Top 5 Best Cities In The World - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Top 5 Best Cities In The World

Reykjavik

Barcelona/Bilbao

Salzburg/Basel

San Francisco

Honolulu(For a city it's great, but the rest of the Oahu is much better)

It's too hard to narrow it down to 5 to be honest. The likes of Amsterdam, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Dublin, Athens, Bucharest, Budapest etc are all worth visiting. I've had great times in loads of cities in Italy, Switzerland, Germany, France, Spain, Belgium, The US and so on.

I really want to explore South America though. Catch Football in Buenos Aires and Sao Paolo, Visit Uruguay, Colombia, Peru, Chile, Bolivia.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not been to that many cities, especially outside Europe. But of the ones I have, the ones I've enjoyed most:

Seattle

Las Vegas

Singapore

Prague

London

Would like to see Vancouver (lifestyle), Chicago (architecture), New York (the buzz), Melbourne (family), Athens (ruins) and Shanghai (family).

Rome

Melbourne

Edinburgh

San Francisco

I've heard from several people whose opinions I respect that Buenos Aries is a great city, but never been. As I said earlier I do like London very much, and Dublin is (or certainly was, haven't been in 10 years) a great place to live. My wife lived in Texas for years and she always raves about Austin, but, again, never been there.

I've been to quite a few cities as part of cruises so don't think you get a real feel for them; trying to do it all in the one day. As far as the list goes this is it.

St. Petersburg (going back to the Baltic in September)

Dubrovnik

Venice ( I know it sucks in some ways but still it's a city built on water)

Pisa

Stockholm

as for British cities, does Brechin count because I have great memories of going to Glebe Park during the Partick Thistle wilderness years of the 80's.

Should have mentioned Metz in France too.

If we are including smaller cities (and I listed Edinburgh I suppose) I'd also mention Bordeaux, Elche and Lucca. But these are more just great places to live (I'd reckon) as opposed to as serious suggestion for Best Cities in the World. I really liked Graz too, but not sure if a day and a half on the batter there really puts me in a position to say if I'd like to live there.

Istanbul - stunning city - fantastic little trips on the ferries across the Bospherus.

Paris - j'aime beacoup . If I could live in any city outside UK it would be Paris.

Barcelona - buzzing - what a place.

Budapest - great scenery alongside the Danube , love the trams , pubs and restaurants - but especially the open air baths.

San Juan (Puerto Rico) - another place with stunning scenery.

honourable mentions :-

Lisbon - would like to see more of it - just passed through on way to Algarve.

Rome - heading there en route to Scotland game in Malta in Spetember -having a couple of days on way back.

Edinburgh

New Orleans - just avoid Bourbon St

Ljubljana

Prague

Stockholm

Barcelona was promising but there for less than 24 hours between the Vaduz and Alicante games.

Bourbon Street is quality to spend a night getting pished on if you have the cash. Avoiding Bourbon Street on a New Orleans trip is like avoiding the Eiffel Tower on a Paris trip.

Bored (and slightly drunk so can't swear to the absolute accuracy - 5 votes or more):

New York: 15

London: 15

Praha: 11

Berlin: 11

Paris: 10

Rome: 10

Barca: 9

Vegas: 8

Edinburgh: 8

San Fran: 6

Sydney: 5

Budapest: 5

Edited by DonnyTJS

Bourbon Street is quality to spend a night getting pished on if you have the cash. Avoiding Bourbon Street on a New Orleans trip is like avoiding the Eiffel Tower on a Paris trip.

I probably shouldn't have said avoid it completely. You do have to visit it and I did spend one night there, but it's just a tourist trap now with hardly any live music, too many karaoke bars and fake Hurricane cocktails. Frenchman is the street to go if you want a more authentic experience. Great food and live music.

I probably shouldn't have said avoid it completely. You do have to visit it and I did spend one night there, but it's just a tourist trap now with hardly any live music, too many karaoke bars and fake Hurricane cocktails. Frenchman is the street to go if you want a more authentic experience. Great food and live music.

Decatur Street was the street I loved best.