griffiths did gives any sort of justification for what went on.....wel,l you're making a cock of yourself Scotty CTA"

37 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Anyone attempting to attribute even 1% of blame to Griffiths is a complete idiot. 

Aye, giving the '5-1/6iar' sign to hostile fans a few feet away and then tying a green and white scarf to the home goal posts at the home of 'the troubles' is in no way inciting a reaction. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

I've never understood how it is 100% okay for us fans to roar abuse at players yet as soon as any give banter back, like gesturing 5-1, it's call the police time as I'm morally offended.

Good on any players for giving a bit back.

In this case, I believe that it was sensible for Celtic not to take their original allocation, and in this case, I believe that Griffiths shouldn't have deliberately riled the crowd in any way. 

11 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

"If your point is that anything Griffiths did gives any sort of justification for what went on.....wel,l you're making a cock of yourself Scotty CTA"

Aye, giving the '5-1/6iar' sign to hostile fans a few feet away and then tying a green and white scarf to the home goal posts at the home of 'the troubles' is in no way inciting a reaction. :rolleyes:

You really are making a monumental knob of yourself here.......but do carry on. ?

20 minutes ago, Alan said:

Starting the season earlier is not going to improve the players touch, awareness, confidence, ability to find space, professionalism, athleticism or diet.  Lets get that fixed.

Perhaps not, but think back to those games where SPFL sides used to draw with or beat EPL sides in friendlies. It was because they were about 3 weeks ahead in preparation. You're kidding yourself if you think conditioning isn't a massive factor.

3 minutes ago, slasher said:

You really are making a monumental knob of yourself here.......but do carry on. ?

I'm not.

Riling a hostile crowd in Belfast is a terrible idea.

No good could possibly come from it.

(At least you 'signed' your name to that post.)

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

I'm not.

Riling a hostile crowd in Belfast is a terrible idea.

No good could possibly come from it.

(At least you 'signed' your name to that post.)

Yeah sorry about that, the quote thingy was playing up.

Listen I'm really not sure where you're coming from here. Fans are great ones for doling out abuse then coming over all holier than thou when they get a bit back. Making a 5-1 gesture and tying a scarf round a post is in no way justification for throwing a bottle at the man or trying to enter the field of play to attack him.

Are you the guy that's some kind of Christian or am I mixing you up? If so, you've some funny ideas about what's right and what's wrong.....in my opinion. You should be directing your distaste at the morons in the stand rather than trying to give some justification to their behaviour.

Edited by slasher

1 minute ago, slasher said:

Yeah sorry about that, the quote thingy was playing up.

I understand.

Listen I'm really not sure where you're coming from here.

I'm coming from the point of view that the actions of the Linfield mob and Griffiths' actions should be dealt with separately (and not who is worse/more to blame).

Linfield fans - very wrong.

Griffiths - very wrong.

6 minutes ago, slasher said:

Fans are great ones for doling out abuse then coming over all holier than thou when they get a bit back.

The professional footballers should act as... well, professionals... and be big enough and mature enough to block out/ignore the crowd.

(The football pitch shouldn't be a tit-for-tat school 'playground'.)

10 minutes ago, slasher said:

Making a 5-1 gesture and tying a scarf round a post is in no way justification for throwing a bottle at the man or trying to enter the field of play to attack him.

Keeping in mind the potential volatility of this match, any fanning of the flames would be ill-advised.

12 minutes ago, slasher said:

Are you the guy that's some kind of Christian or am I mixing you up? 

Correct. I'm a Bible-believing Christian.

Jesus is my defence.

12 minutes ago, slasher said:

If so, you've some funny ideas about what's right and what's wrong.....in my opinion.

What do you disagree with that I have just posted?

3 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

I understand.

I'm coming from the point of view that the actions of the Linfield mob and Griffiths' actions should be dealt with separately (and not who is worse/more to blame).

Linfield fans - very wrong.

Griffiths - very wrong.

The professional footballers should act as... well, professionals... and be big enough and mature enough to block out/ignore the crowd.

(The football pitch shouldn't be a tit-for-tat school 'playground'.)

Keeping in mind the potential volatility of this match, any fanning of the flames would be ill-advised.

Correct. I'm a Bible-believing Christian.

Jesus is my defence.

What do you disagree with that I have just posted?

I'm pretty sure all the Celtic players were aware of the background to yesterdays game. Aware of the club crest being burned on bonfires, aware of the sectarian and racist abuse directed at Scott Sinclair and others. They're human, they react. You're guilty of equating that with Intimidation and physical violence.

Have a word with yourself, you're havering pish ?

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Starting the season earlier is not going to improve the players touch, awareness, confidence, ability to find space, professionalism, athleticism or diet.  Lets get that fixed.

Undoubtedly most points are true (rather depressingly Tommy Wright said that St Johnstone weren't as tehcnically good as whoever dumped them out and it begs the question why not and even more to the point why do we keep hearing that refrain).  However I think there is a difference between 'fit' and 'match fit', a sharpness that can only be acquired by playing competitive games.  I guess the situatio has got worse because Scottish clubs are entering these competitions earlier, less chance to acquire that match fitness and less chance for new players to get used to one another.

1 hour ago, slasher said:

I'm pretty sure all the Celtic players were aware of the background to yesterdays game. Aware of the club crest being burned on bonfires, aware of the sectarian and racist abuse directed at Scott Sinclair and others. They're human, they react. You're guilty of equating that with Intimidation and physical violence.

Yes, I would be a person that equates sectarian and racist abuse with intimidation.

(What's your point?)

10 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Could it not have been a signal to his team mates of where he was going to put the ball and where he wanted players to be? Maybe been working on a few different moves in training and that was the 6th different move? 

Just an idea likes

No. The tying of the scarf round the goalpost left no one in doubt he wanted it up them.

25 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Yes, I would be a person that equates sectarian and racist abuse with intimidation.

(What's your point?)

You're being deliberately obtuse now. Can't be bothered. Am off out now. Enjoy your evening. ?

You're being deliberately obtuse now. Can't be bothered. Am off out now. Enjoy your evening. ?

No, you said that I was "havering pish".

All I did was point out that you can't keep up.

Linfield fans and Griffiths both wrong.

Please accept the truth 'green specs'. :)

26 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

No, you said that I was "havering pish".

All I did was point out that you can't keep up.

Linfield fans and Griffiths both wrong.

Please accept the truth 'green specs'. :)

You're entitled to your opinion / view Scotty.

Most will disagree with you in terms of this one I suspect.

4 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Someone threw a bottle at him. You know that, yeah? You're being utterly blinkered, Scotty  

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Perhaps not, but think back to those games where SPFL sides used to draw with or beat EPL sides in friendlies. It was because they were about 3 weeks ahead in preparation. You're kidding yourself if you think conditioning isn't a massive factor.

Is this before EPL sides went stratospheric due to mega tv money, better foreigners, supreme conditioning and sports science while we still tak about teachers strikes, tanner ba and street football which were 40+ years ago?

4 hours ago, Redz said:

You're entitled to your opinion / view Scotty.

Most will disagree with you in terms of this one I suspect.

How many Celtic players featured in the game?

And how many of those players incited a crowd that would use any excuse for trouble?

One?

Correct... One.

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

Someone threw a bottle at him. You know that, yeah? 

Sadly, cans and coins were also thrown at him (after he taunted a mental crowd in a mental city).

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

You're being utterly blinkered, Scotty  

I'm not.

Were any of the other celtic players targeted? (Or just the one that gestured to the crowd, time-wasted, made the GTF sign to the ref, got booked, and then later tied a green and white scarf to the goals right in front of the home support ensuring someone trying to get their hands on him and an appearance from the riot police?)