Anyone else looking forward to tomorrow.... - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anyone else looking forward to tomorrow....

10 minutes ago, biffer said:

....purely because there'll be no politics on the news on election day? I'm pretty politically engaged but the last few years have been pretty draining.

To be honest I don't get all this "oh it's so tiring, all this voting" rubbish. It's hardly a big deal to nip down to your local polling station to draw a X in a box. Nobody is forced to listen to all the build up, you can pick and choose what you want to listen to and make your decision from there.

When you look at what some poor buggers have to go through to have the same privilege in various countries around the world, we have it pretty damned cushy. 

Totally agree. I keep hearing the moans about elections referendums etc. If you don't like it there's upwards of 70 channels these days. And stop buying newspapers designed for numpties and morons. Get out on the day and vote, job done.

I may be in denial but i am kinda looking forward to this Tory surge/SNP slump being extremely exaggerated

If it's not i'll be giving up on Politics for a bit

Ok, I'm on my own then! Although wrt northernscum and Orraloon, I'm not talking about voting, that's a piece of piss - it's the relentless media coverage of it that wears me down. Thought that was fairly clear in my original post. 

2 minutes ago, biffer said:

Ok, I'm on my own then! Although wrt northernscum and Orraloon, I'm not talking about voting, that's a piece of piss - it's the relentless media coverage of it that wears me down. Thought that was fairly clear in my original post. 

You don't need to watch it though. It's not like you are likely to hear something that is going to change your mind.

Guest MorayCupMan

Watched the debate last night which is usually quite rare for myself....When it comes to media coverage of politics i have never listened/watched apart from when the results are coming through, If i want info on parties/manifestos and the like I just go straight to there main sites.

I had to have a look at some of the front pages the day on the rags as some of it is just hilarious.

If there is anything to be learned in the last year is that the media/prediction polls and all that guff is usually wrong..

And yes I am looking forward to it...should be pretty interesting 

Edited by MorayCupMan

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

You don't need to watch it though. It's not like you are likely to hear something that is going to change your mind.

I don't go looking for it, don't watch QT, didn't watch the debates. Pretty much for the reason you give. But I listen to the Today programme in the morning (often wanting to punch Nick Robinson) and I still want to keep up with events. Can't isolate yourself from news completely for two months.

2 minutes ago, biffer said:

I don't go looking for it, don't watch QT, didn't watch the debates. Pretty much for the reason you give. But I listen to the Today programme in the morning (often wanting to punch Nick Robinson) and I still want to keep up with events. Can't isolate yourself from news completely for two months.

I'm sure you know how to be more selective if you wanted to be. Get your news online and just skip the UK politics bits. It's no rocket science. I think you are interested really and just want something to moan about whilst eagerly anticipating the result.;) I still can't see how it wears you out though. A 12 hour shift in MacDonald's would be fairly "draining" but how does avoiding politics, actually drain you?

Guest MorayCupMan
21 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Good chance I will be shouting at the tv in the early hours of Scotland. Hope not, but starting to fear this racist, xenophobic, ersehole, sorry, Tory surge up here. 

Round my neck of the woods the Tory is a referee as well...what a combination....I will emigrate if Robertson loses his pew up here and he gets in

Love Election Days...will be aiming to once again be the very first to vote at my polling station....and then my very favourite thing...staying up all night watching the results come in....

Really hope the YouGov polls prove the most accurate as that means the tory scum will be losing seats. Will be thrilled for Corbyn if he gains seats and even better if he can dump this government out of power.

Hope Angus Robertson keeps Moray...he is a superb politician. Mhairi Black too, hope she gets back in and my old associate Tommy Sheppard.

Defeat for Nick Clegg will be moment of celebration too if it happens...and please please northern islanders....can u get rid of that liar Carmichael??

Stuck in Hertfordshire, true blue territory.  You try to follow debates, make informed decisions etc but know there is 99.5% chance of Tories winning (conservative estimate) and wonder why you even bother.  Oh for some form of PR.  Have tried to swap my vote so I can vote SNP   but unsurprisingly when the second place candidate is the political equivalent of light years behind no one has taken up the offer.

If we can get a hung parliament again...then this time can a "progressive coalition" please please change our voting system to PR as its first act then never again can we have landslide victories with under 40% of vote (& a quarter of electorate)....politics could be changed forever. Our friend above stranded in true blue Herts would no longer have a wasted vote, likewise millions of people in safe constituencies all over....people could vote Green and it would count ...all things become possible...Clegg had such a chance but his greedy grab for power threw it away....if another chance comes it has to be taken....and for the type of PR, i prefer the multi-member STV constituencies (i think the Irish Republic use that)...gives voters the chance to select candidates within a party as well as choose the party itself...

Think Frankie has it spot on

England will vote Tory big time

The hung parliament is a facade

I'm enjoying this little final moment before hope dies

Just to add to that I have never known as little political activity.  No one round the doors, only one leaflet through the door that came from the Lib Dems.  Just feels like the Tories don't need to try and everyone else has given up.  However I'm sure that's not the case in many places.

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Think Frankie has it spot on

England will vote Tory big time

The hung parliament is a facade

I'm enjoying this little final moment before hope dies

I hope Frankie's wrong.  I think Corbyn has not done badly and looked decent and statesman like compared to May who has been utterly appaling.  I think English voters are not always get very clued up and unfortunately too many people get their views from the right wing press which dominates down south just as the unionist media dominates in Scotland.  

9 hours ago, biffer said:

....purely because there'll be no politics on the news on election day? I'm pretty politically engaged but the last few years have been pretty draining.

Completely agree,, i get really involved and possibly care to much,, i dabate a lot also has my mind going 24/7... political chill would donthe yes/snp a well needed time to recuperate,,, staying the shadows of brexit until the make a total f-up of it all

4 hours ago, mariokempes56 said:

Stuck in arsehole right wing Borders territory so all the "fermers" and white settlers will revert to type no doubt.

me too, the vitriol at my work is unbelievable.  Pure hatred for all things SNP. With no reasoning or prompt , just venting . I have a different  view from them but dont feel the need to demonise their leaders or core support. 

10 hours ago, mariokempes56 said:

Stuck in arsehole right wing Borders territory so all the "fermers" and white settlers will revert to type no doubt.

Will happily watch the fermers whine and stamp like spoilt bairns when their EU subsidies die post-Brexit.

Hell slap it into them for voting for that shower of arseholes

Edited by King Of Paisley