Scottish Cup weekend - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup weekend

51 minutes ago, aaid said:

Just because its not possible to come up with something that matches the complex set of circumstances that come into play doesn't mean you can't draw a comparison.  They could have done comparisons with other weekends when the OF weren't playing earlier and that would probably have made the figures look even worse.   Using Internationals is about as fair as you can get as these are games which have a "wide" appeal, much wider than limited to people attending the game.

You're right that there will most likely be very little trouble at the game, certainly in the ground as that's largely a thing of the past due to improvements in policing.  Its also likely that the vast majority of people causing trouble in the aftermath wouldn't have been at the game and most likely would have been watching it in a pub getting drunk and stoking up their bitterness in a partisan environment.

You can't blame the clubs for centuries old religious bigotry and hatred. 

Just because there's a large number of ####wits who hit their partners when they are drunk and their team doesn't win is not footballs fault. 

It's the fault of the education system and the national culture.  Maybe if we'd had the bottle to stand on our own metaphorical 2 feet we'd see some of the population actually growing the feck up.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Just because there's a large number of ####wits who hit their partners when they are drunk and their team doesn't win is not footballs fault. 

It's the fault of the education system and the national culture.  Maybe if we'd had the bottle to stand on our own metaphorical 2 feet we'd see some of the population actually growing the feck up.

You're absolutely right and its not something that can be solved overnight or easily but that doesn't mean that there won't be women getting their heads kicked in as a result of this game.

11 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Seriously ?!

The fed it and fed off it most of their existence.

38 minutes ago, aaid said:

You're absolutely right and its not something that can be solved overnight or easily but that doesn't mean that there won't be women getting their heads kicked in as a result of this game.

It is not as a result of the game. The same cretins would be battering the same women but for different reasons if the game did not exist. 

32 minutes ago, fringo said:

Seriously ?!

The fed it and fed off it most of their existence.

Ah right. It used to just be a bit of good natured banter until the Old Firm got involved then?

1 minute ago, DoonTheSlope said:

How do you's think you's will do on the pitch?

:guitar:

If we play as well as we can, it will be a close game.

I reckon a 1-1 and Rangers to win on pens ?. 

55 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I don't think many, if any at all, people hit their partners because a football team loses. These domestic violence stats, if accurate, will be made up of people who probably do it on a regular basis I would think.

The alcohol consumed on that particular day is the real problem. Well that and the fact that those responsible are bullying shitebags. 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Spot on ma pal with education system in this little country.  I have taught with both catholic and non dem schools in west of scotland and grew up in sectarian place.  Thats not rangers and celtics fault.  Just the end result.  Hope the end results 5 - 0 for gers mind lol.  Until this country stops segregating wee kids at age of 4 or 5 it will never change.

27 minutes ago, Haggis McBasher said:

I don't think many, if any at all, people hit their partners because a football team loses. These domestic violence stats, if accurate, will be made up of people who probably do it on a regular basis I would think.

The alcohol consumed on that particular day is the real problem. Well that and the fact that those responsible are bullying shitebags. 

Agree Haggis.  Statistics are based on numbers.  And because Rangers and Celtic hold the vast following they have means they have the bigger amount of aresholes or wifebeaters as well I suppose.  But according to research 60% of statistics are made up. Just what I read mind.

6 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

It's been poor from both teams in fairness. Decent start to the game too. Their keeper has had 3 excellent saves and you lot were unlucky not to get a penalty, although it's a hard one for the ref. 

Certainly not a classic from a quality point of view , but as a neutral watching on TV I really enjoyed the game - some industrial tackles and the ref to be fair let then get on with it.

I'd rather not play them at all tbh but at least this time we SHOULD give them more of a fight than we did in the Kenny McDowall 'inspired' LC semi last year when our players were clapped off simply because we didn't get totally horsed. Celtic will still be strong odds on favourites though and I'd expect a decent Celtic team to turn up that day, unlike the recent mince performances.

I also look forward to the inevitable 40 quid plus ticket prices. On that point, at least it'll be a nice little earner to top up Dave King's summer war chest...

11 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

I'd rather not play them at all tbh but at least this time we SHOULD give them more of a fight than we did in the Kenny McDowall 'inspired' LC semi last year when our players were clapped off simply because we didn't get totally horsed. Celtic will still be strong odds on favourites though and I'd expect a decent Celtic team to turn up that day, unlike the recent mince performances.

I also look forward to the inevitable 40 quid plus ticket prices. On that point, at least it'll be a nice little earner to top up Dave King's summer war chest...

I have to admit I was pretty impressed with Rangers against Dundee yesterday. Not seen them much in last few years, let alone this season but if that's their current level they could give Celtic a good game.

11 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Ah, war chest.  Another phrase used by absolutely no-one outwith Scottish Football journalists.  Ranks alongside describing tickets as briefs, the SFA disciplinary panel as beaks and writing about players who issue come and get me pleas to end my [insert name of club or stadium] hell.

27 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Think both semi finals have to be the same price so you might not get completely ripped off..

I'm actually looking forward to both semis.

think the OF game will be tasty and agree that Rangers should put up more of a game this time.

heres hoping to a no drama match and for it to be remembered for the right reasons.

13 hours ago, ShedTA said:
10 hours ago, slasher said:

I'm hoping that the prospect of this game will galvanise the whole club out of its apathetic stupor. We've been sleepwalking towards disaster for months. 

You've got to think it will. Even your fans look like they can't be arsed just now. How many you reckon yesterday? 15k tops? 

A lot of Rangers fans fancy us to win this one (big contrast with last time),but I would expect Celtic to come out firing. You have enough boys in that squad that knows how big a fixture it is, and will get you up for it. Certainly the pressure is all on you, and we will have a go, so should be competitive. Haven't seen many Tims displaying Haggis' confidence, thus far, but I still think you have got to be favourites.

Edited by Angus_Young