Midweek fitba - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Midweek fitba

3 hours ago, OLAS said:

St.Johnstone's time-wasting tactics all second half were shocking. Not one booking yet at least 10 minutes were wasted by players slow walking past the ball at every throw in or freekick. Referee was hopeless. 

They are quite a cynical team. I suppose you could call it good game management. Gets them results though.

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 02/02/2017 at 10:19 AM, Larky Masher said:

Totally agree with the stuborness and Kiernan but I think 50/50 with the signing is being very generous and part of the problem is Sendross aside he's only signed players from England, I'd argue there could be better options (and better value) further afield.

Mi

On 02/02/2017 at 10:36 AM, thewolf_1980 said:

I knew that was coming!

He was mostly good last season but he suddenly thinks he's Barry Ferguson. And he certainly isn't Barry Ferguson. Warburton would start to get the fans back on-side on Saturday if he dropped Halliday for Holt and Kiernan for absolutely anybody else, but I won't hold my breath. :(

23 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I'd elevate Foderingham to "Good" and you've also missed out Tavernier who has probably averaged out at average!  I agree with most of the rest of your assessments however I don't really think you can blame the manager for Rossiter's lack of games so far.  

You can also add in Oduwa (Fail), Zelalem (Average), Forrester (Average), King (Average)

Press seem to have the knives out for Warburton after that. Fair? Or would you give him longer?

1 minute ago, ShedTA said:

Press seem to have the knives out for Warburton after that. Fair? Or would you give him longer?

They should give him longer. If Barry Mckay had scored to make it 2-2 in September, they'd be top of the league now.

4 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Mi

This humping has been coming for some time but maybe it's the "calibration" he needed to make him change however he doesn't have many options to play with (especially in defence) though that is his fault.

Guest BlueGaz
36 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Tricky one.  What if we come 2nd/3rd this season?  Acceptable?  I would say most would say yes in our first year in league.

What about his signings and the standard our squad is?  Acceptable?  I would say most would say no, not good enough.

But I suppose it can only get better and would give him another year.  To challenge for the league we don't have to close the gap on Celtic, we just have to build a gap between us and everyone else.

32 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Mi

Absolutely should get more time. His target this season was European football, at least publicly. So he's on target for that. 

Ive said this quite a few times now, he built a team last season (with spaces on the bench sometimes) and this season was about building the squad. He's managed that fine and but for a couple of better signings we'd be well ahead in 2nd (1 defensive midfielder and 1 good centre half). Still wouldn't challenge this Celtic team but that's a given anyway. 

The instant success last season and the Celtic cup game gave a false picture of how good/bad we actually are. On our day we'll pump teams but we give absolutely everybody a chance against us because we're too open at the back. 

If we sort out the defensive midfielder and the centre half I think we could cruise 2nd next season. Or we if we don't we'll struggle in the top 4.

So, give Warburton the summer and first dozen games next season at least. 

Guest BlueGaz
Just now, RenfrewBlue said:

Ive said this quite a few times now, he built a team last season (with spaces on the bench sometimes) and this season was about building the squad.

Agree our best team can perform, and when they do they look good, but they don't do it near often enough.  But squad? He has not built a good enough squad this year, or more specifically, he could have built a better squad this year.  he has had time and a bit of money.

I think Warburton has been found out a bit. On RS last night they were talking about the lack of success in the transfers he has done. For all the players he has brought in, all but three of the team against Hearts were either already at Rangers, or bought in his first season. So, it seems he has spunked a lot of money to little or no avail. This with the second largest budget in Scotland.

Guest BlueGaz
4 minutes ago, jailender said:

I think Warburton has been found out a bit. 

I am starting to lean towards that view, but I'm also not a fan of quick turnaround in managers and have seen managers in the past have a shakey start and then turnaround, which i suppose i am hoping for.

32 minutes ago, jailender said:

the second largest budget in Scotland.

Can we add this to the Wanky Phrases thread too please? ;)

This is certainly a critical period for Mark Warburton and how he reacts to Wednesday night will determine whether or not he stays at Rangers. The best time to reassess the situation is at the end of the season. If he finishes 2nd, he would have earned the opportunity to take us into Europe next season. But if he doesn't...

I know that his transfer record is being scrutinised at board level so the directors will have a decision to make even if we do finish 2nd - whether to allow him to enter the transfer market again in the summer with an almost certainly enhanced budget and run the risk of more failures, or to thank him for getting us to where we are and let him move on. Personally, I am uncertain whether he is capable of taking us any further forward. He was brought in to replicate what he achieved at Brentford, namely bringing in players for relatively small fees and selling them on at considerable profits (Scott Hogan this week being one such example) however this looks unlikely with the players he has brought in, with the likely exception of Wes Foderingham. Tomorrow's game against Ross County is hugely important for him. If we are 0-0 or worse at half time, the fans' reaction could be interesting.

In the few minutes I could tolerate listening to on Radio Scotland last night, I was interested to hear from one journalist (I think he was a journalist?) say that Warburton apparently turned down a Championship job last month. I presumed it was Rotherham though, so perhaps not all that surprising that he declined it.

On another note, I really wish that Radio Scotland and RFC would stop being all arsey and make friends again. From my interpretation, last night's studio pundits generated their entire debate, plus Richard Wilson's subsequent article on the website today which parroted the programme discussions almost verbatim, on Warburton's 60 second, immediate post-match interview on BT Sport rather than the more reasoned and critical analysis that I thought he gave to RangersTV, presumably once the dust had settled. I acknowledge that RFC have partly caused this however it does not allow for reasoned, healthy debate when contributors to a programme base their critiques on a brief, emotive post-match reaction rather than asking pertinent questions to the individual to ascertain their views, rather than what they perceive to be their views.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Absolutely should get more time. His target this season was European football, at least publicly. So he's on target for that. 

Ive said this quite a few times now, he built a team last season (with spaces on the bench sometimes) and this season was about building the squad. He's managed that fine and but for a couple of better signings we'd be well ahead in 2nd (1 defensive midfielder and 1 good centre half). Still wouldn't challenge this Celtic team but that's a given anyway. 

The instant success last season and the Celtic cup game gave a false picture of how good/bad we actually are. On our day we'll pump teams but we give absolutely everybody a chance against us because we're too open at the back. 

If we sort out the defensive midfielder and the centre half I think we could cruise 2nd next season. Or we if we don't we'll struggle in the top 4.

So, give Warburton the summer and first dozen games next season at least. 

I would say the exact same for Aberdeen though!!

17 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

So interesting that most if not all rangers supporters above would give him a bit longer to prove what he can do, but the press have quite markedly rounded on him, and seem to think his time is up. Feels like an agenda in the press.

I'm not sure if you can extrapolate from TAMB Loyal to the whole of the Rangers support.

Edited by Larky Masher

9 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

I would say the exact same for Aberdeen though!!

And Motherwell...

A Marvin Johnson would make all the difference.

Had we started the season with Pearson, a 100% committed Johnson and a goalkeeper we'd be challenging for 4th place.

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

And Motherwell...

Had we started the season with Pearson, a 100% committed Johnson and a goalkeeper we'd be challenging for 4th place.

:lol: 

You could say that if we hadnt been utter shitebags in two league games against Rangers then we'd only be 6 points behind them with a game in hand. 

If's and buts though :lol:

Warburton's apparent inability to sign / pick a decent defender will be his downfall. 

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

And Motherwell...

I think that's probably fair enough.  Certainly not the worst team I've seen this season.  Despite a couple of bottle smashes against Rangers in recent weeks, I would anticipate Motherwell finishing comfortably in the top 6.

1 hour ago, thewolf_1980 said:

On another note, I really wish that Radio Scotland and RFC would stop being all arsey and make friends again.

I cannae mind what actually happened here...     who took the Huff and why?  Honest Question...

18 hours ago, Toepoke said:

They are quite a cynical team. I suppose you could call it good game management. Gets them results though.

Feeling that jealousy of pishy wee Saints having the cheek of being one of the best teams in the country once again. :P

52 minutes ago, stocky said:

I cannae mind what actually happened here...     who took the Huff and why?  Honest Question...

Rangers won and played well at Easter road and the reporter (Chris McLaughlin) focussed on the sectarian singing from the Rangers supporters in his match report rather than the performance.

Rangers banned him, and BBC won't send anyone if he's banned.

There was previous too, they did a documentary on whyte etc. and had a clip of mccoist laughing in a report about sectarianism which they took offence to.

Its murder though listening to Stevie Thompson reporting on the game from a caravan in the car park.

:lol:

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

I'm not sure if you can extrapolate from TAMB Loyal to the whole of the Rangers support.

No true that's why I said supporters above. I appreciate you are probably not fully representative, having in the past witnessed other rangers supporters forums.