Abuse of young players - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Abuse of young players

On 02/12/2016 at 1:19 PM, Blackpool78 said:

Wonder if Rangers fans will still use it to point score with Celtic fans 

Given the banner that was on display from fans of another club at the weekend I think it's a bit unfair to single out Rangers fans as the only ones who try and score points on this subject.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Debian said:

See there's a front pager with an ex Falkirk Hibaldstow and Celtic youth coach/ kitman admitting to being a beast. Actually thanks he was doing kids a favour. 

He should be hung. 

Why do all these bastards seem to think that because it happened to them they can do it to other people to make themselves feel better

If someone breaks in to your house you wouldn't break in to your neighbours to make yourself feel better so why do some folk tamper with bairns in that way

48 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Why do all these bastards seem to think that because it happened to them they can do it to other people to make themselves feel better

I haven't seen the story but there's psychology behind being sexually abused as a child making the victim more likely to do it themselves. 

23 minutes ago, OLAS said:

I haven't seen the story but there's psychology behind being sexually abused as a child making the victim more likely to do it themselves. 

I wasn't specifically meaning to the two who came out in the papers today, just in general when you read these things

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

What I'm struggling with is why clubs wouldn't have did more to report what was going on? These aren't important people they've essentially protected, not like politicians etc . .. 

There were very different attitudes to child abuse in those days.  Children were often not believed if they came forward and even when there was evidence it would often be "swept under the carpet".  In some cases that would have been to protect either a powerful or important individual or in a lot of cases from a  mistaken belief that it would be protecting the victim.  

Thankfully we are in a much better position these days in respect of our understanding but it's always dangerous to apply contemporary views and values to the actions of people in even the recent past.  

That isn't to say that to cover up child abuse was the right thing to do then but it helps to understand why it happened.

On 07/12/2016 at 6:43 PM, OLAS said:

I'm not sure, but I think Jim Fairlie argued against that, it was years ago so can't remember the jist, Mind Calmac brought it up when arguing with Jim.

Vague as feck on details, can just mind him saying the above isn't necessarily true.