Is Anyone Cofident We'll At Least Make The Play Offs - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is Anyone Cofident We'll At Least Make The Play Offs

bonny78

Very unlikely that anyone who watches Scotland will declare that they are confident we will qualify. England should win group and, unfortunately, our manager and players will be realistic enough to realise this. Maybe this will suit our mentality- underdogs. We have a chance to qualify but our limitations are well documented on these pages., especially defence. From www reports, Slovakia will be 2nd favs I reckon. Beginning to get nervous about Malta away. It would not be the greatest surprise if we did not win that one. I would be absolutely delighted and astounded if we took max points from Malta, Lithuania and Slovenia then 4 from Slovakia and it is feasible that we can get points from the English given that it is ,a funny old game' but there are a lot of cards needing to fall in our favour for all this to happen.

All we can do is what we always do - get behind the team and support them, hope for the best. Be interested in opinion of how group will finish if most recent form is applied. Difficult to assess and I find myself hoping for games going against form and in our favour already. Just hope we are still in with a shout at end of campaign.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very unlikely that anyone who watches Scotland will declare that they are confident we will qualify. England should win group and, unfortunately, our manager and players will be realistic enough to realise this. Maybe this will suit our mentality- underdogs. We have a chance to qualify but our limitations are well documented on these pages., especially defence. From www reports, Slovakia will be 2nd favs I reckon. Beginning to get nervous about Malta away. It would not be the greatest surprise if we did not win that one. I would be absolutely delighted and astounded if we took max points from Malta, Lithuania and Slovenia then 4 from Slovakia and it is feasible that we can get points from the English given that it is ,a funny old game' but there are a lot of cards needing to fall in our favour for all this to happen.

All we can do is what we always do - get behind the team and support them, hope for the best. Be interested in opinion of how group will finish if most recent form is applied. Difficult to assess and I find myself hoping for games going against form and in our favour already. Just hope we are still in with a shout at end of campaign.

Wouldn't expect us to beat any of these teams away, or even really try to tbh. 4321 and a defensive slow pace playing out a boring draw or narrowly losing is all we are set up for at the moment. Pathetic.

With the realistic hat on, England will win 8 or 9 games minimum. If they're going to drop points then it's as well being against us, we're more than capable of nicking something in 1 of the fixtures. The key will be the other 4 away games, as isolated results defeats in Slovenia and Slovakia aren't the end of the world as long as we win the home games. However if we want to finish 2nd we should be looking for 4.

As usual it's the banana skins that worry me but if we don't take 12 points off Malta and Lithuania then we don't deserve to finish above 4th.

In summary, I think we'll finish 3rd!

We've definitely got a chance of the playoff! What the fcuk is the point in following Scotland if you think we haven't a chance??

England will win the group then I think it will be between Scotland and Slovakia for second place!

It all depends on how we start.. Must beat Malta, must beat Lithuania at Hampden and need to get something in Slovakia. England will beat us at Wembley (hate to say that) but it's reality!

Know in us we'll probably make the playoffs, be on the verge of qualifying, then concede a goal in the dying seconds at Hampden to get knocked oot

If we are going to have any chance of finishing 2nd, we firstly need to rely on England (who I am more than sure will win the group.....) not being like Germany and dropping silly points to Slovakia and Slovenia, and ultimately we need to win in Slovakia and (more importantly.....) over coming our curse of not coming away from Lithuania with full points.

And with the exception of the last campaign - where their group was unbelievably easy - England have a habit of having at least dodgy result in qualifying.

Can guarantee it won't be against us, they'll drop points to either Slovakia or Slovenia.

And with the exception of the last campaign - where their group was unbelievably easy - England have a habit of having at least dodgy result in qualifying.

Can guarantee it won't be against us, they'll drop points to either Slovakia or Slovenia.

Agree, this will be a much harder group for them (though they will know what to expect from Slovenia and Lithuania) but Roy has got them set up to do what it takes to win.

We will not have what it takes to win the group, so ultimately we are going to rely on a lot of England results going our way (our failure to get anything from Germany over two game was one of a number of things that came back to haunt us)

(our failure to get anything from Germany over two game was one of a number of things that came back to haunt us)

Disagree our failure to beat Georgia (a team who was already out) in an empty stadium was what fcuked us up!! I think like Ireland we would've took care of Bosnia in the playoff

Disagree our failure to beat Georgia (a team who was already out) in an empty stadium was what fcuked us up!! I think like Ireland we would've took care of Bosnia in the playoff

I think you are missing they point s bit, we lack the mental fortitude to pull off the results that Ireland did, we are a weak side and don't have the ability to win big. History shows that and that is why we are doomed to failure.

I think you are missing they point s bit, we lack the mental fortitude to pull off the results that Ireland did, we are a weak side and don't have the ability to win big. History shows that and that is why we are doomed to failure.

We wouldn't have got Bosnia, as Ireland were seeded.

Nope - we were not seeded - Bosnia were the seeded side .....along with hungary, ukraine and sweden

As for ye're next campaign - think ye have a decent chance of making the playoffs

Am I correct in saying GTR, Bosnia were highest ranked team in the playoffs?

Green_Tide_Rising, on 08 Dec 2015 - 11:52 PM, said:

As for ye're next campaign - think ye have a decent chance of making the playoffs

Have you forgotten how shite we were in Dublin? We've got worse since that game!

If Strachan doesn't realise that we need a bolder approach to away games then we'll struggle to finish 2nd place. He has to realise that one away win is worth more points than two away draws and not play the opponent, not the occasion. He shit it after seeing we were lucky to get away with a point in Warsaw after having a go at them and changed his approach in Dublin and Tbilisi. He played tor two points in these games and got one out of six when he should have been aiming for six.

Shit ting yourself isn't a strategy for success.

If he changes our away game strategy then I do think we can get to the play-off.

Don't know if the early Xmas drinks are clouding my judgement but I think we have got a chance albeit a very slim chance of making play-offs, England will win the group no doubt about that but if we can play like we did against Germany ( with tighter defence) I think we can take a point from them at hampden. We must win every other home game and take a minimum of 7/8 points from our away games or rely on other results. But I've got a horrible feeling already that Malta will be like Georgia last campaign and be out un-doing. But to answer the original question why would anyone follow the national team spending £1000's if you think we have no hope !!!!! As I said maybe the Xmas spirit kicking in early but got to have some hope to get through the next 9 months