Hampden, Parkhead Or Ibrox? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hampden, Parkhead Or Ibrox?

Dunty

In years gone past when you had football specials why do scotrail not bring them back

They do put extra long trains on when there's a game on so there is some attempt to accommodate fans.

Never had too much problem getting back into town myself but I always avoid Mt Florida. Try Cathcart, Kings Park, Crosshill, Queens Park, Pollokshields East, Pollokshields West, Crossmyloof, Langside or Pollokshaws East. All within walking distance.

Another tip is to catch a Cathcart Circle train before it gets to Mt Florida, even if it's going the wrong way it'll by definition take you back to Central in just a wee bit more time...

Edited by Toepoke

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on ticket prices we could play our next campaign at McDermit park. Smack bang right in the middle of Scotland. Perfect for everyone!

The centre of Scotland is not Perth it is Newtonmore

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_of_Scotland

This demonstartes why you'd have to weight it for population size. Aberdeen is fishing village on steroids so it has no pull and even Edinburgh is a tiny (shitholeofa ) place relative to Glasgow, City of the Gods.

Perfect that's where we'll build our brand new, state of the art 35,000 stadium... at loch Garry in between dalwhinnie and blairathol... it's right next to the A9 and a railway station so it's perfect!! And to make it look even better we'll build a statue of the famous tartan army outside the Dennis Law stand....

If we were to build a new stadium from scratch and move it from Glasgow, it still has to be in a city big enough to host it.

People who suggest Perth/Stirling (I'm not having a go at the poster above as I suspect he posted it in jest) don't take into account what a nightmare that would be. 50,000 fans descending on a small town - the train station is tiny, the roads within the town couldn't cope with the traffic, there's not even close to enough hotels to accommodate a sizeable away support and home fans who wished to stay overnight - which means you may have 5,000 England fans descending on the same tiny train station as Scotland fans.

If you built the ground in the centre of town the roads would be blocked for hours getting home, and if built on the outskirts then you're going to need a hell of a car park or work out how to shuttle the thousands arriving by train.

Ideally, it'd be in Dundee. It's a big enough city to cope (with the potential to grow further), it's fairly central which is handy for midweek games plus doubling up as a semi-final/final venue. It at least has an airport, albeit small. Can't actually remember how big the train station is.

But, how would we fund a new ground? The SFA don't own Hampden so can't raise money by selling that, and I would doubt that the Scottish government would offer to pay for it rather than plough money into the NHS which would probably lose them voters.

More likely, we'll redevelop Hampden on the cheap. Knock the two stands down behind the goal, hopefully build them similar to the "yellow wall" at Dortmund, and that'll be us.

Or, someone get Donald Trump in a good mood and maybe he'll build one for us.

Aye, imagine the joys of an Old Firm cup final in Perth!

Are there any examples of a 50,000 plus capacity stadium (in particular a national stadium) not in the environs of a major city? Genuine question...

Only one that really sticks out (granted not a national stadium) is Hoffenheim..... town has a population of 3,000 while the stadium holds 30,000......

Its not in Hoffenheim

Is it not one large town effectively made up of a cluster of villages, so even though Hoffienhiem has a population of 3,000... the area itself is 30,000 when you add in all the villages that make up the town itself?

They do put extra long trains on when there's a game on so there is some attempt to accommodate fans.

Never had too much problem getting back into town myself but I always avoid Mt Florida. Try Cathcart, Kings Park, Crosshill, Queens Park, Pollokshields East, Pollokshields West, Crossmyloof, Langside or Pollokshaws East. All within walking distance.

Another tip is to catch a Cathcart Circle train before it gets to Mt Florida, even if it's going the wrong way it'll by definition take you back to Central in just a wee bit more time...

^^^

I've posted the same several times on here - absolutely no need to join the massive queue at Mt. Florida.

Edited by Charlie Endell

:blink: It's virtually in Paris.

Would be like us building a national stadium in Paisley!

It was the best I could think of.

Pretty sure it's only "in" St Dennis because France weren't allowed to use 2 Parisian Stadiums for the World Cup.

Might be bollocks though.

Pretty sure it's only "in" St Dennis because France weren't allowed to use 2 Parisian Stadiums for the World Cup.

Might be bollocks though.

No I think that's true. One reason we were on to plums with the Euro 2008 bid.

Should've listed the main host cities as being Parkhead, Govan and Mount Florida...

Edited by Toepoke

Is it not one large town effectively made up of a cluster of villages, so even though Hoffienhiem has a population of 3,000... the area itself is 30,000 when you add in all the villages that make up the town itself?

Its in Sinsheim which has a population of 35,000.

No I think that's true. One reason we were on to plums with the Euro 2008 bid.

Should've listed the main host cities as being Parkhead, Govan and Mount Florida...

Euro 2004 used two stadiums in both Lisbon and Porto.

Naw Edinburgh is one of those rubbish and surprising capitals like Canberra. They only got the gig as consolation for being second to Glasgow in all the important aspects. Not as rubbish as Aberdeen I'll grant you but that is no big achievement.

Ideally it would be in Scotland's capital city Edinburgh

Maybe the SRU & SFA could come to an agreement to use Murrayfield on rare occasions when over 52,000 seats are needed?

Although the question remains would games that would pull a 67,000 crowd in Glasgow do the same in Edinburgh?...

Edited by Toepoke