EU Referendum - Page 11 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

17 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Every time Boris opens his mouth it's either a lie on one of the made up financial figures or he's saying Remain are campaigning negatively. The 2nd option is used to avoid any questions on why experts say he's talking bollocks. 

If you vote Leave you really do have to be one stupid twat. 

Really ?

Tell that to the Greek, Spanish, Portuguese & Italian unemployed

32 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Every time Boris opens his mouth it's either a lie on one of the made up financial figures or he's saying Remain are campaigning negatively. The 2nd option is used to avoid any questions on why experts say he's talking bollocks. 

If you vote Leave you really do have to be one stupid twat. 

Tell that to the fishing industry

15 minutes ago, Mee said:

Nichola is making the same arguments as the no campaign made for the Scottish referendum. 

I am finding it a bit painful to watch

cringe fest

15 minutes ago, Mindimoo said:

My observation too.  It's quite surreal they way it's flipped around!

Don't agree. It's all down to how you interpret the EU and Brussels. I don't consider myself "ruled" by Brussels as the exit campaign maintain. Therefore I don't see any hypocrisy with wanting to remain in the EU but at the same time not wanting to be ruled by Westminster - which I would assert safely that we all agree that we are rule by. 

I was most annoyed by the Eagle woman. I lost count of the number of times she went on about the £350 million.  The point about is, yes, a portion comes back BUT we don't have any say over that portion. Only the unelected EU commission have any control over it. I believe most goes on farm subsidies which are doubtless designed to best help French agriculture.  our farming needs may well be different and so a fair porttion of the money coming back could well be wasted on less relevant subsidies to what we need. How much help does fishing get for instance?  or sheep farming or deer ?"

I also found it more than uncomfortable seeing Nicola stood with the others. I tthink the SNP (and I have been  a member for many years) could have taken a very different position. The whole referendum is basically flawed. Cameron has given us a choice of staying as we are or leave entirely. NNeither is an acceptable choice.

The EU as it currently exists is an anti democratic capitalist monolith.It needs ttaking apart and completely redoing. The EU commission needs scrapping entirely. The EU parliament needs to be given proper powers. The current large member states need breaking up (Uk, France, Germany, Spain especially).

As for trade, the whole world needs to be free to trade with each other. 

From the shot bit I watched of the debate tonight it just seemed to be project fear from both sides. At least wee nic was saying to find out the info and don't rely on what is being said.

On the actual ref front I am totally undecided. On one hand if we left we should have better control over immigration and not the almost free for all it seems just now but then how many UK nationals would have to return so in that sense there probably wouldn't be much relief to our stretches services. Workers rights have been strengthened by the EU and I do fear the Tory's or labour (if new labour come back) governments would start watering down those rights. I certainly believe in the laws the EU has brought in regarding animal welfare. But I do worry that certain countries seem to be able to get away non compliance more

A point thats being missed, similar to the Scottish referendum is that if there is a vote to leave it wont happen overnight.

I believe that it would take until 2020 therefore nothing much will change in the immediate aftermath

I also believe that even if there is a vote to leave we wont

It is likely that if brexit wins the margin will be very small

Small enough for the establishment to renegotiate and with some jiggery pokery to stay in possibly after another general election

Edited by Ally Bongo

Haven't been watching tv but as for the question about being pro-union

for me the difference is what kind of union

You could want scotland to be independent but be happy to be in the UN or EU or even a British union if it was made of equal partners with vetos etc.

I

8 hours ago, buckielugger said:

Only the unelected EU commission have any control over it.

This is a red herring that has become fact by constant repetition.

The EU Commissioners are appointed by democratic consensus of the elected leaders of the 28 Member States.

9 hours ago, Mindimoo said:

My observation too.  It's quite surreal they way it's flipped around!

Cant understand why sturgeon would go onto this debate,, does she not realise many of her out leaving voters may be disillusioned by her stance,,, what good does did  it do her party to go on it? I only see it losing votes

Nicola Sturgeon standing shoulder to shoulder with Tories and Red Tories.

Defending austerity policies of EU that were forced on Greece, Spain, Portugal and Ireland.

Rejecting the option of rural and fishing decisions to be made in Holyrood.

Scotland's future in Scotland's hands no more.

A member of "Project Fear".

11 minutes ago, Alan said:

Nicola Sturgeon standing shoulder to shoulder with Tories and Red Tories.

Defending austerity policies of EU that were forced on Greece, Spain, Portugal and Ireland.

Rejecting the option of rural and fishing decisions to be made in Holyrood.

Scotland's future in Scotland's hands no more.

A member of "Project Fear".

here's Alan......

why discuss the larger issue of remaining/leaving the EU when one can manufacture a petty attack on the SNP/Sturgeon? 

Standing "shoulder to shoulder" with the Tories/Red Tories whilst arguing against, er, the Tories and the Red Tories. Great point. And the SNP said that they would not campaign along with or share a platform with the Tories during the EU referendum - last night's debate had neither of those. But good to have your myopic view of things and blind hatred of the SNP back again. Its not been the same here.  

Guest BlueGaz
7 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

here's Alan......

why discuss the larger issue of remaining/leaving the EU when one can manufacture a petty attack on the SNP/Sturgeon? 

Standing "shoulder to shoulder" with the Tories/Red Tories whilst arguing against, er, the Tories and the Red Tories. Great point. And the SNP said that they would not campaign along with or share a platform with the Tories during the EU referendum - last night's debate had neither of those. But good to have your myopic view of things and blind hatred of the SNP back again. Its not been the same here.  

I am not bothered either way, but did she not stand shoulder to shoulder and campaign alongside Amber Rudd last night, whilst sharing a platform?

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

This is a red herring that has become fact by constant repetition.

The EU Commissioners are appointed by democratic consensus of the elected leaders of the 28 Member States.

Indeed, folk complaining about unelected EU officials are laughable given that we have the House of Lords with such weighty intellectuals as Michelle Mone in it and lets not forget about the Saxe Coburg Gotha's.

Edited by neilly71

6 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I am not bothered either way, but did she not stand shoulder to shoulder and campaign alongside Amber Rudd last night, whilst sharing a platform?

Unionists in the Scottish Parliament have been quick enough to say she is not doing enough or speaking up enough so damned if she does and damned if she doesnt. I wouldnt have thought being on a tv debate is the same thing but whatever.

Edited by neilly71

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, neilly71 said:

Unionists in the Scottish Parliament have been quick enough to say she is not doping enough or speaking up enough so damned if she does and damned if she doesnt. 

I agree, hence I mentioned I am not bothered either way.  If she has said she wouldn't, thats a silly mistake because even with my limited knowledge I would have thought there will be times / and issues where you would have to argue/debate your stance alongside people you would rather not be associated with.

55 minutes ago, neilly71 said:

Indeed, folk complaining about unelected EU officials are laughable given that we have the House of Lords with such weighty intellectuals as Michelle Mone in it and lets not forget about the Saxe Coburg Gotha's.

:lol:

She was on that Sky debate show last night telling the world that she has lost eight and a half stone!!

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

A point thats being missed, similar to the Scottish referendum is that if there is a vote to leave it wont happen overnight.

I believe that it would take until 2020 therefore nothing much will change in the immediate aftermath

I also believe that even if there is a vote to leave we wont

It is likely that if brexit wins the margin will be very small

Small enough for the establishment to renegotiate and with some jiggery pokery to stay in possibly after another general election

Several Labour MPs have already been quite open in saying that in the event of a vote in the referendum to leave the EU they will use (what undoubtedly is) a pro EU majority in the Commons to block any 'Brexit' legislation. And they were specifically talking about blocking, not just delaying.