Match Thread - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match Thread

northernscum

Worse than Belgium when we drew 2-2. Probably the most dejected I have felt watching Scotland.For most of the game our defence was very shaky. We lack the ability to pass a ball 10 yards and the big punt gives away possession immediately. Does anyone have the answer to the utter failure of the national team? I doubt it.

Seems to me that our defence has always been shaky. I am talking as far back as 70s. Miller and Mcleish probably the most secure partnership. Alan hansen used to send shivers down my spine - f**king aboot on the edge of the box when he should have been clearing it. Every time I watch Scotland my heart is in my mouth and fingers are bitten to the quick - we always seem to suffer from 'defensive frailties'. We haven't got the players am afraid. These are the best we have IMO so all we can do is support them and hope for the best.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Investing yourself emotionally in Scotland is now completely senseless. It's the same shit different campaign time after time after time. A combination at times of plucky but not good enough, decent but unlucky and promising but incapable of consistency. We have nobody to blame but ourselves but just for once it would be nice if we had got a break like the Germans actually bothering their arse throughout the entire campaign. The hold thing is torturous and yet frankly you can almost predict that by October 2017 we will find ourself making exactly the same comments.

Edited by Hendricks

I thought S Fletcher had a good game. Held the ball up well, showed some good touches, won most things in air and ground and topped it off with a great finish. Should have scored with the header though. Forrest had his best game in a Scotland shirt - that doesn't mean it was a good enough performance though. It wasn't. He isn't good enough. He takes the cheap option every time and defensively passes the buck. Those claiming he set up the goal are mentalists, those claiming he had a good game are too easily pleased by 5 yard passes in the last third where there are opportunities to punish - he doesn't take any responsibility.

My thoughts below.

Marshall - some good stops but should have done better for first goal (6)

Hutton - Bombs forward, gives his all but is pretty clueless, very poor defensively (4)

Whittaker - should never have been played a left back. Actually think he did ok in spells but on the wrong side of the pitch (5)

Hanley - I always think you don't notice a good centre half, unfortunately, I noticed Hanley all too often, slow (5)

Martin - Thought he did ok but always exposed for pace (6)

Brown - just not the player he was, still put in a shift and did ok (6)

D Fletcher - legs have gone, really like him, but as above with Brown, (6)

Forrest - manages to deceive by doing the simple (cheap) thing every time (not what you're looking for in last third) and got lucky with the ball inside for Ritchie, ineffective (5)

Ritchie - probably not the answer but worked pretty hard and scored a cracker (6)

Naismith - continually gave away fouls and just didn't contribute positively - off the pace (5)

S Fletcher - held the ball up well, won headers, showed some nice touches and scored a good goal (7)

All about opinions though.....