London Is The Greatest City In The World - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

London Is The Greatest City In The World

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye.

The sports centre, The Dams, McGill's buses, Main Street, the Cowan Park, the Dunterlie match day experience, Levern walk, rammy at the Arthurlie social club, the Gerry Park, Johnny Blue's Well, the Craigie, Snooks ........

Why go to London when Barrheid's got it all ! Plenty to see and do.

I think you will find the sports centre (famous for thr sweatoest games of fives around) is now "the foundry" whatever that means, as far as I know the Library is in their too haha. Barrhead is actually a great wee place to live, the percentage of Neds seems to have gone down although the junkies in the main Street has doubled.....maybe there's a connection there.

Has a higher percentage of rude, ignorant cants than anywhere in the world I reckon. Folk who will push you out of the way to catch an underground train when there's one going the same place literally minutes later.

Me and the missus were once taking the escalator up to fifth floor of a department store and a guy came pushing past on his phone, bemoaning the "###### idiots" who hadn't moved into the right, as you'd expect on the underground. This was on a Sunday afternoon.

We overheard him and both went ###### nuts at him. He went bright red and everyone else around at the time were pishing themselves at the horrible #####.

Great city, but far too many folk just like that.

Amsterdam dumps all over London.

My least favourite city - dirty, dodgy and dear (don't mind forking out for a pint when I'm away, but not when the choice is Heineken, Amstel or Oranjeboom :barf: ).

My pet hates in Glasgow these days are people who stand on the left side of an escalator and folk who can't put a feckin ticket through a machine in a train station.Maybe I'm becoming too cockney for my own liking me old mucker

:ok: Well said, although 'train station' is a horrible Americanism :wink2: .

Lived in London 10-and-a-half years now. Amazing place - never, ever get bored. The place is constantly changing; when I first came here we'd tend to go out eating/drinking in the West End/Covent Garden, then a few years later it became East London/Shoreditch/Bethnal Green. Now it's all over the place - even places like Deptford and New Cross are great now for new places/bars/parks/restaurants to go to.

The 11pm closing time for pubs in certain central boroughs can be annoying, but when the tube (or certain lines) go 24-hour later this year then that'll probably change (as pubs already have 24-hour licences).

Greatest city in the world though? Depends on your criteria and what you're after really (NY possibly edges it for me). There are lots of nice parts in London, lots of terrible parts - like anywhere else.

Just randomly listing stuff off the top of the head like the South Bank, Borough Market, Carnival, Brick Lane, Edgware Road, Greenwich, Brixton - I don't really get the hate for the place.

Edited by new hugh

I suppose a living in a city depends on many things but after affordability I'd probably say age has a big significance. Lived in London twice (10 years apart) and enjoyed both spells for very different reasons. London is full of shyte but I don;t think anyone could argue against it being one of the best cities in the world.

I've been lucky enough to have lived in a few great cities and the order I'd put them in for no reasons other than them being the best for me in terms of experience are:

New York

Munich

London

Hong Kong

Toronto

Glasgow

Frankfurt

But the best city I have ever lived in is Edinburgh.

And I am not quite sure if the rude, impatient people are born and raised Londoners or if it just disproportionately attracts such folk.

Contempt breeds contempt. I think a lot of people arrive there nice and polite then slowly develop c**tish tendencies as time goes on.

:ok: Well said, although 'train station' is a horrible Americanism :wink2: .

Agreed.

"Queen Street Hauptbahnhof" sounds much better.

Although, I'm pretty sure 'Bahnhof' translates as 'Railway Station' - which I've always viewed as a disgusting Britishisation.

Contempt breeds contempt. I think a lot of people arrive there nice and polite then slowly develop c**tish tendencies as time goes on.

As Barney Ronay once wrote about London:

"Spend enough time here and you quickly realise that the old saying theres an arsehole in every village isnt true any more, because theyve all left and gone to live in London, a city whose turbines run on arseholes, that positively seeks them out, promising not only to enrich them but to comfort them with the presence of others."

If you are judging London it has to be against cities of similar size, of which there aren't really all that many. Maybe 30 or so in the world.

You can't compare it to a wee village in the highlands, beacause then you are just saying you prefer to live in the countryside, which is fair enough but not really answering the question. You can't even really compare it to Edinburgh or Glasgow as they are so much smaller.

You have to judge it against places like Tokyo, Delhi, New York, São Paulo, Paris, Mexico City, etc. And I think it actually comes out quite well against most other cities of that size.

Having said that, I am happy not to live there anymore.

Discuss

It is without a doubt one of the best cities in the world aye. Stayed there for 5 and a half years until May last year when I moved back to Glasgow. Would give ma right baw to be able to afford a gaff and live the rest of my days there. A wonderful place.

Lived there 5 years. Had a great time. Lots to do though didn't really do much of it and met tons of great people many of whom are still my friends.

Would not want to live there now though or raise a family there. Great to visit though.

I've never understood the argument around not wanting to raise a family there. It has literally everything you would ever need for raising a family.

Because I am a bit bored with work today, here is a list of cities with more than 10M inhabitants, taken from Wikipedia..

Tokyo

Jakarta

Seoul

Delhi

Shanghai

Karachi

New York

Mexico City

Beijing

São Paulo

Lagos

Mumbai

Osaka

Manila

Cairo

Los Angeles

Dhaka

Moscow

Buenos Airies

Bangkok

Istanbul

Kolkata

Rio de Janerio

London

Tehran

Guangzhou

Kinshasa

Shenzhen

Paris

Rhine-Ruhr

I've been to 15 of those 30 and would probably out London first or second out of the cities I have been to.