Next Poll - Page 14 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad (Undecided/possible NO, Labour man) has just phoned saying he'd heard on the ITV (Scottish) news that the share price of Scottish Business's has taken a huge hit on the back of YES strengthening?

Can anyone enlighten me as to what (if anything) was actually said so as I can go back to the doddery auld bugger and calm him doon!

I'm determined to get a YES vote oot o' him yit......

My dad (Undecided/possible NO, Labour man) has just phoned saying he'd heard on the ITV (Scottish) news that the share price of Scottish Business's has taken a huge hit on the back of YES strengthening?

Can anyone enlighten me as to what (if anything) was actually said so as I can go back to the doddery auld bugger and calm him doon!

It's a threat to the UK government to let Scotland use the pound. The pound will collapse without Scotland. A currency union is best Gideon...

Hardly a surprise after they warned that they might move if it was yes. Relocation didn't come cheap especially with staff. Markets simply are reacting to the uncertainty. Edited by joe545

read this:

http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk/george-osborne-is-responsible-for-pound-devaluation/

There was something in the business section of the Evening Standard today along those lines, but they (not exactly Yes-friendly) countered it themselves, by saying that if it came to it, everything would probably be sorted out.

Arguably the problem is the uncertainty surrounding what would be the outcome of a Yes vote [rather than independence as such], which is something the UK Govt could move to fix, pronto, as soon as there was a Yes vote.

In other words in the event of a Yes vote they could move to calm markets and make out independence wasn't so scary after all (my interpretation; and 'could' doesn't necessarily mean 'would')

Edited by exile

Here's the actual story

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/markets/scottish-referendum-square-mile-sees-some-upside-in-a-yes-vote--chris-blackhurst-9718304.html

"Their internal assessments had come to the same conclusions: that outstanding issues such as the Scots’ choice of currency and EU membership would quickly be resolved because they would have to be; that business would soon return to normal; that they would not be affected either way by a separate Scotland."

City reporter on Newsnight just said the market hates uncertainty, and the 2 sides will need to reach agreement asap after the vote - not 18 months.

Also Niall Ferguson, just said BT campaign rubbish for being so negative, then said independent Scotland would be a disaster, like Belarus or Slovakia

Edited by exile

City reporter on Newsnight just said the market hates uncertainty, and the 2 sides will need to reach agreement asap after the vote - not 18 months.

Also Niall Ferguson, just said BT campaign rubbish for being so negative, then said independent Scotland would be a disaster, like Belarus or Slovakia

Ferguson was fantastic. It's hilarious watching all these 'proud Scots' panic.

Yeah. We were howling at the moon (much like him on the 19th if it's a Yes) at his performance.

Belarus is a new one I must add.

I've heard Greece, Albania, Cuba and Iraq.

Don't forget Bangladesh. That was father of the nation Donald Dewars favourite.

Or Alistair Darling's preference, Panama, trying to make us think of a Scotland as a early 20th century banana republic. But do a bit of reading on the Panamaian economy or look at pictures of Panama City - he's not really thought his insult through.

Edited by Armchair Bob

Or Alistair Darling's preference, Panama, trying to make us think of a Scotland as a early 20th century banana republic. But do a bit of reading on the Panamaian economy or look at pictures of Panama City - he's not really thought his insult through.

And if we end up with Panaman looking ladies, win-win.

Aye, they seem to have given up on the Panama insult angle. It took them a while but if nothing else this referendum has been a good educational tool for the ignorant. They just assumed that because it's foreign it must be shit. This attitude probably comes from spending too much time "in bed" with folk like UKIP and the BNP.

Niall Ferguson has previous:

http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/time-to-liquidate-scotland-and-sell-off-her-assets-says-expat-historian-1-686107

Utter loony