London Is The Greatest City In The World - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

London Is The Greatest City In The World

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So while on topic, I'm in London next week and will have a good few hours to kill.

I'm thinking of taking in the Churchill War Roomsmor the Hoysesmof Parliament. Any recommendations?

J

Imperial war museum lambeth road. Free entry.

If you are into the first and second wat this is awesome.

They have both allie and German tanks. The German tanks were twice the size. They really did have better weapons and if it wasn't for the yanks we would all be speaking German.

Also has a touching memorial to the Holocaust.

So while on topic, I'm in London next week and will have a good few hours to kill.

I'm thinking of taking in the Churchill War Roomsmor the Hoysesmof Parliament. Any recommendations?

J

Contact your local MP for a tour of Westminster Palace rather than pay for it although you're probably a bit late

The V & A is the best museum I've been in closely followed by Tate Britain,You can see James Bond's work if you go to the Tate Britain and Tracy Emins durty knickers

On a London themed tangent...

Anyone ever flew to London City? Is it easy enough to get in to the city centre from there?

Aye, DLR at the airport to Canning Town and then Jubilee line will take you into the city centre. About 40 minutes all in I reckon.

On a London themed tangent...

Anyone ever flew to London City? Is it easy enough to get in to the city centre from there?

Really easy. The DLR station is right outside the terminal building and depending on where you are going you can be in Central London in 30 minutes or so, eg LCY to Westminster in 25 minutes.

Its a really small airport, you are out of the terminal building 5 minutes after parking up.

It can get fog bound from time to time but if you are heading into the City Centre I think its the best option.

Really easy. The DLR station is right outside the terminal building and depending on where you are going you can be in Central London in 30 minutes or so, eg LCY to Westminster in 25 minutes.

Its a really small airport, you are out of the terminal building 5 minutes after parking up.

It can get fog bound from time to time but if you are heading into the City Centre I think its the best option.

I'd agree with that. City is a pretty easy airport to use, great transport links. Not much airside when you're flying out of though.

I'm sure you're right, I haven't been in a Wetherspoons for years. Didn't they keep it cheap by buying barrels that were almost on the turn?

Anyroad, the explosion of microbreweries in recent years, and the pubs that look after their cellars and stock a decent range while not having the atmosphere of an airport terminal are a couple of the factors that make modern life worth living so feck knows what macy37 was on about.

Oh, I didn't know that about the barrels. I thought they kept it cheap by following the old principle of piling it high (so to speak).

There are a couple of 'spoons that I visit occasionally in Glasgow (the pub choice in Glasgow city centre tends to be poor for a city its size), the Sir John Moore and the Edward Wylie. Moores, in particular, resembles the Star Wars bar if the Star Wars bar sold microwaved grub and had sticky tables and floors but the beer, particularly the guest beer, is always well kept, sometimes more so than more characterful pubs I've been to.

Oh, I didn't know that about the barrels. I thought they kept it cheap by following the old principle of piling it high (so to speak).

There are a couple of 'spoons that I visit occasionally in Glasgow (the pub choice in Glasgow city centre tends to be poor for a city its size), the Sir John Moore and the Edward Wylie. Moores, in particular, resembles the Star Wars bar if the Star Wars bar sold microwaved grub and had sticky tables and floors but the beer, particularly the guest beer, is always well kept, sometimes more so than more characterful pubs I've been to.

C'mon, the Sir John Moore and the Edward G Wylie. You have got to be having a laugh.

They have both allie and German tanks. The German tanks were twice the size. They really did have better weapons and if it wasn't for the yanks we would all be speaking German.

I think the Russians had a part to play also! :lol:

Heading down next week with the work. Staying overnight in the Days Inn London Waterloo in Kennington Road which according to the map is around the Lambeth area. On my tod and since its a Tuesday night no doubt there will be televised fitba of some description. Any decent hostelries nearby that our resident Londoners can recommend?

Edited by King Of Paisley

Heading down next week with the work. Staying overnight in the Days Inn London Waterloo in Kennington Road which according to the map is around the Lambeth area. On my tod and since its a Tuesday night no doubt there will be televised fitba of some description. Any decent hostelries nearby that our resident Londoners can recommend?

The Cut has lots of nice boozers and plenty of places to eat,just head for the Old Vic.

How far is The Old Vic from where I am biding, TJ? Sounds like your traditional Tudor jobs with oak beams inside.

10 minute walk. The Old Vic is a theatre though. The Windmill across the road is a decent boozer and has sports on. Kings Arms on Roupell Street a couple of streets back is another cracking boozer as well.