EU Referendum - Page 30 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

On 12 June 2016 at 10:54 AM, giblet said:

On Marr this morning, I see Cameron cited Norways 4 million population and loads of oil as a reason they are doing so well....

That's a keeper for indyref2.

Jon snow has more pressing matters to attend to in winterfell.

yes I know, it was a shit joke 

Guest flumax
8 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Im voting to remain, but a part of me wants to see us leave, just for a laugh, and see what actually happens.

Odds on Leave have drifted out today, the bookies rarely get it wrong.

The only way I will laugh if it is a leave vote,  is if on Friday morning holyrood is reconvened and unanimously,  across all parties, decide to either declare a UDI or another referendum with cross party support for Scotland to remain as part of the EU. 

Boris as PM and Gove as Chancellor negotiating the new Britains constitution is one heck of a frightening thought. The trade unions won't get a look in. 

I would laugh however if England votes marginally out, with SWNI pushing  the UK over the line to stay within the EU. 

1 minute ago, flumax said:

Boris as PM and Gove as Chancellor negotiating the new Britains constitution is one heck of a frightening thought. The trade unions won't get a look in. 

Once again - this is bunkum

22 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Once again - this is bunkum

Cameron will resign within 7 days after a brexit vote.  Osborne has shot his credibility.  The only thing stopping a Boris PM is maybe theresa May.

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Ruth Davidson has more chance than May.

She gave a good account of herself in the debate last night.  I disagreed with almost everything she said, but she came over very well.

Edited by scotlad
typo

26 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Do you not think that Boris will be next PM? 

Nope

As i said before it would need Cameron to resign and i dont think he will

If he does then Boris has to stand in a Tory leadership contest with the party divided and no guarantee of victory.

There are more Tory MPs voting remain than there are leave

If however he did win that contest then imo there would most likely be a vote of no confidence in the Government which would have a good chance of passing and then a general election

The Tories with Boris at the helm would then need to be elected by the people and have a majority

18 minutes ago, giblet said:

Cameron will resign within 7 days after a brexit vote.  Osborne has shot his credibility.  The only thing stopping a Boris PM is maybe theresa May.

I dont think he will for the reasons above.

The Tories although divided will want to remain in power until the end of this term. Cameron has already said he wont be running for a third term

If there is a brexit the same scenario that would have happened if Scotland became Independent would occur.

The negotiating team will be the top politicians of which Cameron would be the head

Edited by Ally Bongo

Boris will be in the ascendancy with the Tories if he wins this referendum, they, like every other political entity, will put party before Country.  We will have to wait 3 and half years to vote him out as PM.

I heard an argument the other day that all the 'scary' things about the EU - like Turkish accession, European army, etc  - would need a treaty change that would need to be agreed by UK and more specifically in UK treaty change would need to have a referendum. So, the argument went, if you are sceptical about Turkey and euro army you can safely vote remain now and if it ever comes to it, reject it at a later referendum. I wonder why we don't hear more of this argument  - rather than just the usual 'it won't happen/yes it will'

On a purely anecdotal point and gen up, in the last day I've had several people who were staunchly No during Indyref who also plan to vote Remain say to me that they would undoubtedly vote for Scottish independence in the event of a Brexit. 

I'm talking pure nawbag east coast middle aged hun women who despise Salmond and Andy Murray and want England to win EURO 2016.

Their reactions astounded me; these were people who were vocally celebratory about a No vote.

Bottom line is if this (albeit incidental experience of this key) demographic feels this strongly about it and you live in Scotland and want Scottish independence then you should be voting to remain.

Scotland needs to vote remain. England will vote leave hopefully.

There's a long game here and we need to play it properly instead of short term EU gripes.

There are inherent problems with the lack of accountability and democracy with the EU and it may well be beyond reform, but cross the bridge when you come to it.

This isnae the bridge; this is a Tory referendum.

This isnae the battle if you support Scottish independence. This is a detour.

If you live in Scotland and want Scottish independence and you hate the EU, then voting leave is a cut-nose-off face-spite short-term routine.

Dinnae be fvckin silly

4 hours ago, brant grebner said:

On a purely anecdotal point and gen up, in the last day I've had several people who were staunchly No during Indyref who also plan to vote Remain say to me that they would undoubtedly vote for Scottish independence in the event of a Brexit. 

I'm talking pure nawbag east coast middle aged hun women who despise Salmond and Andy Murray and want England to win EURO 2016.

Their reactions astounded me; these were people who were vocally celebratory about a No vote.

Bottom line is if this (albeit incidental experience of this key) demographic feels this strongly about it and you live in Scotland and want Scottish independence then you should be voting to remain.

Scotland needs to vote remain. England will vote leave hopefully.

There's a long game here and we need to play it properly instead of short term EU gripes.

There are inherent problems with the lack of accountability and democracy with the EU and it may well be beyond reform, but cross the bridge when you come to it.

This isnae the bridge; this is a Tory referendum.

This isnae the battle if you support Scottish independence. This is a detour.

If you live in Scotland and want Scottish independence and you hate the EU, then voting leave is a cut-nose-off face-spite short-term routine.

Dinnae be fvckin silly

Feckin Quote thing.

I was so pissed off as the remain tactics were so similar to the Scottish referendum No campaign I was going to spoil my vote but you're right brant and I'm back on board. We need Scotland to be independent asap by whatever means.

Edited by Och Aye

Actually surprised by the number of friends, acquaintances and occasional lovers voting Leave this morning.  Granted the majority of them are raving lefties but my social media is full of folk from on here as well and of the voting intentions that have came up on my feeds this morning it's currently 11-6 in favour of Leave.  Removing those from outwith Scotland puts it at 8-6 in favour of Leave.  Emulated across the UK and Scotland would be luverly.

12 hours ago, Scunnered said:

My bestest mates aunt who is Scotland's UKIP convenor (yes he's deeply ashamed, especially as he's an immigrant himself) has said there was a death in the family.

so no death in the family the real reason for pulling out of the debate was to have dinner with his son as he has no seen him for a whole nine months according to the mail how strange think he knows he is fecked 

I do enjoy the posts of "my mate is a Yes voter with tattoos & never shops in Asda and boycotts Tunnocks. But is now a Leave as he wants another referendum on independence despite it being "Once in a generation" and still no plans on currency, economy or public finances."

This is about remaining in the EU. Leave or Remain. Unrelated to any other decision.

3 minutes ago, Alan said:

I do enjoy the posts of "my mate is a Yes voter with tattoos & never shops in Asda and boycotts Tunnocks. But is now a Leave as he wants another referendum on independence despite it being "Once in a generation" and still no plans on currency, economy or public finances."

This is about remaining in the EU. Leave or Remain. Unrelated to any other decision.

Shut up ya jobby

Guest BlueGaz
14 minutes ago, Alan said:

lol, I agree with your comments bar the last.  It will have a knock on to other decisions.  I think the YES camp will grab anything they can to prompt another indy ref.  Whether it happens or not is another discussion, but today will def have a knock on effect to other issues, therefore related. 

16 minutes ago, Alan said:

Couldn't agree more. I'm fed up with people polluting this thread with continual distracting barbs about Scottish nationalists....

2 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

lol, I agree with your comments bar the last.  It will have a knock on to other decisions.  I think the YES camp will grab anything they can to prompt another indy ref.  Whether it happens or not is another discussion, but today will def have a knock on effect to other issues, therefore related. 

Think I'm a miserable now?  Imagine me if the UK votes leave and then I'm dragged back into the EU against my will by the Scottish Government :lol:

People use any excuse for indyref2. It's not going to happen. Its used by SNP to distract from their record in government and to keep their new supporters in line as they ruffle their hair patronisingly. It's tedious.

This referendum like the last one has been pish. The best bit is SNP standing "shoulder to shoulder" with Tories in debates and outside Holyrood.

Guest BlueGaz
3 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

Think I'm a miserable now?  Imagine me if the UK votes leave and then I'm dragged back into the EU against my will by the Scottish Government :lol:

I don't know what will happen either way obviously, my only point was I believe it is related.