Match Thread - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match Thread

northernscum

Yes I am gutted. Although to be fair Poland deserved the draw tonight as they carried a menace. We did well overall and there were positives. Forrest looked threatening, Ritchie offers something different and Steven Fletcher scored a goal!

Feel sorry for Darren Fletcher as I feel that's his last chance.

Congrats to ROI and Northern Ireland this evening.

Forrest produced his best performance so far in a Scotland shirt tonight.

Ritchie and Fletcher both scored brilliant goals - fit to win any game of football. It's such a shame that they turned out to be ultimately meaningless. :(

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No i do get your point and for years i thought the same as you

I am lucky enough to have been to Italia 90, Sweden 92, England 96 and France 98 so not realising we werent good enough and blaming managers took a long time for me to accept

Strachan got it wrong in Dublin - it was like a throwback to Levein - so yes with players of limited ability it's crucial that the manager picks the right team and gets the tactics right

But our manager can still pick the right team and tactics and it can still fail due to our mediocre players employed to carry them out.

Good players can mask a managers mistakes - mediocre players will highlight them

Ive said this more than 30 times since i joined this board and i'll say it again

We have not produced a World Class player in my lifetime

Republic and N Ireland dont have a World Class player between them and both over achieved much more than Scotland have.

Many teams have over achieved.

Even If it was all about squad strength we would be as well not having a manager if it makes no difference.

There's a certain brittleness about this Scotland team. Even at 2-1 I just had a feeling it wouldn't be enough.

On the other hand, the Irelands, while not great teams either, fight like lions right up to the last kick of the ball. Just look at Northern Ireland's previous game: getting beat 2-1 at home and down to 10 men yet they equalise in the last minute of injury time. Fair play to them in qualifying - they've earned it.

Always thought your reasonable comments were a credit to yourself fanatyk, but with your "ahahaha" addition earlier in this thread you have, in my opinion, simply proved you're an arsehole. Thanks for the confirmation.

We would be doing the exact same

There's a reason why players don't get to choose who the manager is.

Who do you suggest as a replacement for Strachan ?

McLeish has already been mentioned.

Why ?

Did he get us to a tournament....

WGS a few games ago was a God to people, but a few mistakes have been made and we HAVE to learn from this campaign.

I think he is still the best candidate to take us forward but I am also absolutely gutted at how this has ended.

Lots of changes with the players will happen.

We have a standard of player more than capable of getting at least into third place.

The standard of player is not the problem with that.

Plenty of teams over achieve, Scotland never can. Cant even do whats expected.

We overachieved for years ffs

Always thought your reasonable comments were a credit to yourself fanatyk, but with your "ahahaha" addition earlier in this thread you have, in my opinion, simply proved you're an arsehole. Thanks for the confirmation.

Unnecessary I admit and not very smart and a bit disrespectful for you as It`s a very tough night for you. And I apologise to anybody here that took it as an insult. Didnae meant to do that. I was through such emotional rollercoaster tonight and that was simply only thing that could go from my keyboard at this time. My wife and the dog moved to another room for the last 30 mins ;) Can`t blame them.

I am lucky enough to have been to Italia 90, Sweden 92, England 96 and France 98 so not realising we werent good enough and blaming managers took a long time for me to accept

Strachan got it wrong in Dublin - it was like a throwback to Levein - so yes with players of limited ability it's crucial that the manager picks the right team and gets the tactics right

My apologies for selective quoting - this reflects my own experience and feelings about this campaign entirely.

Its a bit catch 22 for Strachan, its hard to say the team isn't better now than under levein (2 points from 4 bleeding games from him btw) but we've failed, I just don't think that the players we have are actually good enough.

Strachan or no Strachan.

The problem is we look at other teams (whose players are no better than ours) that have got results in this group when we haven't eg RoI beating Georgia away let alone taking four points off Germany. Its obviously not either/or though, we could do better performing as a team and a world class superstar would help as well. The former may be more do-able in the short term.

Edited by Hertsscot

No it's not.

You said what you meant and I understand it.

I just disagreed.

Talking of banter...knock knock ?

I said we would have done the same - the boy just celebrated his team scoring (qualifying)- he never made derogatory comments

We shouldnt be so precious !

Who's there ?

Thanks Ally. As I said I didn`t mean to disprespect anybody here.

Emotions guys.

I bet you are always calm,

And I cannot find quotes like this on this forum:

"Here to fix the toilets your only here to fix the toilets. Class sing"

Right?

What a pile of pish.

You make your own luck in this game and we've not been good enough.

Dublin? Shat it.

Tbilisi? Didn't turn up.

Dortmund? Couldn't defend properly.

Above all, there's a reason Poland and Ireland took points off Germany and we didn't.

They believed.

Obviously not watched the highlights of the Ireland game yet.....haha

They got very lucky. As per usual we got not one break as Strachan said in his interview.

Are we good enough, no of course not but by God we really don't get much of a helping hand.

Thanks Ally. As I said I didn`t mean to disprespect anybody here.

Emotions guys.

I bet you are always calm,

And I cannot find quotes like this on this forum:

"Here to fix the toilets your only here to fix the toilets. Class sing"

Right?

Like Ally said...

Banter :(

Obviously not watched the highlights of the Ireland game yet.....haha

They got very lucky. As per usual we got not one break as Strachan said in his interview.

Are we good enough, no of course not but by God we really don't get much of a helping hand.

Got four points from deflected goals.

It is excuses.

If Ireland was lucky tonight then it was nothing but luck that Scotland beat the likes of France twice and Holland.

Interestingly football pundits in polish TV after game said that Scotland played better football tonight.

I don`t agree with that though. I think it was very even game with good and bad spells for both team, at the end we deserved the point even if it was gained in last second..

Two things caused the relatively early Scottish exit: Georgia away and Ireland win over Germany tonight. Both unexpected and both having huge impact on the table.

Interestingly football pundits in polish TV after game said that Scotland played better football tonight.

I don`t agree with that though. I think it was very even game with good and bad spells for both team, at the end we deserved the point even if it was gained in last second..

Two things caused the relatively early Scottish exit: Georgia away and Ireland win over Germany tonight. Both unexpected and both having huge impact on the table.

Now that is a decent post :ok:

Sorry for being a wee bit nippy earlier, emotions take over.

Still stand by wanting the Irish to beat you.

No disrespect :ok:

Edited by jock strap

Scotland.

Cos it seems like every other nation is playing in a tournament we couldn't get to.......AGAIN !!!!!

The only consolation is that there is no chance of us being humilated at the finals ..........