Only An Excuse Was Rubbish - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Only An Excuse Was Rubbish

To be devils advocate, they need to make it for your mum, your granny etc. they can't just aim it at football people.

(Things like the Rangers fan arguing it wasn't a new year are quite funny, but went right over my wife's head.)

It's been worse, has become a new year tradition to watch it, then say how bad it was.

:lol:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from that there we're a few other decent ones. Leigh Griffith, some of SAF but as someone mentioned think it suffers from its clearly low budget production and I dont really understand why he delves into politics. was it normally just about Scottish football when it first started?

Edited by JECK

Still Game wasn't much better. It reached its peak in serious 3 or 4. It was downhill from there

What made the first three series of Still Game so good was that they tackled genuine issues for many elderly people such as loneliness, boredom, money worries, grief and feeling vulnerable and found a brilliant contrast with the earthy working class humour and the OAPs getting up-to mischief.

The first three series of Still Game are superb, accept no substitute, it was top notch. Sadly, the fourth series was atrocious, every episode was dire. Series five was a return to form, especially the one where Jack, Victor and Winston decorate/demolish Isa's flat which is is my all time favourite. Didn't think series six was much good, became very outlandish and was very flat.

Apart from that there we're a few other decent ones. Leigh Griffith, some of SAF but as someone mentioned think it suffers from its clearly low budget production and I dont really understand why he delves into politics. was it normally just about Scottish football when it first started?

Your right, the current affairs stuff he's put in them for the last few years is awful. Watson and his team of writers don't have the brains to do political satire.

Your right, the current affairs stuff he's put in them for the last few years is awful. Watson and his team of writers don't have the brains to do political satire.

I actually thought Watson's Wind Up on the radio was far better than anything on Only An Excuse since the mid 90s.

Maybe the reason there's more in it about Scottish politics is that there's actually more material to explore there nowadays than there was back at the time of the "feeble fifty"?

What made the first three series of Still Game so good was that they tackled genuine issues for many elderly people such as loneliness, boredom, money worries, grief and feeling vulnerable and found a brilliant contrast with the earthy working class humour and the OAPs getting up-to mischief.

The first three series of Still Game are superb, accept no substitute, it was top notch. Sadly, the fourth series was atrocious, every episode was dire. Series five was a return to form, especially the one where Jack, Victor and Winston decorate/demolish Isa's flat which is is my all time favourite. Didn't think series six was much good, became very outlandish and was very flat.

Or football satire

The stereotypical paranoid stupid Rangers and Celtic fans are really spot on. It's the type of banter I have with mates.

"As a disciple of the Emerald Isle...hullo is this the phone in" haha

This is where (to cut them some slack) it must be quite difficult.

They tread a fine line, as some of the more football in-jokes, like the Rangers fan on the date phoning radio Clyde and asking to speak to "Mr Keevins" are quite clever and witty, but was really difficult to explain to my wife.

To be honest, if you live outside the radio Clyde catchment, you probably wouldn't get that.

It's trying to appeal to everyone, and possibly not really appealing to anyone?

Definitely been worse! Could maybe do with some support (Tony roper wasn't as accurate with his impressions, but was funny)

How is this still being made?

BBC Scotland has a budget that does not reflect a pro rate equivalent of the license fee revenue raised in Scotland.

They also have absolutely no imagination so if they had the budget of PSG, they would still be turning out crap.

The Hogmanay Ceilidh on BBC Alba was excellent though.