SPFL Integrity- - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

On saturday, celtic beat partick thistle 1-2.

Celtic have a player Aiden Nisbett on loan to partick.

He can't play against his parent club but he can play against every other team.

Celtic have not broken any rules, but I would like to question the SFA ruling that allows this.

Just seems wrong in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Robroysboy said:

Celtic have not broken any rules, but I would like to question the SFA ruling that allows this.

I was always under the impression that it was the Club's themselves that agreed this, rather than a ruling from the League? 

40 minutes ago, Robroysboy said:

What planet do you live on?

You don't half post drivel. 

3 minutes ago, Jaggy Jim said:

Pretty sure it's a league rule. It's the same in England, while in Italy and Spain loanees play against their parent clubs.

Did you mean NOT a league rule ?

As others said, I think it's purely an agreement between individual clubs.

A better rule for football loans in general would be that a loanee cannot play in any competition that their parent club are also competing in (ie the same division or any same cup) then the loanee could never have any beneficial effect for their parent club (and also could never play against them, whether pre-agreed or not)

8 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

It's not a rule but what club would be daft enough to allow one of their own players to play against them?

Celtic.

Who was the Swedish guy that they loaned out a couple of years ago, and then promptly drew them in a CL qualifier?

8 hours ago, Jaggy Jim said:

I assumed it was a league rule, but just had a quick look at the SPFL rules and I'm not sure now. I don't ever remember a loanee playing against their parent club in Scotland though, not in recent years anyway.

Caley had some players on loan from Rangers when Brewster was manager and he played against them at Ibrox. 

9 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

It's not a rule but what club would be daft enough to allow one of their own players to play against them?

9 hours ago, deecie said:

Real Madrid.

Pretty sure UEFA rules state that loan agreements can't stop players playing against their parent clubs. seem to remember them talking about this regarding At Madrid & Chelsea couple of years ago.

9 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Lua Lua scored an equaliser for Portsmouth against Newcastle when on loan too.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Celtic.

Who was the Swedish guy that they loaned out a couple of years ago, and then promptly drew them in a CL qualifier?

Mo Bangura.

He's a Sierra Leone international but the club involved was Swedish.

Cost Celtic £2,200,000 and they got sixteen appearances and zero goals out of him.

Plays in China now.

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Mo Bangura.

He's a Sierra Leone international but the club involved was Swedish.

Cost Celtic £2,200,000 and they got sixteen appearances and zero goals out of him.

Plays in China now.

On 31 July 2013, in a buildup to a match against his parent club in the Third qualifying round of the Champions League, Manager Neil Lennon disapproved of the club letting Bangura playing against them after advising him not to play. In response, Manager Bo Johansson, on the other hand, disagrees with Lennon and described his comments “unacceptable and scandalous” and will let him play in both legs.[24] Joe Ledley made a statement to Bangura, warning him never come back to Celtic if Elfsborg eliminate Celtic from the Champions League and expressed his opinion on Bangura, that "I don’t think it would be the best move for him [Bangura]."[25] Eventually, Bangura played the match against his parent club and ended up losing 1-0, where he was booed by Celtic supporter and just 72 hours after the match, in a 2-1 loss against his former club, Bangura was subjected of abused and never stopped by his former club until the match ended. After the match, Bangura went on to say: "It’s like I was the devil. I cannot help hearing it, it’s like I’m just taking the blows right now. I can’t understand why they behave like this towards me. I simply do not understand why they think I’m a bad person. I do not understand what I have done to them."[26]

Amazing!

11 hours ago, Jaggy Jim said:

I assumed it was a league rule, but just had a quick look at the SPFL rules and I'm not sure now. I don't ever remember a loanee playing against their parent club in Scotland though, not in recent years anyway.

Callum Booth on loan to Raith played for them against his parent club Hibs a few seasons ago

13 hours ago, AberdeenAngus said:

I agree with the OP.

It's wrong. 

Pretty certain Real Madrid loaned Fernando Morientes to Monaco years ago and he scored the goals that knocked them out of the Champions League. 

In a lot of these cases the parent club are still paying a percentage of the players wages. You could end up in a situation where you are paying money to someone who's trying to inflict defeat on you. I can't think of many clubs who'd be happy with that arrangement. In the case of Bangoura Celtic didn't bother with a clause as they mistakenly thought it unlikely they would meet Elfsborg competitively. I don't think it's something they would leave to chance again.

Of course if Partick Thistle were unhappy with the terms no one's forcing them to take the boy, but I suspect they were happy to get a talented young lad knowing he would miss one game.

1 hour ago, slasher said:

In a lot of these cases the parent club are still paying a percentage of the players wages. You could end up in a situation where you are paying money to someone who's trying to inflict defeat on you. I can't think of many clubs who'd be happy with that arrangement. In the case of Bangoura Celtic didn't bother with a clause as they mistakenly thought it unlikely they would meet Elfsborg competitively. I don't think it's something they would leave to chance again.

Of course if Partick Thistle were unhappy with the terms no one's forcing them to take the boy, but I suspect they were happy to get a talented young lad knowing he would miss one game.

Probably, doubt it would have made any difference on Saturday.

And after reading Bangura's treatment it would likely do nothing to an up and coming 19 year old to have his parent club boo him for 90 minutes as well.

8 hours ago, ibelieve!!! said:

Pretty sure UEFA rules state that loan agreements can't stop players playing against their parent clubs. seem to remember them talking about this regarding At Madrid & Chelsea couple of years ago.

Its a club agreement i think. It was Courtouis against chealsea,Mourinhio basically said that he was at Atletico and was therefore their player and he wasnt going to stop him playing against chelsea.