Match Thread - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match Thread

northernscum

Can't say I'm all that gutted. Think Georgia and then Germany broke any hope it had.

The world champions broke your hope ?

I'm proud of the way we played against them in both matches.

I can't say the same for other games.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the squad N Ireland has!

Look ar Republic squad.

Both are weaker and did far better than Scotland.

Sick of hearing Strachan go on about how mediocre the players are. Give them some belief and go out and win games. Being closer to Georgia than Republic in the group is a joke.

Look at the group N Ireland had

Republic of Ireland stuck to their defend and long ball game

We tried to play expansive and we dont have the players to do that well

Do you want to go back to playing like ROI ?

Josh Magennis put through N Ireland tonight as they beat Greece.

Republic of Ireland dont have better players than Scotland but are seven points ahead.

This 'shit players' argument wears thin.

Agreed, we haven't got the calibre of the player we once had but N.Ireland are through and we would expect to beat them 6 or 7 times out of ten, RoI are likely through and we've taken 4 points of them. Wales are likely through they have a superstar in Bale but apart from Ramsey and Williams I'm not sure that any of their palyers would get into our team. I don't want for one moment to disparage the achivements of those other teams but we should have done better with players at our disposal.

The world champions broke your hope ?

I'm proud of the way we played against them in both matches.

I can't say the same for other games.

We tried at hampden but the gulf in class was massive. I felt a lot of things leaving that night but pride wasn't one of them.

I guess I just knew then we were out

Yes, if it helps us qualify. It's the type of football most of our lot play every week.

Mediocre players.

Two Eng Championship players.

Two Scottish based players.

The other 7 starters are all EPL, Whitaker played in a UEFA Cup Final. Hutton has won an Eng League Cup and played in FA Cup final. MacArthur & Naismith are playing for teams in the top half of that league. How much better do we expect our pool to be ?

Absolutely I would take playing like that if it means getting third.

N Ireland beat Greece who are a better side than anything Scotland beat.

Anyone else want to revisit the opinion that a draw in Dublin was a good result?

The Georgia game cost us everything. All we needed to do at the start of the group was not let our 2 rivals Ireland or Poland get more points out of our 2 double headers against them, than we got. And we actually succeeded in that!

It was the 'freak' results elsewhere that cost us.

Absolutely I would take playing like that if it means getting third.

N Ireland beat Greece who are a better side than anything Scotland beat.

I think you are judging Greece by their standards of a few years ago

They got beat at home by the Faroes so if you are going to make wild statements then at least dont make them as daft by saying Greece are better than Ireland or even Georgia

We tried at hampden but the gulf in class was massive. I felt a lot of things leaving that night but pride wasn't one of them.

I guess I just knew then we were out

The fact they were a World Champions of a tournament we couldn't even qualify for days it all to me.

I know what your saying, but we have ballsed it up against teams we should have played to our minor strengths but got it so so wrong.

Georgia away and in a way, RoI were massive ups.

We started with a bang but end with a whimper.

We are now accustomed to this and fear we won't change for the foreseeable.

Apologies for the negativity, but I am absolutely gutted.

Scotland is a loser nation with a loser mentality. It's not our fault, it's bred into us. But in all aspects of life from politics (referendum) to sport, we're shown time and again to be bottle merchants. Can't say it's not consistent!

Riiiiiiight... and would you be saying any of that if poland's last kick of the game hadn't went in and we were currently confirmed 3rd place?

I think you are judging Greece by their standards of a few years ago

They got beat at home by the Faroes so if you are going to make wild statements then at least dont make them as daft by saying Greece are better than Ireland or even Georgia

N Ireland managed to find a way to get on top of a group that contained Greece, Romania and Hungary.

Scotland finished above Georgia.

Ireland did it with a far, far inferior squad.

What they have done puts Scotland to shame.

Riiiiiiight... and would you be saying any of that if poland's last kick of the game hadn't went in and we were currently confirmed 3rd place?

We wouldn't have been confirmed 3rd place though.

It's something I've said many times before. It tends to come out when I'm feeling particularly bitter.

We wouldn't have been confirmed 3rd place though.

It's something I've said many times before. It tends to come out when I'm feeling particularly bitter.

Ah shit! I honestly thought Germany equalised, going by the comments on here. It was a dark 10 mins after the game - I had to switch everything off and go out for a walk.

Probably the poorest squad we've ever had, but you can't say they didn't put in a shift and deserve to win tonight.

Georgia is the obvious tripping point, but the fact is that both Poland and Ireland won against Germany. We didn't.

Germany seem shit scared to play against Ireland's hoofball. But Ireland took 4 points from them...we had the chance to do the same, but didn't.

You know what we need? A sports psychologist to change our mentality. It is not bred into us this loser instinct. The odds were against us at Bannockburn. Go now WGS. We dont have the players to play the way you want to.

If anything, Strachan needs to stay and have more input into youth development.

N Ireland managed to find a way to get on top of a group that contained Greece, Romania and Hungary.

Scotland finished above Georgia.

Ireland did it with a far, far inferior squad.

What they have done puts Scotland to shame.

Honestly - go and look at each of Greece, Romania and Hungary's results on Soccerway. You can go as far back as you can starting from today

Big nations yes - but not the top class footballing nations of yesteryear

Poland are streets ahead of all 3

And clearly Ireland do not have an inferior squad - you are deluding yourself if you think that

The shame is the state of the Scottish National game and the players we produce