Jeremy Corbyn - fecked? - Page 18 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jeremy Corbyn - fecked?

You'd think that after the dust has settled, Labour would have been able to agree a position.

On Andrew Marr this morning, Rebecca Long-Bailey backs up Corbyn's comments and points out - quite correctly - that Kezia Dugdale was saying the same thing 8 months ago.

An hour later on a different channel, Hillary Benn tells Robert Peston that "Scottish Labour's" position is the correct one.

This is a great example of what the Labour Party is like in 2017.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

You'd think that after the dust has settled, Labour would have been able to agree a position.

On Andrew Marr this morning, Rebecca Long-Bailey backs up Corbyn's comments and points out - quite correctly - that Kezia Dugdale was saying the same thing 8 months ago.

An hour later on a different channel, Hillary Benn tells Robert Peston that "Scottish Labour's" position is the correct one.

This is a great example of what the Labour Party is like in 2017.

No Party line to take.

The problem is that the Labour Party's Scottish branch thinks it's a political party in its own right.

It IS a branch of a larger, London-based party, and it relies on that larger party for its financial existence.

For as long as this continues, chaos will reign within its (rapidly diminishing) ranks.

Kezia must be the only politician that can say anything and disagree with the same

and back everyone who disagrees with her , how is she even in a job ?

I would seek to reform elections doing away with lists msp's and make everyone seek the votes needed.

No more job for life .

3 hours ago, fishcumnock said:

Kezia must be the only politician that can say anything and disagree with the same

and back everyone who disagrees with her , how is she even in a job ?

I would seek to reform elections doing away with lists msp's and make everyone seek the votes needed.

No more job for life .

Feck knows. Interestingly many Labour MPs from England and Wales think she's fantastic :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

Corbyn seems to be getting a lot of publicity for this free school meals scheme - could it work? To be paid by taxing private schools?

Heard on BBC radio this morning, the first thing they did was to interview a private school parent who was against it (not, for example, a parent of a hungry child)

What is the position in Scotland.... didn't Labour oppose free school meals as an SNP policy? Or am I jumping to conclusions?

Guest flumax
13 minutes ago, exile said:

Corbyn seems to be getting a lot of publicity for this free school meals scheme - could it work? To be paid by taxing private schools?

Heard on BBC radio this morning, the first thing they did was to interview a private school parent who was against it (not, for example, a parent of a hungry child)

What is the position in Scotland.... didn't Labour oppose free school meals as an SNP policy? Or am I jumping to conclusions?

They didn't like it a few years back in Scotland http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/11326332/Labour-Wealthiest-benefit-most-from-free-school-meals.html

Guest flumax
1 hour ago, mariokempes56 said:

Corbinn has as many faces as a dice. Wouldnt trust him one bit.

Really... I think he's genuine.... But his party machine pushes him from being himself. 

11 minutes ago, flumax said:

Really... I think he's genuine.... But his party machine pushes him from being himself. 

What about his "Turbo charged austerity" comment about an Independent Scotland ?

2 hours ago, exile said:

Heard on TV it was only free school meals for children in deprived areas.

Edited by antidote

9 hours ago, exile said:

Charging VAT on private school fees, effectively challenging their charitable status, has always seemed reasonable to me. On the specifics of Corbyn's proposal the benefits of ensuring children are properly fed in terms of behaviour and attention in class are well enough known. The issue with what he said yesterday was that he quoted the Institute for Fiscal Studies as the source to support his policy, but they quickly came out and made clear their research only covered deprived areas and they hadn't looked into whether free school meals would have any effect in prosperous areas. I on't know where the SNP stand on this.

Edited by Pool Q

7 hours ago, antidote said:

Heard on TV it was only free school meals for children in deprived areas.

That's what has been trialled so far. The folk who did the trial said they have no evidence to say that it would work for everybody. Mainly because they haven't done that trial. Corbyn wants it for all primary kids. He's a bit like Kez though, it's easy to promise stuff when you know there is absolutely no chance of you ever getting into power to implement it. Still a good idea though.

It is, of course, an excellent policy that chimes exactly with what the Labour Party should stand for. 

However, everyone has been told endlessly by the men on the telly that Corbyn is an idiot/can't lead/doesn't have a clue, so they'll obviously criticise it because that's what they've been trained to do. 

We live in an age where being an idiot and listening to and believing everything the man on the telly says is seen as intelligence. Intelligence no longer seems to be actually knowing things, it's merely believing what everyone else believes. Folk are scared to think differently, to believe different things from what the masses do. I'm not quite sure why that is? Maybe being lazy and unthinking is a sign of our lifestyles, where time is often at a premium or where there are too many other distractions, so keeping focused on something and actually learning about it isn't a priority? 

I do wonder why so many folk are so happy to believe exactly what News International and the BBC want them to? Who knows?

Anyway, i digress... Great policy idea. :ok: 

14 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It is, of course, an excellent policy that chimes exactly with what the Labour Party should stand for. 

However, everyone has been told endlessly by the men on the telly that Corbyn is an idiot/can't lead/doesn't have a clue, so they'll obviously criticise it because that's what they've been trained to do. 

We live in an age where being an idiot and listening to and believing everything the man on the telly says is seen as intelligence. Intelligence no longer seems to be actually knowing things, it's merely believing what everyone else believes. Folk are scared to think differently, to believe different things from what the masses do. I'm not quite sure why that is? Maybe being lazy and unthinking is a sign of our lifestyles, where time is often at a premium or where there are too many other distractions, so keeping focused on something and actually learning about it isn't a priority? 

I do wonder why so many folk are so happy to believe exactly what News International and the BBC want them to? Who knows?

There's a lot in that.  On the other hand, always believing differently from what the masses think doesn't always mean you're always right, sometimes it means that you're wrong and everyone else is right.  I believe for some, they always take a contrary view because they think it makes them look intelligent when in fact they are as stupid as those that take everything at face value.

Edited by aaid

54 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That's what has been trialled so far. The folk who did the trial said they have no evidence to say that it would work for everybody. Mainly because they haven't done that trial. Corbyn wants it for all primary kids. He's a bit like Kez though, it's easy to promise stuff when you know there is absolutely no chance of you ever getting into power to implement it. Still a good idea though.

Did the Scottish branch of the labour party not vote against free school meals for children in Scotland?

That was not only on the telly, but it is also recorded in Holyrood.

Does he want it for kids who's parents are relatively well off also? I'm sure there are some children, even in deprived areas, whose parents make a decent living.

Sort of puts labour's faux outrage into perspective when they were chuntering on about free prescriptions and freezing of the CT helping the well off.

Totally agree with your last sentence, promise the earth out of power, its an old labour habit.

26 minutes ago, aaid said:

There's a lot in that.  On the other hand, always believing differently from what the masses think doesn't always mean you're always right, sometimes it means that you're wrong and everyone else is right.  I believe for some, they always take a contrary view because they think it makes them look intelligent when in fact they are as stupid as those that take everything at face value.

I agree entirely. 

23 minutes ago, antidote said:

Did the Scottish branch of the labour party not vote against free school meals for children in Scotland?

Scottish Labour is somewhat antonymous. It's a bit of a farcical position where the appear to be allowed to make their own choice on some policy decisions in Scotland but toe the London line in others. It generally boils down to opposing every single policy the SNP have/put forward though.  

23 minutes ago, antidote said:

Does he want it for kids who's parents are relatively well off also? I'm sure there are some children, even in deprived areas, whose parents make a decent living.

It's certainly something that i'd imagine would be trialed in deprived areas first (universally in those schools) before being taken further. It doesn't make sense to means test this. It'd cost more to do so and some parents wouldn't bother to fill in forms etc to apply, meaning kids would still go hungry. 

it's the Labour party that's mostly to blame.  They dont' have a coherent front so it's only fair the media punish them for that.

If you want to lead the country, you have to have a party to begin with.

I wish Labour would get behind him.

Can Private schools be "got at" through the Scottish Parliament.

I don't blame parents for sending their kids but it's an abomination.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

51 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Scottish Labour is somewhat antonymous. It's a bit of a farcical position where the appear to be allowed to make their own choice on some policy decisions in Scotland but toe the London line in others. It generally boils down to opposing every single policy the SNP have/put forward though.  

It's certainly something that i'd imagine would be trialed in deprived areas first (universally in those schools) before being taken further. It doesn't make sense to means test this. It'd cost more to do so and some parents wouldn't bother to fill in forms etc to apply, meaning kids would still go hungry. 

Most of this I agree with, but this reason (bold) is exactly what the Labour, Tory and LibDems parties attacked the SG for, especially prescription charges. 

30 minutes ago, antidote said:

Most of this I agree with, but this reason (bold) is exactly what the Labour, Tory and LibDems parties attacked the SG for, especially prescription charges. 

Yeah, the argument to means test some universal benefits is solely designed to appeal to thickos, who don't appreciate the economics of doing so. 

6 hours ago, Parklife said:

Anyway, i digress... Great policy idea. :ok: 

I don't think intelligence ever has been about actually knowing things.

6 hours ago, antidote said:

That was not only on the telly, but it is also recorded in Holyrood.

Sort of puts labour's faux outrage into perspective when they were chuntering on about free prescriptions and freezing of the CT helping the well off.

Totally agree with your last sentence, promise the earth out of power, its an old labour habit.

If it was a SNP idea, then they probably voted against it. We could look it up but we probably don't need to bother.:lol: