Team for Slovenia - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Slovenia

er yir macaroon

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Ahhh so now we're saying Burke is pish and has an attitude problem (partly because he wore joggy bottoms in training :lol: ). 

Despite the fact that he clearly isn't pish and that there's been plenty folk from his club complimenting his attitude and work ethic. 

Always good to slag off one of our brightest talents for no reason though :ok: 

seems like decent insight to me.  If he's training like he doesn't care how is that not noteworthy?

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

How is he clearly mis-managing him exactly? By your own posts you recognize he isnt ready. He is getting matches in friendlies and chances but has failed to live up to expectations so won't figure in key matches at this time. Seems fair enough to me.

After the Lithuania game he was clearly made a scapegoat. Jettisoned completely while all the other, more experienced players who under performed, traveled to Slovakia and were soundly humped. What do you think that does for the confidence of a young laddie? 

Then again on Wednesday, a shite team performance and Burke completely jettisoned. 

6 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

seems like decent insight to me.  If he's training like he doesn't care how is that not noteworthy?

I don't know how he trained. All i am saying that every single thing i have ever heard about his attitude has been complimentary. From current coaches and ex-coaches. So i'd be surprised if the complete opposite were true. 

The jobby bottoms line is laughable nonsense. 

So your sole gripe is you feel he was made a scapegoat after Lithuania? It was evidently no big issue as Burke has been involved since and still not impressed so cannot be seen as being involved in must win games at present. His time may come but that time is not just now going on his current showings for us. No doubt he'll continue to get his chances so I cannot see how this is mis-management.

Craig Brown wouldn't have let him onto the training pitch wearing trackies. 

I know it may be an insignificant point, but it stood out to me. His body language was shocking, he looked completely disinterested and he didn't look as if he enjoyed being there. Everyone else was up for the session and buzzing, Burke was lazing about in his trackies. I hate to even suggest it, but he had the look of someone who already thought he had made it.

All top pros will tell you you need to train as you play, constantly at 100%, always on your game and focussed. He was the opposite. 

34 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Give him chances, give him a run in the side. Make him feel valued. Rather than dropping him completely. 

There's players ahead of him who are more deserving of a place. I'd be annoyed if i was playing regularly and Burke got a game ahead of me. 

If he's being mismanaged by not getting a game, then perhaps he'd be better playing for the 21s until he is ready for the first team squad. 

17 minutes ago, Parklife said:

After the Lithuania game he was clearly made a scapegoat. Jettisoned completely while all the other, more experienced players who under performed, traveled to Slovakia and were soundly humped. What do you think that does for the confidence of a young laddie? 

Then again on Wednesday, a shite team performance and Burke completely jettisoned. 

I don't know how he trained. All i am saying that every single thing i have ever heard about his attitude has been complimentary. From current coaches and ex-coaches. So i'd be surprised if the complete opposite were true. 

The jobby bottoms line is laughable nonsense. 

If he needs mollycoddled to that extent then he's got bigger problems than not making the bench. 

17 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

There's players ahead of him who are more deserving of a place. I'd be annoyed if i was playing regularly and Burke got a game ahead of me. 

If he's being mismanaged by not getting a game, then perhaps he'd be better playing for the 21s until he is ready for the first team squad. 

Put him in the Under 21's then. If Strachan doesn't rate him or think he's ready then leave him in the Under 21's

14 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

8th paragraph in this article. It may be school teacher nonsense to some, but Brown got the very best from his team by following his principles. Don't think you'll find many arguing that point ??

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27958070

You genuinely think "he was wearing trackie bottoms, therefore he has a bad attitude" is logical? 

7 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Yes;

:lol::lol::lol: 

Utterly laughable. 

I seen Matt Ritchie warming up last night in trackie bottoms. WHAT A DISGRACE. HIS ATTITUDE STINKS. 

43 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Put him in the Under 21's then. If Strachan doesn't rate him or think he's ready then leave him in the Under 21's

You genuinely think "he was wearing trackie bottoms, therefore he has a bad attitude" is logical? 

At least i finally know why i didn't make it as a footballer, wish I'd worn shorts all those years ago now ??

I have only seen Burke playing for Scotland. This season, IMO, he has fared as follows. Largely unimpressive and ran up a lot of blind alleys v Malta away. At home to Lithuania he seemed to be the one player who had a bit of willingness to get stuck into/got at them before being, IMO, surprisingly subbed. Against Canada he didn't do anything of note but then neither did the rest of the team. He has had bits of three games for us this season, he seemed decent in one and largely ineffectual in the other two - but he wasn't own his own in that capacity, the team as a whole were largely poor in those three games too so he should't be a scapegoat. I think the fact that he seems to be mainly on the bench for Leipzig suggests he is not quite there at the moment. It will come, I am sure, but he has a bit to learn still.

So, we win.. we're back in the mix for finishing 2nd, and everyone just wants to complain about this player or that player. Kind of a sad state of affairs is it not?

I was worried for this game after the Canada match and how unbelievably badly the likes of Fletcher and Wallace played. But what a turn around. Well done to all of them.

Martin and Mulgrew were pretty solid at the back, with Brown, Armstrong and Morrison making the running infront we managed to pretty much shut them down. 1 shot on target all game is great. Mulgrew's distribution was also nice to have. Him and Martin being better on the ball than Berra and Hanley meant that when their forwards pressed us we could deal with it, turn and move the ball off to someone instead of getting robbed or misplacing a pass. Got to be these two for the next game.

Tierney settled in pretty quick at right back. Had a few moments early on where his 'wrong-footedness' was an issue, stopping him playing balls forward down the line and presenting the winger with a chance to pressure him, but he adapted quickly and ended up using it as an advantage to take the ball in directions the winger didn't anticipate. I think we're better off with a right footer there, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him continue there against england.

Armstrong had a good game. Reliable on the ball, didn't give it away, moved it one, looked for a a forward pass, played with confidence. Didn't look like a player on his debut. Solid pick for the middle of the park in the next match.

Morrison did ok. Wasn't a big influence, unlucky not to score a great goal. But might be tempted to give Cairney a look in that role, given his proclivity for shooting from range. Cairney looked tidy and in control against Canada, him and Armstrong working behind the striker could be really good to watch.

Snodgrass had a good first half (as he did against Canada, despite some claims) and could have had 2 assists. He faded badly in the 2nd (just like against Canada) and that would suggest that he's not at all fit. Still put in some great corners and the dinked cross for Griffiths was lovely.

Forrest.. worked hard, gave Tierney a decent amount of protection, at the expense of making forward runs. Had no options to hit up front once Naismith was on. Would play Fraser ahead of him, but didn't do as badly as some suggest.

Griffiths. Really unlucky.. you look at is and you've got to think Rhodes would have has a hattrick in that game. Griffiths just seems to be cursed. Up front in now the one big question for the next game. Not sure if Griffiths missed cos he was rusty or just too desperate and so snatched at them. His overall play was good tho, so I'd like to give him another chance.. but we can't afford to be missing those kind of chances against england.

For the subs.. Anya was lively and still an asset. Really should have buried his chance but can understand the miss given it was likely his first touch. His energy and pace are assets, especially if Snoddy continues to be a 50 minute player. Naismith was pretty poor. Hid a lot, drifted out of position too much and we ended up left with just Forrest in the box. Shouldn't be anywhere near the lineup for me.

Chris Martin.. fair play to him. To get that reception and still be focused enough to go do the business is commendable. Not anyone's first choice still I imagine, but deserves respect for getting the three points. And I'm not buying this "we weren't booing him, we were booing Strachan's decision" thing. For the player it's the same. You weren't booing the player for being crap, you were booing the decision to play him because he's crap.. wow.. great. Take a look at yourselves, you're not children, so stop acting like it.

For england.. I'd swap Cairney for Morrison and Forrest for Fraser. Win or lose in June I think we're back in the running and everyone can take a bit of confidence from this result..

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If he needs mollycoddled to that extent then he's got bigger problems than not making the bench. 

I never said he needed mollycoddled. He's had 3 games for us and for have concluded he's not good enough and has a shite attitude(despite him probably being our best player in one of the games he's played btw). 

Maybe i just think that expecting him to be brilliant right away is asking a bit much and that we need to actually give him a chance. Never mind though, he wore joggy bottoms at training, so get him to fvck :ok: 

10 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I never said he needed mollycoddled. He's had 3 games for us and for have concluded he's not good enough and has a shite attitude(despite him probably being our best player in one of the games he's played btw). 

Maybe i just think that expecting him to be brilliant right away is asking a bit much and that we need to actually give him a chance. Never mind though, he wore joggy bottoms at training, so get him to fvck :ok: 

He will continue to get his chance but at present he is not quite there. I am not ruling him out becoming a key player for us but at present now is not his time. I don't see what is wrong with that assessment.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He will continue to get his chance but at present he is not quite there. I am not ruling him out becoming a key player for us but at present now is not his time. I don't see what is wrong with that assessment.

he manages to come on as an impact player for a top side for the last 10-20 mins

maybe doing a specific role, battering down the right late on when others are tired

strachan suggested as much in interviews last weekend that he would do that, and only that too for us

which made sense to me

then played him out of position in the friendly and dumped him from the squad for the game

1 minute ago, Bino's said:

he manages to come on as an impact player for a top side for the last 10-20 mins

maybe doing a specific role, battering down the right late on when others are tired

strachan suggested as much in interviews last weekend that he would do that, and only that too for us

which made sense to me

then played him out of position in the friendly and dumped him from the squad for the game

Not sure what point you are trying to make. Burke is clearly not ready and I am glad he never played yesterday. Why destroy his confidence at this level by dumping him into a huge match when he is clearly not ready. And sorry but how much impact has he made coming on as sub for Leipzig? I think that is an over-exaggeration.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Not sure what point you are trying to make. Burke is clearly not ready and I am glad he never played yesterday. Why destroy his confidence at this level by dumping him into a huge match when he is clearly not ready. And sorry but how much impact has he made coming on as sub for Leipzig? I think that is an over-exaggeration.

Leipzig would not continue to be subbing him on, if he was making no impact

and they are a top side

he seems to be ready for that

so we should be using him in the exact same role

not as a starter

Give me stats of his impact though ie assists and goals. I can only remember one in his first or second game. If he has been so impressive he'd have made his way into the starting line-ups by now but hasn't. 

As for your earlier point about being played out of position it doesn't wash. Wherever he is on the pitch when he got the ball he still didn't deliver an end product which is not encouraging.

51 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Give me stats of his impact though ie assists and goals. I can only remember one in his first or second game. If he has been so impressive he'd have made his way into the starting line-ups by now but hasn't. 

As for your earlier point about being played out of position it doesn't wash. Wherever he is on the pitch when he got the ball he still didn't deliver an end product which is not encouraging.

How many assists has James forrest had for us? If he could cross, pass, tackle, shoot or had more than the build of a ten year old laddie he would be some player.

Just now, GordyA88 said:

How many assists has James forrest had for us? If he could cross, pass, tackle, shoot or had more than the build of a ten year old laddie he would be some player.

But he has looked interested, put in the effort and beaten players although end product has not been there but still merits a place in the side above Burke.