Jock Stein - 30 Years Ago - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jock Stein - 30 Years Ago

daviebee

Yeah - terrible night. What a great man.

Remember getting very close to team bus in Seville before Brazil match in 82 WC. Big Jock smiling! Narey scored early and then a Brazilian lifted ball over Kenny dalglish I think it was and went roond him. Vividly remember the familiar disappointment of the USSR game and not getting through the group. Didnae think we would get to this place where we struggle to get to finals.

I was there it was my first ever away game on football special from Waverley Station.....herded back on to the train straight after the game and knew nothing of it until a newspaper seller showed is on the platform on our return.....no mobiles back then to get the news.....

Was there. Bitter sweet night and surreal! Believe it or not before the match the Welsh only had 1 ball in their prematch warmup!!!!

One of their players ballooned it over the bar and into the Scottish crowd behind the goal. The Welsh players were pleading for the ball to be returned and of course didn't get it back. In the end Jock Stein was called upon & he came over to the crowd & with some arm waving and remonstrating managed to get their ball returned.......

Stein never forgot his coal miners roots either.

According to Alex Ferguson, at the time of the miner's strike, Stein stopped the team bus alongside a picketline and forced everyone on the team bus to contribute a large wad of cash to the miners collection bucket. The arch-Tories, Sounness and Provan, must have been raging :-))

He was seemingly going to retire after the 1986 World Cup too. Very sad he never got to enjoy his well deserved retirement.

Stein never forgot his coal miners roots either.

According to Alex Ferguson, at the time of the miner's strike, Stein stopped the team bus alongside a picketline and forced everyone on the team bus to contribute a large wad of cash to the miners collection bucket. The arch-Tories, Sounness and Provan, must have been raging :-))

He was seemingly going to retire after the 1986 World Cup too. Very sad he never got to enjoy his well deserved retirement.

didnae ken that knew where his heart wiz but never knew he made them dae that brilliant

Remember the sheer joy of myself and my old man nearly taking our living room apart at Cooper's penalty putting us on the brink of Mexico to the sheer disbelief at my mother coming up to my room after the game to tell me gently that one of my all time heroes was dead. For a then 11 year old it was totally surreal. God knows what it must have been like for the fans who were there in Cardiff.

RIP Big Man. Never forgotten.

yes was there ,stay in barry island holiday camp

sad night back in the holiday camp .

I pumped a fat barmaid there the night after Wales thumped us with Burley in charge. She worked in that Kitty Flynns on Cardiff main street. She looked like Nessa from Gavin And Stacey.