Leicester - What A Team This Year - Page 20 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Leicester - What A Team This Year

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right lads one at a time...

First (and you should know this man city man) PSG got knocked out by the current fourth place in the premier league.  Look up that team if you need to.  They did beat Chelsea, currently 9th in the league while Arsenal got Barcelona at the same stage.

Second, Rodriguez and Bale aren't galacticos like Beckam or Zidane.  Had your man on the street even heard of Rodriguez before the last world cup?  They spent a fortune for Bale (and yes I think he is world class unfortunately) but who else was after him really?   The galactico buying period was buying the biggest profile players in the world.  Neymar and Ronaldo are bigger names than those two if you want an example that is more applicable. 

Real being the biggest spenders isn't the same as buying a team of players based on their fame rather than their ability to work as a team. It was only when they started buying players to make a team they became more successful again.

On 3 May 2016 at 0:08 AM, Clyde1998 said:

An interesting look at "Transfer Inflation": http://transferpriceindex.com/2011/09/transfer-inflation-1112-update-2/

This calculation gives a 730% rate of inflation between 1993 and 2012, based on the average transfer fee in the Premier League.

I don't have time to go through every transfer in England during the 1977-78 season to work out the average transfer fee, but the "rate of inflation" between the two largest transfers in 1977 and 2015 was 12,386% (£440k for Dalgish; £54.5m for De Bruyne) - implying that £150k in today's money is around £18.6m.

That's probably not far off the mark. In the late 70s, a decent midrange player would've cost in the region of 200k.  Nowadays it's more like 20 million. 

Of course one major difference between now and then is that there wasn't the same disparity between Scottish and English transfer fees.  Dalglish went for the UK record of £440k and he was an established SPL player and internationalist and arguably the best player in the UK at the time. The same year,  Rangers paid £100k for a promising youngster from Clydebank by the name of Davie Cooper.

3 minutes ago, thistle do nicely said:

First (and you should know this man city man) PSG got knocked out by the current fourth place in the premier league.  Look up that team if you need to.  They did beat Chelsea, currently 9th in the league while Arsenal got Barcelona at the same stage.

Going by that logic then, PSG got a lot further in the CL than the top 2 teams in England this year.

3 minutes ago, thistle do nicely said:

They spent a fortune for Bale (and yes I think he is world class unfortunately) but who else was after him really?   

PSG, Man Utd, Man City for 3

10 minutes ago, thistle do nicely said:

Second, Rodriguez and Bale aren't galacticos like Beckam or Zidane.  Had your man on the street even heard of Rodriguez before the last world cup?  They spent a fortune for Bale (and yes I think he is world class unfortunately) but who else was after him really?   The galactico buying period was buying the biggest profile players in the world.  Neymar and Ronaldo are bigger names than those two if you want an example that is more applicable. 

Real being the biggest spenders isn't the same as buying a team of players based on their fame rather than their ability to work as a team. It was only when they started buying players to make a team they became more successful again.

Outside of Messi, Ronaldo and then possibly Neymar and Suarez (who Real were never, ever going to get) who else would you class as a "Galactico" in the modern game?

11 minutes ago, thistle do nicely said:

That logic! Trying to argue your point based on a teams current league positions. Cracking.

11 minutes ago, thistle do nicely said:

Rodriguez went for about £45m in the season prior to the WC so I would imagine anyone with a general interest in football would have been aware of him then, if not when he was part of Porto's Europa League winning team a couple of seasons before then.

As for him not being a "galactico"  - top scorer at WC, best goal at WC and arguably best player at the WC. After the WC he was probably, for a short period of time, the most high profile/in demand player in the world. Hence Real bought him. 

4 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Outside of Messi, Ronaldo and then possibly Neymar and Suarez (who Real were never, ever going to get) who else would you class as a "Galactico" in the modern game?

The Bayern strikers and keeper, Aguero maybe, Iniesta.  At a slightly lower level half the Arsenal midfield and De Bruyne are big names where you would think this team means business if the bought them.

In the galctico times no-one was off limits even Figo moved.

22 minutes ago, thistle do nicely said:

Second, Rodriguez and Bale aren't galacticos like Beckam or Zidane.  Had your man on the street even heard of Rodriguez before the last world cup? 

Yes, some handsome, super knowledgeable football people backed him to be top goalscorer at the World Cup @ 150/1. 

I appreciate that i'm a cut above your average "man on the street" though ;) 

15 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

That logic! Trying to argue your point based on a teams current league positions. Cracking.

Rodriguez went for about £45m in the season prior to the WC so I would imagine anyone with a general interest in football would have been aware of him then, if not when he was part of Porto's Europa League winning team a couple of seasons before then.

As for him not being a "galactico"  - top scorer at WC, best goal at WC and arguably best player at the WC. After the WC he was probably, for a short period of time, the most high profile/in demand player in the world. Hence Real bought him. 

Anyone with a knowledge of French football might of heard of him.  Monaco only means a nice strip, a funny stadium and John Collins to most people.  Porto are/were a great team but hardly household names.  Except Hulk raaaaaarrrrrrrrr Hulk smash.

Yes I agree with your last paragraph.  My only (albeit weak) defence is he was the star of the world cup, but so was that russian boy (salenko?) who scored five goals and went to Rangers but that doesn't make a proven world class galctico really, just a passing hype.

PSG are linked with Neymar and Rodriguez, if you think winning only one knock out round that was against the 9th placed team in England isn't relevant then good for you.

Just keep cuddling that PSG teddy bear and bragging about that 4 in a row, it makes you sound all exotic and interesting, you with your cool foreign team.

You know that only 1 team can win theChampions league?

That can't be the only measure of success, albeit the ultimate aim of the super rich clubs.

PSG were narrowly defeated in the 1/4 final, it's speculation, but they may have been better suited to playing Real in the semi?

10 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

You know that only 1 team can win theChampions league?

That can't be the only measure of success, albeit the ultimate aim of the super rich clubs.

PSG were narrowly defeated in the 1/4 final, it's speculation, but they may have been better suited to playing Real in the semi?

That's the point, throwing money away for big names is only the folly of super rich chairmen.  

PSG seem to be trying to join this elite group of teams, and so far have not achieved the success the super rich teams demand. Maybe they will next time given the names they are allegedly targeting but I don't think on a global scale they have much to brag about yet, and this has probably hindered them in trying to buy the best players up until now.  If they don't challenge for the big trophy they could just be a retirement fund for aging players looking for a big pay day when they are past their best.

12 hours ago, thistle do nicely said:

That's the point, throwing money away for big names is only the folly of super rich chairmen.  

PSG seem to be trying to join this elite group of teams, and so far have not achieved the success the super rich teams demand. Maybe they will next time given the names they are allegedly targeting but I don't think on a global scale they have much to brag about yet, and this has probably hindered them in trying to buy the best players up until now.  If they don't challenge for the big trophy they could just be a retirement fund for aging players looking for a big pay day when they are past their best.

It's probably fair to say that they fail in Europe because the other French teams aren't big enough,strong enough or clever enough to give them any competition. 

Hardly psg's fault though. 

12 hours ago, dandydunn said:

It's probably fair to say that they fail in Europe because the other French teams aren't big enough,strong enough or clever enough to give them any competition. 

Hardly psg's fault though. 

Maybe they should apply to play in England?

1 hour ago, Fermer said:

Brilliant to see the scenes in Leicester last night.  Nae hatred just savouring teams glory.  Should be used a model for fans up here.  Naah, never catch on, no in Scotland.  Jealous.

Never catch on in Glasgow, you mean? 

I went to a trophy parade in Union Street in Aberdeen where 70,000 people lined Union Street. 

1 hour ago, Fermer said:

Brilliant to see the scenes in Leicester last night.  Nae hatred just savouring teams glory.  Should be used a model for fans up here.  Naah, never catch on, no in Scotland.  Jealous.

2014-03-23_parade_002_rdax_80.jpg

2014-03-23_parade_008_rdax_80.jpg

Jealous.

23 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Never catch on in Glasgow, you mean? 

I went to a trophy parade in Union Street in Aberdeen where 70,000 people lined Union Street. 

Parade_0616_94ins.jpg

1 million people turned out for this Rangers trophy parade..

3 hours ago, Fermer said:

Speak for yourself.

I've seen Killie win both the Scottish Cup and the League Cup and raced back down the road for the Open Top bus parade through the town. Both occasions being great atmospheres. 

Not our fault your fans can't be trusted though, so i can see why you'd be jealous of those that can.

Image result for killie 1997