EU Referendum - Page 75 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit vote was basically a giant Opinion Poll. Of course Parliament would have to debate any change to Law.

Intresting that this wasn't the case in the Independence vote. If we voted for Independence, that was guaranteed by the Act of Parliament that was debated and approved.

Intresting times, we at least have a chance of killing Hard Brexit and going down the Norway route. (AKA nothing really changes). The Brexit vote set the "what we should do", it didn't touch the "how we should do it" question.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

Personally i think it is all one big thought out pantomime

Let the public think that the Government is going out their way to honour the referendum but not really doing so in reality

How else do you explain the likes of May going full circle on Brexit ?

It's all subterfuge IMO

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

And yet we have folk like Alan desperate to keep Scotland tied to this UK ......

CwX42piXcAAtOUg.jpg

The Daily Mail is getting more and more like the carefully transcribed rantings of a guy who drinks his own urine because MI5 are putting fluoride in his water.

2 minutes ago, neilser said:

The Daily Mail is getting more and more like the carefully transcribed rantings of a guy who drinks his own urine because MI5 are putting fluoride in his water.

Dont think it's just the Daily Mail tomorrow

Had to laugh at Farage.

If it had been 52-48 in favour of Remain he was all for a second referendum:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

As it was 52 - 48 for Leave though it's a betrayal for Parliament to have any say in the process of leaving the EU:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/03/the-great-brexit-betrayal-has-begun-but-i-know-the-british-peopl/

8 hours ago, neilser said:

Had to laugh at Farage.

If it had been 52-48 in favour of Remain he was all for a second referendum:

Exactly,

And on the other front, all those Better Together Remainers, who said to Scotland "You lost, get over it" are using every possible argument to say "The fight goes on! Don't expect us to give up our cause!" But I don't recall our media ever grilling people like TIm Farron over this.

Edited by exile

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

And yet we have folk like Alan desperate to keep Scotland tied to this UK ......

CwX42piXcAAtOUg.jpg

We seem to be crossing into new territory here, from these papers' good old fashioned bigotry and xenophobia within the political status quo, to the attempt to use the "will of the people" to play fast and loose with the law and constitution of the country. If they are emboldened to do it against a few law lords, what next?

In what sense - ironic? - do they think screaming at "enemies of the people" is likely to end well?

Do they - or their readers - ever think to themselves "are we the baddies?"

2 hours ago, exile said:

We seem to be crossing into new territory here, from these papers' good old fashioned bigotry and xenophobia within the political status quo, to the attempt to use the "will of the people" to play fast and loose with the law and constitution of the country. If they are emboldened to do it against a few law lords, what next?

In what sense - ironic? - do they think screaming at "enemies of the people" is likely to end well?

Do they - or their readers - ever think to themselves "are we the baddies?"

Frankly, this is disgusting.

The judges haven't overturned the Brexit result, they're merely saying that Parliament has to rule on Article 50 (as it should be).

Where does this gutter journalism end ? Certain publications are seeing that the door to the uber right-wing eutopia that they've always desired is open, and they're determined to drive a coach and horses through it regardless of the significant damage it will cause to the country, possibly for generations.

The rUK is being flushed down the sewer. Is this the kind of country that decent people want ?

A guy on the 5Live phone in this morning was on the verge of tears at the thought that Parliament should play any part at all in deciding how the UK leaves the EU.

I genuinely don't understand these people and what motivates them - it's as if two parallel universes have intersected.

1 hour ago, neilser said:

A guy on the 5Live phone in this morning was on the verge of tears at the thought that Parliament should play any part at all in deciding how the UK leaves the EU.

I genuinely don't understand these people and what motivates them - it's as if two parallel universes have intersected.

What motivates them appears to be a mixture of xenophobia and aggressive British nationalism, and I mean nationalism in its worst sense - the SNP are called nationalists when in fact they aren't really - the name of the party is the Scottish National Party in the sense "The national party of Scotland" which is different.  Actually I think the name should be changed to Scottish International Party to reflect the ethos of the party.

1 minute ago, Alibi said:

What motivates them appears to be a mixture of xenophobia and aggressive British nationalism, and I mean nationalism in its worst sense - the SNP are called nationalists when in fact they aren't really - the name of the party is the Scottish National Party in the sense "The national party of Scotland" which is different.  Actually I think the name should be changed to Scottish International Party to reflect the ethos of the party.

Salmond Considered changing  the Name of the SNP to the SIP , Scottish Indepenence Party , he however didnt...

My nationalism is better than your nationalism. MSM, elites, grievance, economic lies, flag waving, Westminster. There's a theme here.

Interesting Alex Neil and other SNP MSPs voted "Leave". If only the silent ones were more honest and open with the electorate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/03/former-scottish-government-minister-several-snp-msps-secretly-vo/

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/snp/news/80490/former-scottish-government-minister-reveals-number-snp-msps

15 minutes ago, Alan said:

My nationalism is better than your nationalism. MSM, elites, grievance, economic lies, flag waving, Westminster. There's a theme here.

Interesting Alex Neil and other SNP MSPs voted "Leave". If only the silent ones were more honest and open with the electorate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/03/former-scottish-government-minister-several-snp-msps-secretly-vo/

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/snp/news/80490/former-scottish-government-minister-reveals-number-snp-msps

I thought the SNP were all robots with microchips implanted and controlled by Peter Murrell from a secret lair below Jackson's Entry.  Make your mind up.

30 minutes ago, Alan said:

My nationalism is better than your nationalism.

Thats your entire playbook FFS.

You wanted to stay in the EU, yet support the decision to withdraw, you will never consider changing your stance on Scottish independence, yet have unwavering support for your British national identity, I hope for your sake you are just a troll, if not, its a sad indictment of your narrow minded outlook.

6 hours ago, Alan said:

Isn't it about time that you started considering the possibility that an independent Scotland may offer a better future than a xenophobic, right-wing, narrow minded rUK ?

Or are you happy to unthinkingly settle for the cult of Unionism, regardless ?

On 03/11/2016 at 11:11 PM, Ally Bongo said:

CwX42piXcAAtOUg.jpg

You seriously start to wonder how far a newspaper (or politician or twitter commentator) could go in victimising people or groups, before some people would admit to being uncomfortable with it, before they would admit that they could ever be on the same side as [independence supporters / people who don't like the MSM / Westminster / Tory rule].

Edited by exile