Crossrail 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Boris Johnson, ...  confirmed Crossrail 2 was of “national significance”

Lord Adonis ... "His commission said the business case for the railway should be rewritten to make sure London contributed its fair share — more than half of the overall cost."

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/crossrail-2-gets-the-green-light-a3200286.html

7 hours ago, exile said:

Boris Johnson, ...  confirmed Crossrail 2 was of “national significance”

Yeah Boris. Right you are then!

7 hours ago, exile said:

Lord Adonis ... "His commission said the business case for the railway should be rewritten to make sure London contributed its fair share — more than half of the overall cost."

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/crossrail-2-gets-the-green-light-a3200286.html

A hoor of a lot more than half it ought to be. But of course this won't happen.

43 minutes ago, Alan said:

Crossrail spend was given % spend to Scotland via Barnett Formula so we benefited.

I'm guessing Crossrail2 will be the same.

I always thought that crossrail was a Barnett exempt project. Is that not the case? 

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I always thought that crossrail was a Barnett exempt project. Is that not the case? 

I remember the Daily Mail were outraged that Scotland benefited to the tune of £500m for Crossrail, going as far to question the Tory Parties "Englishness".  No idea about Crossrail 2.

Edited by Scunnered

6 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

I remember the Daily Mail were outraged that Scotland benefited to the tune of £500m for Crossrail, going as far to question the Tory Parties "Englishness".  No idea about Crossrail 2.

Daily Mail in talking shite shocker...

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/barnett_consequentials_crossrail

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

"In summary, while Scotland has received a Barnett share of consequentials
from the Crossrail project, it is not possible to identify the specific
amount received."

That's just stupid.

10 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Nope

HM Treasury Funding Statement for 15-16 shows both Crossrail and HS2 qualify for 100% Barnett consequentials so every £1 spent then Barnett gets roughly 10p extra for the Scottish Government to spend as it wishes. If you were to compare transport upgrades Crossrail is a brilliant idea and will deliver real change. The Edinburgh Glasgow investment was downgraded so journey times are only going to be about 12 mins shorter which is really disappointing as I travel every day. Glasgow and Edinburgh should be classed as 1 economic hub to attract and promote business and cooperation.

16 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It was originally classified as UK expenditure and so Barnett exempt but eventually the Treasury caved due to pressure as that was impossible to justify.

59 minutes ago, Alan said:

Can't wait to go down and try it out. Bonus already is Heathrow Express note offering cheap advance fares due to upcoming competition.

aaid - post a review when it goes live please.

I'm assuming that the Heathrow Express will be scrapped as it will be effectively redundant.  Unless your destination is actually Paddington, door to door you will be quicker off getting Crossrail into Central London and changing where appropriate.

They've missed a trick though that the Heathrow spur can only be accessed into and out of London.  Reading station had a massive upgrade a couple of years ago and had they extended the Heathrow spur so that it also goes in the direction of Reading then that could have been a hub with a direct connection to Heathrow that would mean you would not need to go into London to get to Heathrow.

26 minutes ago, phart said:

It'll not really be a novel experience will it? It's still a train or am i missing something about it's construction?

New train line cutting right through London using new trains with lots of new spacious stations. Love that shit.

27 minutes ago, phart said:

It'll not really be a novel experience will it? It's still a train or am i missing something about it's construction?

I love trains.  I wanted to be a train driver when I was a lad.  I play Train Simulator :D.  I regularly visit railways...  Hell I'm going to Yorkshire in the summer and have a whole rail itinerary planned out!

17 minutes ago, Alan said:

New train line cutting right through London using new trains with lots of new spacious stations. Love that shit.

Nah not for me. Looking out the window for sight-seeing might be cool, the rest holds no interest personally.

When I travel the transportation system is a big factor in my impression of the place. Central Scotland is linked well but the frequency and speed of services is lagging. The changes being made were "rolled" back from original plans. Won't be enough to make people move from cars.

6 hours ago, Scunnered said:

"In summary, while Scotland has received a Barnett share of consequentials
from the Crossrail project, it is not possible to identify the specific
amount received."

That's just stupid.

Welcome to the opaque world of the civil service!  :lol:

It does sound stupid, but I can believe it - the Scottish and UK governments aren't always very good at talking to each other.

It also rings true that funds might have been diverted from other transport projects to pay for Crossrail.  I remember a project to introduce a tram system in Leeds being cancelled in the mid-2000s, a couple of years before Crossrail was given the green light (at the time Leeds was one of the largest cities in Europe not to have some sort of tram or light railway network).

By the way, if trains are your thing (and since it's you, I have no reason to believe otherwise ;-) ) and you are in Yorkshire, I recommend a visit to the National Railway Museum in York.  You'll be in your element.  :)

Edited by scotlad
typo