Lack Of Songs - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lack Of Songs

Doric

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep right on to the end of the road? A Brummie favourite but Scottish in origin.

I'm on the fence with that one because I actually do like that song. It's very uplifting, I'll give it that.

But on the other hand, I despise everything that "Sir" Harry Lauder stood for.

Firstly, his entire act revolved around making Scotland a complete laughing stock and he became a very rich man out of it. He was a favourite of the Royal Family, a "pet Jock" long before Billy Connolly was even born !

Secondly, he never showed any remorse (unlike the arch-imperialist Rudyard Kipling) about his extensive efforts at recruiting young men to fight, die or be maimed in a pointless, imperialist war whilst he was safe in his cosy country mansion between 1914 and 1918.

Finally, Lauder also presented to the world an awful, negative image of Scotland and the Scots which was that we are all mean, drunk, miserable and small minded. Sadly that image has persisted to the present day and Harry Lauder was responsible for it.

Not that I'm qualified to suggest any potential songs though. You should see the state of my Spotify playlist. It's got Andy Williams, Camera Obscura, Chopin, the Carpenters, Beethoven, Deacon Blue, the Corries, Wagner, Electric Light Orchestra, the Proclaimers, Oasis and Debussy on it. I'm the last person you want to ask :-))

I'm on the fence with that one because I actually do like that song. It's very uplifting, I'll give it that.

Firstly, his entire act revolved around making Scotland a complete laughing stock and he became a very rich man out of it. He was a favourite of the Royal Family, a "pet Jock" long before Billy Connolly was even born !

Secondly, he never showed any remorse (unlike the arch-imperialist Rudyard Kipling) about his extensive efforts at recruiting young men to fight, die or be maimed in a pointless, imperialist war whilst he was safe in his cosy country mansion between 1914 and 1918.

Finally, Lauder also presented to the world an awful, negative image of Scotland and the Scots which was that we are all mean, drunk, miserable and small minded. Sadly that image has persisted to the present day and Harry Lauder was responsible for it.

Not that I'm qualified to suggest any potential songs though. You should see the state of my Spotify playlist. It's got Andy Williams, Camera Obscura, Chopin, the Carpenters, Beethoven, Deacon Blue, the Corries, Wagner, Electric Light Orchestra, the Proclaimers, Oasis and Debussy on it. I'm the last person you want to ask :-))

Wow! Mebbe stick wi doe a deer then, eh??!! Point taken re the Lauder Fellay but I like the song and Brum fans give it laldy every week and it could be tweaked to suit us. Hopefully we can come up with something new. Agree with original poster.

how good would it be if the next royalist pet wiz frankie Boyle

Thinking back to the old days standing at Hampden, the repertoire of songs was along the lines of:-

"Flower of Scotland" - still sung

"Que sera sera" - became obsolete when we stopped qualifying for stuff

"Here we go, here we go" - became obsolete in the 1980s

"We hate Jimmy Hill" - most of the crowd wouldn't know who he is now

"We f***in' hate England" - I'm happy that one's died a death

Thinking back to the old days standing at Hampden, the repertoire of songs was along the lines of:-

I would say the early to mid 90's were worse for songs at Scotland games than just now, when at Hampden you would just have the high pitched squeal of school kids giving it "SCOT-LAND.... SCOT-LAND....SCOT-LAND!"

To be clear Toepoke (IMO of course)....

We f***in hate England - Acceptable

If ye hate the f***in English - Unacceptable

Following on from my earlier post.

Why don't any of you TAMB members who harbour dreams of musical immortality, compose your own original Scotland song and post it on here for us to listen to ?

Come on, just give it a try ! Someone might just come up with a belter of a song that's suitable for games.

I'm sure there's a few folk on here that like to mess around with their guitar, drum kit, pipes, keyboard or who perhaps even play in a band with their mates and would be perfectly capable of producing something. Apply your imagination ! Even if it's not very good, at least you put the effort in and gave it your best shot which is the main thing.

I don't know anything about music so I won't be having a go at it myself but surely someone on here must have a scrap of talent for this sort of thing ?

Just keep in mind - no racism, sexism, homophobia or club references please. Keep it (reasonably) clean, positive and relevant to supporting the Scotland national team.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Shame we can not get anything like Rosenburg have

http://youtu.be/ryj9mXsIQes

If that happened in Scotland it would be slagged off.

Despite it being great too see. All over Europe their is player/fan interaction. Over here, no no. Just you sit down and applaud the team. Then leave at 80 minutes.

Following on from my earlier post.

Why don't any of you TAMB members who harbour dreams of musical immortality, compose your own original Scotland song and post it on here for us to listen to ?

Come on, just give it a try ! Someone might just come up with a belter of a song that's suitable for games.

I'm sure there's a few folk on here that like to mess around with their guitar, drum kit, pipes, keyboard or who perhaps even play in a band with their mates and would be perfectly capable of producing something. Apply your imagination ! Even if it's not very good, at least you put the effort in and gave it your best shot which is the main thing.

I don't know anything about music so I won't be having a go at it myself but surely someone on here must have a scrap of talent for this sort of thing.

Like that Rangers fan in his own living room with that bairn's keyboard! :-D

no long drawn out songs with cringey lyrics, bore the place to death, get a chant to something catchy and simple that gets the place going, like this from 30 seconds in, sounds ace when european club teams chant to it.

no more emotinal guff or cheesy chants please :-)

Barry Bannan v Lithuania is the last time I can remember the crowd singing a player's name in big numbers.

Tbh I'm not sure I can remember too many player songs going way back to the 80s. Did Kenny Dalglish even have a song about him?...

Edited by Toepoke

The Barry Bannan song was quite popular in Alicante I recall (until he fell asleep watching Jordi Alba get to bye line and cross for Silva to score) . Of course this one is a revamp of Christian Dailly song. Going back to 70s Joe Jordan and Jim Holton had chants that seem very corny by today's standard. Kenny Dalglish's name was chanted to a tune that I cannot describe.

Kenny, Kenny, Kenny Dalglish, Kenny- Kenny Dalglish. Original, eh?

I liked the suggestion of another poster in another thread about Jordan Rhodes using tune from 12 Years a Slave but he needs to play for it to be any good!

We definitely need something new IMO.