Celtic V Rangers - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Celtic V Rangers

Unfortunately I see us having our first defeat of the season. 

They say form goes out the window for this one but I fear the gulf in ability just now is too great, all over the park. 

I'll go for a 2-1 teddies after being 1-0 down with a screamer from Barton on the 90th minute :D 

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlueGaz
2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

thats the opinion of the author, this has been covered already but well done on missing the point Hearn is making

CAN EVERYONE STOP TALKING ABOUT THE GAME AND HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL WATCH IT THIS WEEKEND AND LISTEN TO VDA ABOUT HEARN, please.

7 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

CAN EVERYONE STOP TALKING ABOUT THE GAME AND HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL WATCH IT THIS WEEKEND AND LISTEN TO VDA ABOUT HEARN, please.

no need to be an arse about it

Edited by vanderark14

2 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Interesting that you mention Irish bars. As far as I'm aware Celtic aren't even the second best supported club in Ireland (Man Utd and Liverpool being ahead of them). 

I remember years back I was in Enniskillen on Scottish Cup Final day, Celtic v Dunfermline and it clashed with Man Utd - Millwall.  Boozer I watched it in was rammed with Man U fans, game was on 4 different TV's and a big screen. Celtic game was on one tv at the back with about 8 lads watching it.

I was quite surprised at this, but on speaking to  the Celtic fans, they said it was quite normal and that very few (comparative to EPL teams) give a shite about Celtic or Rangers. 

Irish bars, in reality, have little or nothing to do with Ireland, they are just places that UK expats worldwide go for a beer, EPL games and a cooked breakfast.

Having lived in Ireland I'd agree that very few of them have any real interest in Celtic in particular, or Scottish football in general, they pretty much all 'support' an EPL team (usually the one, as Ardal O'Hanlon said, that was top of the league when they were 12). Been the case for years, surprised at your surprise to be honest. Many still have some lingering, half-arsed sort of affection for Celtic, but that is really as much to do with the sort of institution that Rangers is as much as anything else.

Sky and the media can hype the game up all they want, reality is that it is not even our most important game in the next week. 

Three points wrapped up quickly then turn our attention to Tuesdays mauling would be my hope for Saturday. No interest in the rest of the circus. 

On Today on Radio 4 this morning Jim Naughtie did a fine job at rolling out the usual cliches from sundry ex OF players, as well as digging up a number of Neanderthals to give us the benefit of their wisdom - 'Thir'ull be 400 boadies in the hospital on Monday, man! Cannae wait!'. 

2 hours ago, Pool Q said:

On Today on Radio 4 this morning Jim Naughtie did a fine job at rolling out the usual cliches from sundry ex OF players, as well as digging up a number of Neanderthals to give us the benefit of their wisdom - 'Thir'ull be 400 boadies in the hospital on Monday, man! Cannae wait!'. 

There'll be more trouble at the Manchester Derby than at the Old Firm game tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Glasgowmancity said:

There'll be more trouble at the Manchester Derby than at the Old Firm game tomorrow.

At the actual games? I dare say you may be right. Beyond that, less clear, to say the least. In any case I was simply pointing out what had been said on the BBC, and the way Glasgow and Scotland had been portrayed to a 'national' audience.

2 hours ago, Pool Q said:

one good thing about living in the south of England is l do not miss all that shite that emanates from this fixture hate it canny see it far enough 

43 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

At the actual games? I dare say you may be right. Beyond that, less clear, to say the least. In any case I was simply pointing out what had been said on the BBC, and the way Glasgow and Scotland had been portrayed to a 'national' audience.

Yeah, I was only talking about at the game :ok:

51 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Meh. Goes over old ground for anyone in Scotland who has breathed the air in the last few years.

For all the ambulance chasers say that Zombie FC, they died, etc., they seem really keen to play this new team. I think they doth protest too much.

On 08/09/2016 at 1:32 PM, Pool Q said:

Irish bars, in reality, have little or nothing to do with Ireland, they are just places that UK expats worldwide go for a beer, EPL games and a cooked breakfast.

Having lived in Ireland I'd agree that very few of them have any real interest in Celtic in particular, or Scottish football in general, they pretty much all 'support' an EPL team (usually the one, as Ardal O'Hanlon said, that was top of the league when they were 12). Been the case for years, surprised at your surprise to be honest. Many still have some lingering, half-arsed sort of affection for Celtic, but that is really as much to do with the sort of institution that Rangers is as much as anything else.

I suppose, at the time, my knowledge of Ireland, and Northern Ireland was very very ignorant, especially when it came to the attitudes towards Rangers and Celtic, from their people. 

Some amount of pish on this thread already. Anyway, back to the game. A much bigger game for Rangers and their fans than us at this point. I hope that's not reflected in how we approach it.

For me it depends on which Celtic turns up. If we're at it we'll win comfortably, if we're sloppy....anything could happen.

6 minutes ago, slasher said:

Anyway, back to the game. A much bigger game for Rangers and their fans than us at this point.

How does that work ?

Celtic are at home and massive favourites with the bookies 

A Celtic win wouldnt really surprise anyone - even Rangers fans

Celtic are 2/9 to win the SPL title

8 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Meh. Goes over old ground for anyone in Scotland who has breathed the air in the last few years.

For all the ambulance chasers say that Zombie FC, they died, etc., they seem really keen to play this new team. I think they doth protest too much.

Agreed.

When I qualified into insolvency law all those years ago I chose it over litigation coz' I wanted a quiet life...

13 minutes ago, slasher said:

Some amount of pish on this thread already. Anyway, back to the game. A much bigger game for Rangers and their fans than us at this point. I hope that's not reflected in how we approach it.

For me it depends on which Celtic turns up. If we're at it we'll win comfortably, if we're sloppy....anything could happen.

You haven't seen our centre backs. Celtic will be up for this and win by two. Brown v Barton will be a side show. Pace will win it.

Obviously hope I am wrong.

8 hours ago, slasher said:

Starts off by saying "some amount of pish on this thread alread" then goes on to spout more pish.

17 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I know mate - the whole point of the winky. Despite your name I can't see you solving too many mysteries unfortunately....?

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Starts off by saying "some amount of pish on this thread alread" then goes on to spout more pish.

To be fair youve spouted most of it, but I suspect you know that.

Rangers have it all to prove today, they really can't afford to lose imo.

28 minutes ago, slasher said:

i think the pressure is all on Celtic. No one expect rangers to do anything today (including me, tbf)

32 minutes ago, slasher said:

Think you overstating the significance of the actual result. Celtic on paper are streets ahead of us. I would be ecstatic with a draw based on where I think we are in terms of squad strength.