Russian Plane Crashed In Egypt - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Russian Plane Crashed In Egypt

I have issues with it being bomb without anyone actually willing to take "credit" for it. Who plants a bomb on a plane and then sits in silence? You expect some terrorist group to be all over it.

They claimed it was them 4 days ago

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/10/31/uk-egypt-crash-islamic-state-idUKKCN0SP0P320151031

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Security at Egyptian airports is a shambles, I have been travelling to Egypt off and on for 20 years and since they had there "Arab spring" the security at the airport in Cairo was close to zero.

During my last visit, earlier this year, i got to the first part of security and the guy who manned the machine was more interested in getting me through first so he could get a few extra Egyptian pounds as a tip, he and no one else was looking at the scanner screen.

You then book in for your flight and go through passport control, the next piece of security is when you go to the room where your gate is, again there is a scanner to put your baggage through, when i got the other side i looked back and the screen was either broken or switched off.

So there i am sitting on a BA flight back to London and security of my luggage was zero, I was talking to one of the hostess's and she said "we get a lot of complaints about security here and BA were thinking of putting in there own security team in place" - at this time we were travelling at 35000 feet over the med, not a lot of help if a budding young Osama wants flick the switch !!!!!

So I would not be surprised if this plane had a bomb on board as it would be so easy to do.

Went around a decade ago and enjoyed it although never felt totally at ease, especially at this location..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxor_massacre

In the main it was a friendly place although you could tell security was tight especially at the hotel (the guys at the front door had a frightening arsenal at their disposal!)

There were Russians everywhere too, it's clearly a favourite place for them to escape the winter.

It's that whole uneasiness that puts me off. I go on holiday to relax.

I did my dissertation at Uni on the impact of terrorism on tourism.

Knowing too much has definitely impacted my choices on where I go on holiday.

And since I had kids, my propensity to take risks has dropped to zero.

J

Have to hand it to Cameron: yesterday's Cobra meeting decides to strand thousands of UK citizens in Egypt. Todays Cobra meeting: how do we extract all these people we have stranded in Egypt.

Total over reaction, Sharm must be the safest airport in the world right now with the attention the Egyptian gov and security forces will be giving it.

What puzzles me if it was a bomb why go to all the trouble of putting it on a plane when they could have stuck it in a hotel

I would say blowing a plane out the sky is far more effective at:

1. Making a statement

2. Causing terror.

Loads of folk are already worried about flying, more so to/from hotspots. By blowing a plane out the air IS have demonstrated a new level of ability, causing increased terror.

Any Tom Dick or Mohammed can blow up or attack a hotel, very few attacks on airliners actually succeed.

I would say blowing a plane out the sky is far more effective at:

1. Making a statement

2. Causing terror.

Loads of folk are already worried about flying, more so to/from hotspots. By blowing a plane out the air IS have demonstrated a new level of ability, causing increased terror.

Any Tom Dick or Mohammed can blow up or attack a hotel, very few attacks on airliners actually succeed.

understand what your saying but there would be no disputing blowing up a hotel and I realise it's still all speculation

What puzzles me if it was a bomb why go to all the trouble of putting it on a plane when they could have stuck it in a hotel

In spite of the fear level generated by rolling news coverage and puffed up consistently by the government I think the number of genuine terror cells/lone wolf types under direction is actually very low, therefore it may be they used Jihadi Jeff at the airport because he worked at the airport. Jeff could have put his bomb anywhere at the airport but on a plane gets more buzz and sends a neat message to Putin at the same time.

If they had a network of sympathisers across hotels in Egypt able and ready to plant bombs or run around shooting people they would have done it by now.

Same as if there is such a high level of threat in the UK that we are all in imminent danger then why aren't terrorists putting bombs on trains and running amok in shopping centres, attacks like that take very little training, resources or teamwork and by and large cannot be stopped.

I do believe the government is doing a good job of rounding up fantasists and passing their delusions off as real threats, but the number of capable individuals who could be considered a threat to the UK and living in the UK is so low as to be negligible, much lower than the Republican threat in the 1970s and 80s.

Total over reaction, Sharm must be the safest airport in the world right now with the attention the Egyptian gov and security forces will be giving it.

Not so sure about this...... I visited Hatshepsuts Temple in Luxor a few years after the 1997 Terrorist attack. They had installed scanners to check for weapons in bags etc but upon noticing everyone walking through and the alarm never sounding, I asked my guide if they were working, he replied 'Of course not cos they're not plugged in' I've never truly trusted Egyptian 'Security' since that moment.

Yeah if it's a missle just say a stinger it would travel that 1000 feet (300 odd metres) in less than a second.

The things less than 3 inches across and a metre and a half long. travelling at 320 m/s.

the Pilot saw it and dodged it in a passenger jet though.

Edited by phart