Hampden, Parkhead Or Ibrox? - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hampden, Parkhead Or Ibrox?

Dunty

Dunno. Sounds like they're clamping down on parking around Hampden. Heard large parts of Kings Park are off limits these days with parking tickets dished out at Poland game.

Really? Surprised at that. Maybe it's changed since I lived on Carmunnock Road (great days, 10 minutes from front door to turnstile :lol: ) but it used to be a feckin nightmare with not a polis or traffic warden in sight.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wembley's pretty easy to get to if you know what you're doing, getting away afterwards can be a nightmare unless you leg it right on full time.

Been to Wembley 4 times and never had an issue getting away after a game, without legging it right on full time. Jubilee or metropolitan line back into central London piece of piss

You're allowed 2 for a Euros, we wanted to use 3 in Glasgow though.

(From memory)

This was cited as the major flaw in our bid which really makes (even more of) a farce of Qatar being awarded the World Cup given it is smaller than Glasgow and hosting the entire tournament.

This was cited as the major flaw in our bid which really makes (even more of) a farce of Qatar being awarded the World Cup given it is smaller than Glasgow and hosting the entire tournament.

Aye but we didn't have the foresight to bribe the fifa members and tell a pack of lies in our bid. Lesson learned.

Aye but we didn't have the foresight to bribe the fifa members and tell a pack of lies in our bid. Lesson learned.

We didn't even have the foresight to bid on our own instead of the clear desperation we displayed by teaming up with the Irish.

May as well have teamed up with the Faroe Islands.

Thanks Mr McConnell.... Plum.

Doesn't say much for Edinburgh or Aberdeen then when Glasgow actually believed Scotland could be an independent country and they shat it.

Not at all. We just have bigger and better university's which were at the time infiltrated with English freshers right at the start of the new term

I'm not sure how Hampden could be upgraded.

The North Stand can't be expanded upon due to the proximity of the houses.

Bringing the ends closer to the pitch would seriously reduce the capacity.

The old favourite suggestion of lowering the pitch was ruled out on here for drainage reasons IIRC.

It would be perfect for introducing safe standing areas though, which could increase the capacity slightly ...

Edited by Toepoke

The old favourite suggestion of lowering the pitch was ruled out on here for drainage reasons IIRC.

It would be perfect for introducing safe standing areas though, which could increase the capacity slightly ...

dae we really need tae increase the capacity? Think 52k is plenty barring 1 maybe 2 games every 2 years

dae we really need tae increase the capacity? Think 52k is plenty barring 1 maybe 2 games every 2 years

This. And there's surely plenty of room. With modern architecture, you could probably build a decent stand in the space directly behind the goals and reduce overall footprint. In order to continue to attract top-level UEFA fixtures something probably has to be done, and we might have to push capacity to around 60K. In terms of potentially attracting to high-profile domestic finals, I also can't see how the view from behind goals would be tolerated by UEFA for much longer either.

Actually, when I think about it, because of the curve, there's probably a lot more people behind the goals than would normally be meaning like-for-like capacity would require quite big stands.

Actually, when I think about it, because of the curve, there's probably a lot more people behind the goals than would normally be meaning like-for-like capacity would require quite big stands.

That's kind of what I was getting at with the previous post. The East and West stands have approximately the same capacity as the Jock Stein and Lisbon Lions stands at Parkhead.

Building such huge stands behind the goals at Hampden would look pretty incongruous. (Might struggle to get local planning permission too?)...

This. And there's surely plenty of room. With modern architecture, you could probably build a decent stand in the space directly behind the goals and reduce overall footprint. In order to continue to attract top-level UEFA fixtures something probably has to be done, and we might have to push capacity to around 60K. In terms of potentially attracting to high-profile domestic finals, I also can't see how the view from behind goals would be tolerated by UEFA for much longer either.

Chelsea are planning to flatten and completely rebuild Stamford Bridge to increase capacity from 42,000 to 60,000.

This will be on the same footprint as the current ground which is considerably smaller and more constrained than Hampden.

Obviously Chelsea are a commercial organisation and have a billionaire owner prepared to fund the redevelopment.

I can't see where the money would come for a redevelopment of Hampden or indeed building a new national stadium elsewhere.

Far more important projects for infrastructure spending in Scotland.

The North, West and East stands are also very shallow so if they were flattened and proper stands built in their place then you probably wouldn't go as far back as is currently the case...

For the commonwealth games we were offered a bit of work for the upgrades at Hampden, so got to know a few people who were involved behind the scenes.

In terms of upgrade there is VERY little that can be done (one guy said to me that it was a project where they had to work with both hands tied behind their back, as when they would propose one idea, there was a bit of legislation that would knock it back straight away), and even the extension to the north stand was held back by a number of months because the locals kick off about it.

Hampden in its current form is just about as big as it can be (in the late 00's while we had the success of the Euro 2008 campaign Gordon Smith commissioned a report to investigate how to make Hampden bigger and findings where not all that encouraging.... even further back, in the 1990's Hampden in its current form is not even the complete project, as there was even a proposal in the original plans for a retractable roof)) with the only option to demolish the whole stadium and rebuild it more centrally on the footprint of the land that it in on (ie do away with the car park), but this will cost money and unless we get a money spinning tournament like a World Cup or Olympic Games, it is a complete non-starter.

Edited by wanderer