Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 42 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Three good posts andyD.

For the record I would like to start the Chris Martin bandwagon,I think he might end up a lot better player than many of us on here thought.

He's already 28 and still utter pish. He's not going to get better.

15 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Three good posts andyD.

For the record I would like to start the Chris Martin bandwagon,I think he might end up a lot better player than many of us on here thought.

Didn't realise Gordon Strachan and Mark McGhee were on here, hello guys. Please resign now and take half your squad with you never to be seen again.

5 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Didn't realise Gordon Strachan and Mark McGhee were on here, hello guys. Please resign now and take half your squad with you never to be seen again.

:D

Well, this would be my squad for the next friendly and qualifier.. let's see whether they match!

Craig Gordon, David Marshall, Allan McGregor

Liam Palmer, Russell Martin, Andrew Robertson, Kerian Tierney, Stephen Kingsley, Christophe Berra, Gordon Greer, Charlie Mulgrew

Scott Brown, Kevin McDonald, Stuart Armstrong, Jay Fulton, James Morrison, Robert Snodgrass, Tom Cairney, Ryan Fraser, Ikechi Anya, Oliver Burke, Matt Philips

Leigh Griffiths, Steven Fletcher, Chris Martin

1 hour ago, andyD said:

:D

Well, this would be my squad for the next friendly and qualifier.. let's see whether they match!

Craig Gordon, David Marshall, Allan McGregor

Liam Palmer, Russell Martin, Andrew Robertson, Kerian Tierney, Stephen Kingsley, Christophe Berra, Gordon Greer, Charlie Mulgrew

Scott Brown, Kevin McDonald, Stuart Armstrong, Jay Fulton, James Morrison, Robert Snodgrass, Tom Cairney, Ryan Fraser, Ikechi Anya, Oliver Burke, Matt Philips

Leigh Griffiths, Steven Fletcher, Chris Martin

Gordon

Marshall

Robertson

Hutton

R Martin

Greer

Mulgrew

Armstrong

Brown

McGregor

Forrest

Fraser

G Boyd

Snodgrass

Adam

D Fletcher

Morrison

Phillips

Ritchie

Bridcutt

Griffiths

McCormack

Naismith

15 hours ago, Bino's said:

Gordon

Marshall

Robertson

Hutton

R Martin

Greer

Mulgrew

Armstrong

Brown

McGregor

Forrest

Fraser

G Boyd

Snodgrass

Adam

D Fletcher

Morrison

Phillips

Ritchie

Bridcutt

Griffiths

McCormack

Naismith

Is he not a bit old?

29 minutes ago, Tartacus said:

McCormack training with the youth team at Villa and called unfit. Strachan vindicated on not calling him up last time? 

If he's repeatedly missing training then I'd be calling him unfit too.

14 hours ago, Tartacus said:

McCormack training with the youth team at Villa and called unfit. Strachan vindicated on not calling him up last time? 

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/jokanovic-warned-off-mccormack-return-by-fulham-players

It's hearsay at this point, but it seems like McCormack might not be the easiest guy to get along with and not the best for team morale. Those are likely to be things that would limit his involvement with an international squad, much like Nasri's exclusion for France.

We could really do with Rhodes moving this window. Our striking options are very thin on the ground right now.

Chris Martin is in the groove, playing every game and scoring goals for Fulham.
Griffiths is doing ok, but becoming a bench player (1.5 matches of game time across the last 5 games).
Fletcher is doing ok-ish at Wednesday.
Rhodes is benchwarming for Boro.
McCormack has 1 goal since mid-september and has been dropped for being unfit.
Naismith's sort of back involved at Norwich, but out wide. 1 league goal since xmas.
Watt can't find the net in League One.
May can't get a game for Preston (he's back fit now as I understand).

No one's leaping out from the under 21s.. Muirhead and Feruz are starting to get game time in League One, but too soon to see how either will do.

We're not really spoilt for choice sadly.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/jokanovic-warned-off-mccormack-return-by-fulham-players

It's hearsay at this point, but it seems like McCormack might not be the easiest guy to get along with and not the best for team morale. Those are likely to be things that would limit his involvement with an international squad, much like Nasri's exclusion for France.

We could really do with Rhodes moving this window. Our striking options are very thin on the ground right now.

Chris Martin is in the groove, playing every game and scoring goals for Fulham.
Griffiths is doing ok, but becoming a bench player (1.5 matches of game time across the last 5 games).
Fletcher is doing ok-ish at Wednesday.
Rhodes is benchwarming for Boro.
McCormack has 1 goal since mid-september and has been dropped for being unfit.
Naismith's sort of back involved at Norwich, but out wide. 1 league goal since xmas.
Watt can't find the net in League One.
May can't get a game for Preston (he's back fit now as I understand).

No one's leaping out from the under 21s.. Muirhead and Feruz are starting to get game time in League One, but too soon to see how either will do.

We're not really spoilt for choice sadly.

Cummings and McBurnie are options too. Cummings really needs to show what he can do at a higher level and McBurnie needs to make a splash as Swansea (the odd 10 mins as a sub without scoring isn't quite enough). The no 9 jersey is totally up for grabs - it's just whether anyone is going to to be good enough to make it indisputably theirs. Think that's why people have been suggesting using the likes of Snodgrass and Burke as our centre forward.

15 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Cummings and McBurnie are options too. Cummings really needs to show what he can do at a higher level and McBurnie needs to make a splash as Swansea (the odd 10 mins as a sub without scoring isn't quite enough). The no 9 jersey is totally up for grabs - it's just whether anyone is going to to be good enough to make it indisputably theirs. Think that's why people have been suggesting using the likes of Snodgrass and Burke as our centre forward.

guy who scored 40 goals last year might be worth 2-3 starts chance

4 hours ago, Bino's said:

guy who scored 40 goals last year might be worth 2-3 starts chance

Who scored 40 goals last year? Do you mean Cummings over the last 2 years? Aye well wouldn't mind taking a punt and letting him start a friendly. Seems a bit desperate tho. But I suppose that's just what we are.

Edited by Rude Gullit

49 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Who scored 40 goals last year? Do you mean Cummings over the last 2 years? Aye well wouldn't mind taking a punt and letting him start a friendly. Seems a bit desperate tho. But I suppose that's just what we are.

Griffiths, he hasn't had a chance in a Scotland shirt

he needs a good 3 games in a row, and mean starts, to be allowed chance to develop relationship with attacking midfielders

he will score goals for us if given the chance

7 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Griffiths, he hasn't had a chance in a Scotland shirt

he needs a good 3 games in a row, and mean starts, to be allowed chance to develop relationship with attacking midfielders

he will score goals for us if given the chance

Ha - yeah, forgot about his tally. Shame he's been ditched for dembele, but you can understand why. I'd agree tho, same as Rhodes, give him a run of four or five games as a starter and I think the national team could find a groove in which they could be prolific. We have nothing to lose: it's not as if Fletcher, Martin, Naismith are blazing in goals when they get start after start.

We have a history of being scared to play truly attacking fwds except as a last 10/20 minutes panic sub.

49 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Ha - yeah, forgot about his tally. Shame he's been ditched for dembele, but you can understand why. I'd agree tho, same as Rhodes, give him a run of four or five games as a starter and I think the national team could find a groove in which they could be prolific. We have nothing to lose: it's not as if Fletcher, Martin, Naismith are blazing in goals when they get start after start.

We have a history of being scared to play truly attacking fwds except as a last 10/20 minutes panic sub.

if the formation was different

maybe a. Chelsea style 3-4-3, Rhodes is another that given a chance, could be very good for us

3-4-3 we have been our best as being hard to beat!! 3-5-2 is the best formation. We get killed in the middle of the park

As for Griffiths, he is our best striker playing or not. He needs to move to get a game more. Rodgers does not like him i dont think. He could manage in the Eng Prem league i think with a mid table team

Next is cummings, young and fully of energy. He needs a move.

Overall the scottish striking options are few

1 hour ago, jamboman said:

3-4-3 we have been our best as being hard to beat!! 3-5-2 is the best formation. We get killed in the middle of the park

As for Griffiths, he is our best striker playing or not. He needs to move to get a game more. Rodgers does not like him i dont think. He could manage in the Eng Prem league i think with a mid table team

Next is cummings, young and fully of energy. He needs a move.

Overall the scottish striking options are few

3-4-3 or 3-5-2 means we need three decent central defenders, most of the time we're struggling to even get two!  The cupboards pretty bare up front but it's not overflowing at the back either.