Is Donald Trump's Campaign A Spoof? - Page 63 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is Donald Trump's Campaign A Spoof?

Yeah if all this effort had been made when it could have changed the result it would be good. After the fact with a turnout of just over 50% isn't a good look.

Instead they didn't get their vote out and thought calling everyone a racist/homophobe would be enough.

9 minutes ago, phart said:

Yeah if all this effort had been made when it could have changed the result it would be good. After the fact with a turnout of just over 50% isn't a good look.

Instead they didn't get their vote out and thought calling everyone a racist/homophobe would be enough.

Clinton got nearly 3 million more votes than Trump ............

Edit - not that would have been any better of an outcome

Edited by Ally Bongo

15 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Clinton got nearly 3 million more votes than Trump ............

Edit - not that would have been any better of an outcome

So?Big cities like NY had 75-80% for Clinton. but popular vote isn't how the race is measured. Wracking up massive advantages in small areas doesn't work.

65 million voted for Clinton

62 million voted for trump

90 million didnt vote

You could therefore argue that 90 million were against Trump or Clinton and as such protests are not unexpected whoever won 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

65 million voted for Clinton

62 million voted for trump

90 million didnt vote

You could therefore argue that 90 million were against Trump or Clinton and as such protests are not unexpected whoever won 

Nope. If there'd been 90 miilion spoiled ballots, then you could argue that with legitimacy. As it is, 90 million folk just didn't care enough to vote. 

The obsession with Trump is a cover for many of those calling themselves "left/liberal", as if to claim political decency. They are not "left", neither are they especially "liberal". Much of America's aggression towards the rest of humanity has come from so-called liberal Democratic administrations - such as Obama's. America's political spectrum extends from the mythical centre to the lunar right. The "left" are homeless renegades Martha Gellhorn described as "a rare and wholly admirable fraternity". She excluded those who confuse politics with a fixation on their navels.

While they "heal" and "move forward", will the Writers Resist campaigners and other anti-Trumpists reflect upon this? More to the point: when will a genuine movement of opposition arise? Angry, eloquent, all-for-one-and-one-for all. Until real politics return to people's lives, the enemy is not Trump, it is ourselves.

http://johnpilger.com/articles/this-week-the-issue-is-not-trump-it-is-ourselves-

Documentary film maker and journalists John Pilger's view.

9 hours ago, Parklife said:

Nope. If there'd been 90 miilion spoiled ballots, then you could argue that with legitimacy. As it is, 90 million folk just didn't care enough to vote. 

Well that is definitely true of a lot of people but also there is also the fact that quite a lot of people are disenfranchised by the electoral college system.

For example, the state I live in, democrats always win (since 1988 anyway) so a lot of people, on both sides of the political spectrum, do not bother to vote. I think that might be true in a lot of states.

31 minutes ago, Denny's Yard said:

Well that is definitely true of a lot of people but also there is also the fact that quite a lot of people are disenfranchised by the electoral college system.

For example, the state I live in, democrats always win (since 1988 anyway) so a lot of people, on both sides of the political spectrum, do not bother to vote. I think that might be true in a lot of states.

Blue States became Red though.

7 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Blue States became Red though.

Yeah, definitely.  Five I think.  But that leaves another 45 (plus D.C.) that voted as they did in the previous election.  Some of them would have been closer than others but if you live in a state that was not close, and has not been historically, then you might begin to think there is no point voting, giving a reduced overall turnout.

A similar situation to what I had when I was first eligible to vote, and lived in Dumbarton.  Red rosette on a monkey and all of that.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that Trump won by 77 electoral votes (and he wasn't projected to win at all).

(If a person is truly upset about the outcome of the election and didn't vote, then they should just bang their head off of a brick wall and be decent enough to leave the rest of society alone.)

20161113_protestday5_1.jpg

Trump has to be given a chance and i do wish the media would just back off

However he isnt doing himself any favours

Electing a guy that cannot accept criticism is not going to end well for anyone

10 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that Trump won by 77 electoral votes (and he wasn't projected to win at all).

(If a person is truly upset about the outcome of the election and didn't vote, then they should just bang their head off of a brick wall and be decent enough to leave the rest of society alone.)

20161113_protestday5_1.jpg

I was addressing the point of why there was a low turn out, rather than getting involve in party politics. 

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Trump has to be given a chance and i do wish the media would just back off

However he isnt doing himself any favours

Electing a guy that cannot accept criticism is not going to end well for anyone

2 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Absolutely must now be allowed to fail. Hysteria now needs to subside and allow for clear, calm, opposition. He's an utter moron of unbelievable proportions so he's going to screw up in good time. Patience required.

Bizarre though it seems, we should all be hoping that Trump 'succeeds'.......when I say 'succeeds', I mean that he manages to have a generally strong Presidency that helps unite Americans and makes the world a safer place.

I don't see how him failing as a President benefits anyone, to be honest.

16 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Bizarre though it seems, we should all be hoping that Trump 'succeeds'.......when I say 'succeeds', I mean that he manages to have a generally strong Presidency that helps unite Americans and makes the world a safer place.

A fair point but I assumed (probably wrongly) that that would be a given. My comment is based on the assumption that he's not going to succeed. My comment stands regardless of whether you think he's going to succeed or fail - the hysteria needs to die down and Trump left to get on with it. If he's going to succeed, he should be given every chance to do so; if he's going to fail, his opponents need to be diligent and determined, and make sure there is no ambiguity if he crosses a line. As always, we're better off when a government is held to account by a harsh but fair media and public. Screaming that he's a monster every other day isn't going to cut it.

There's a frustrated people of America that has seen their jobs taken away from them to other parts of the world.

There are issues with extreme ghettos in some American cities.  

His comments on race are patronising and demeaning.  He expects another country to pay for his country's policy decisions.  And he wants to take "ISIS's" oil...middle eastern people's own given resource as a spoil of war.  His language is dangerous on a foreign policy level.

He can't be condoned.  We may be entering an era of protectionist policies on jobs which would be an interesting debate if it wasn't for Trump spoiling the good with the obscene..  Otherwise we're as well shutting Scotland up, giving up the Highlands to Saudi Sheikhs for hunting trips, and all of us moving to Mumbai to compete for all the work in one place.

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

Well one of his first acts has been to start the move to make Jerusalem the recognised capital of Israel, at least as far as the USA is concerned, so I think it's safe to say he will never make the World a safer place.