London Is The Greatest City In The World - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

London Is The Greatest City In The World

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never understood the argument around not wanting to raise a family there. It has literally everything you would ever need for raising a family.

It may have but it also has a lot you don't want. It's a very busy placeb- just too many people for my likingnowadays, takes longer to get anywhere, including out into the country - which is a big minusfor me.

I stayed in Surbiton/Kingston/Tolworth from 1984 to 1986. Brilliant place to live with excellent pubs , great beer , loads of singles out and about.Great public transport everywhere and lovely summers evenings with pubs on the banks of the Thames in Thames Ditton. But I very rarely ventured up to Central London. Been there many a time and doesn't hold much appeal for me.

My favourite cities are Paris, Barcelona then followed by Budapest - but have to say was blown away by Istanbul on way to Georgia last year. Stunning city.

In the UK has to be Glasgow and Liverpool for me - closely followed by Edinburgh which is more scenic but not quite got the same buzz for me as Glasgow and Liverpool.

Hmmmm Hampstead Heath TartanJon??? I know you like walking a lot up here and around parks. Careful down there though. I think they call it cruising. Cheapest pint I've ever had in Landan was in the Volunteer Arms at Tottenham Hale at £2.69. Careful you don't have too many because a certain resident (you met recently) might take you through a certain Tottenham estate to get to the High road. Not clever and never to be tried again. Oh and avoid Hackney main street. It has the unusual concept of making certain areas in Glasgow look plush.

It's in England, it sells mostly crap beer.

It is a shit tip.

I think you're getting Scotland and England mixed up mate.

Pubs down south put our shitholes to shame although it is changing for the better.

Most of our pubs have Tennents,Stella,Some brown liquid shit,Strongbow,Guiness and for those trendies who like to think it's still 2005,the one,the only,Peroni on draught.All extra cold.

I think you're getting confused with Wetherspoons.

Joking aside, I find you generally get a decent pint in most Wetherspoons pubs, as they tend to keep them clean. It's just everything else that makes drinking in them a depressing experience!

Similar to many others I lived there for a while (6 years) and loved it at the time. Straight out of Uni, single, living in one of the workd's great cities, with a few quid in my back pocket. Really was great. As has also been said, it is in many ways a collection of very large villages, for the majority the city centre (unless they commute there for work) is a bit of an irrelevance. But it is there and is readily accessible. I lived in Ealing and Chiswick, if I'm honest rarely felt the need to venture into the 'delights' of Covent Garden etc. It has changed incredibly in the past 15-20 years with the emergence of place like Shoreditch and the gentrification of bits of east and south London that were, frankly, shitholes when I was down there. Went out for a meal in Clapham when I was down for the olympics, couldn't believe how much it has changed. The pubs are clearly superior to Glasgow (hardly difficult) be it trendy hipster places, or more traditional ones. Overall though glad I don't live there anymore, speaking to friends who are still there I am constantly struck at how stressful they seem to find everything, stuff that just doesn't seem to be an issue in Edinburgh. Employers have tried to relocate me down there several times over the years, and considered it, but just not worth it. Love to visit it though, and there is always something new and interesting to see.

Natural History Museum is great. I'm not a fan of the rest of it but I don't like cities so that's not surprising. It's nicer than Delhi and Beijing though, both of which are incredibly noisy.

The V&A next door to it is one of the best museums in London.The Tate Britain & Modern are really good to visit as well.

Naw. It isnae.

My youngest lad works in the North Sea oil industry. He lived/worked in London at his head office for a couple of years. He quite enjoyed it for eating out/kicking place for young folk etc etc.

He now works 2 weeks on/3 off. He decided he wanted to try living in Berlin for most of his time off rather than London. He says there is absolutely no comparison as Berlin is far better - especially for quality/value of rented accommodation. Been across for a long weekend recently(as well as previous Tartan Army visits gaun via Berlin) and have to agree . Public transport is much cheaper/cleaner. Micro-breweries everywhere. Every nationality under the sun has cafes/restaurants/bars in the city. The place is chilled oot tae fck compared to so much of London/Londoners who still think its the centre of a fckn Empire.

Berlin hammers London particularly when applied to the fitba. Went to see Union Berlin and was a great all day experience. We both loved the terracing, excellent & affordable beer and food. Headn back to visit him soon to take in two home games at Hertha & Union. Cannae wait. Visit London ? Only if paid.

London's museums are the main attraction for me.

Add the Science Museum to the list. Hope to make it down to see "Cosmonauts" before it finishes...

I went to the Magna Carta exhibition at the British Library when I was down in April,the Magna Carta stuff was good but I loved seeing Thomas Jefferson's hand written copy of the Declaration of Independence & Bill of Rights.

I went to the Magna Carta exhibition at the British Library when I was down in April,the Magna Carta stuff was good but I loved seeing Thomas Jefferson's hand written copy of the Declaration of Independence & Bill of Rights.

Went to that, loved it. I also got on a tour of the Royal Society when I was down, real highlight of last year for me. Put me in the mood for a trip to London this has. Edited by Pool Q

Naw. It isnae.

My youngest lad works in the North Sea oil industry. He lived/worked in London at his head office for a couple of years. He quite enjoyed it for eating out/kicking place for young folk etc etc.

He now works 2 weeks on/3 off. He decided he wanted to try living in Berlin for most of his time off rather than London. He says there is absolutely no comparison as Berlin is far better - especially for quality/value of rented accommodation. Been across for a long weekend recently(as well as previous Tartan Army visits gaun via Berlin) and have to agree . Public transport is much cheaper/cleaner. Micro-breweries everywhere. Every nationality under the sun has cafes/restaurants/bars in the city. The place is chilled oot tae fck compared to so much of London/Londoners who still think its the centre of a fckn Empire.

Berlin hammers London particularly when applied to the fitba. Went to see Union Berlin and was a great all day experience. We both loved the terracing, excellent & affordable beer and food. Headn back to visit him soon to take in two home games at Hertha & Union. Cannae wait. Visit London ? Only if paid.

Now I'm a big big fan of Berlin been there loads of times and going back in a couple of weeks but your last statement is clearly pish - and I've been to both Hertha and Union and to be fair enjoyed it.

For no other reason than the amount of choice available, Berlin comes no where near to London, in fact its got the least choice of all the major German cities, Hamburg, Munich and best of the lot NRW are much better.

London; 5 teams in the Premiership, 4 teams in the Championship, 1 in League One, 3 in League 2, 2 in the National League, 2 in the National League South and three divisions of the Ryman League, the bulk of whose teams are inside the M25.

Berlin: Hertha in the Bundesliga, Union in Bundesliga 2, three teams in the Regionaliga Nord-Ost - if you include Hertha II - and one division of the Oberliga.

It really doesn't come close, if its having a beer while watching the football that turns you on, go to non-league.

Went to that, loved it. I also got on a tour of the Royal Society when I was down, real highlight of last year for me. Put me in the mood for a trip to London this has.

Harry Potter,Sea Life,Tower of London,pictures in Leicester Sq already booked

I've done nearly all the museums ,art galleries,HoP,Hampton Court ,parks,zoo so I'm trying to find other things to do