Will We Do It? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Will We Do It?

Dillinger

Thank feck I never had to share a trench with you lot !

if you looked at the group from day 1, Poland away bonus point,Ireland away bonus point,Germany away robbed of 1 point,Georgia point dropped.

I have been following Scotland for long enough to have seen some horrendous results including France 5-0,Holland 6-0.Sweden 4-0,Belgium 3-0,feckin Wales 3-0 and 4-0 then again they are the 9th best team in the world !

Unfortunately that's football,Germany will be the next world champions to get turned over at Hampden

Alba gu brath.

This is the attitude that sees us not qualify. We shouldn't be winning any games away from home? Just pick up draws at best. Edited by iainmac1

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lookin at the sides in 3Rd spot in the other groups.I don't know if u would fancy us against any of them on current form.it's hard to see it at this moment tbh.

Cheers lads, the last page or so of this thread has lifted my spirits a wee bit and is making me think that all is not lost just yet!

I will be travelling down tomorrow with no real expectation of any kind of result, but the VERY LEAST I expect from the team is that they give absolutely everything they have and leave the Germans knowing they have been in a real match.

I would assume the players are well aware of the level of disgust at Fridays performance, even though we get the usual post match platitudes from the manager and captain. So full on commitment is the least we should be getting. And then......well, you just never know :guitar:

The result on Friday robbed us of any hopes of automatic qualifications. Playoff still very realistic- on our day we could beat Poland at home and I'm not convinced Ireland beating Georgia is nailed on. A playoff is still in our hands but would have to raise our game considerably.

The result on Friday robbed us of any hopes of automatic qualifications. Playoff still very realistic- on our day we could beat Poland at home and I'm not convinced Ireland beating Georgia is nailed on. A playoff is still in our hands but would have to raise our game considerably.

Thing is I can't see us getting through a playoff. The draw would have to be mega kind to us, and even then we would still bottle it.

We need to get mean, focused, determined and clinical with a sense of urgency and purpose.

And IMHO at this stage its up to WGS and senior players to front up.

J

Aye, if Ireland don't beat Georgia then we might only have to beat Gibraltar to get 3rd place as Ireland would have to take something from their remaining games, fcuk knows how many times I have looked at table,

We will do it,

I remember the days when we qualified and remember we always had a kind result from minnows in the campaign against our direct rivals. This has not happened at all in this group so maybe we are due one. Our last realistic slim hope of any favour is Georgia tomorrow.

Examples Denmark drawing wi Czechs 74 campaign. Wales drawing w Czechs 78 campaign. Only 3 teams in group then. It only took 1 slip up. Israel did a lot of damage to Sweden and Portugal 82 qualifying. Iceland beating Wales 86. Cyprus and Norway taking pts off France 90. austria beating Sweden twice 98.

Edited by Doric

Examples Denmark drawing wi Czechs 74 campaign. Wales drawing w Czechs 78 campaign. Only 3 teams in group then. It only took 1 slip up. Israel did a lot of damage to Sweden and Portugal 82 qualifying

Did think that but really can't see it as RoI (ironically apart from against us) have found the goal when they needed it against Poland, Georgia and Germany - they have the momentum so can't see them slipping up.

Did think that but really can't see it as RoI (ironically apart from against us) have found the goal when they needed it against Poland, Georgia and Germany - they have the momentum so can't see them slipping up.

Yes we have had no favours at all this campaign. I remember Bulgaria dumping Romania in last game away from home to qualify in 92. We never even played that night. Huge surprise that was. Last one Finand beating Greece 96 every group we got a wee favour

Edited by Doric

It's Friday's performance rather than the result that's knocked my confidence.

If we'd lost having created chances but not taken them I'd be a lot more "up" for the Germany game than I am at the moment.

The only thing I can use for optimism is that Friday was a "blip" and that we will actually force the German keeper to make a save on Monday.

Yes we have had no favours at all this campaign. I remember Bulgaria dumping Romania in last game away from home to qualify in 92. We never even played that night. Huge surprise that was. Last one Finand beating Greece 96 every group we got a wee favour

True - we haven't had any favours the last few campaigns... Maybe this is our time - lets hope we don't shyte ourselves if it happens

Ultimately it will come down to ye beating Poland.

While I can't be certain. ..I do expect us to beat Georgia tomorrow.

I expect germany, provided they turn up in any sort of form....that they will dispatch both ireland and Scotland without breaking too much sweat.

While Poland have been better than I originally thought they would be....I do believe if Lewandowski can be kept quiet that both ireland and Scotland can get points off them.

Ironically despite my many issues with o neill as our manager and his tactics....I do actually think they mite work for us away to Poland and I do think we will get something over there.

Equally if we both beat Poland ...both ireland and Scotland will qualify for 2nd and 3rd places ...I think.

Ireland and Scotland are solid teams....but have severe limitations due to too many average players and been left behind in terms of technical ability .....if lucky....we cud get an easy draw in the playoffs. ..but even if we qualified. ...I cud not see either of us going any further sadly.

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Na blown it....unless somehow Georgia and Scotland both win and pigs fly!! It's not out the realms of possibility for Georgia and ourselves to both sneak draws tomorrow but even thats in the same hope one has for winning the lottery. Will keep supporting and remain upbeat the now :(

Just an observation on Poland that instills a modicum of hope for that match. They play an open game and whilst they score lots they also concede a few as well. So there is glimpses their defence is susceptible.

Aye, Poland's central defence is as bad if not worse than ours. Could be a high scoring game. If only we had a decent striker.

Examples Denmark drawing wi Czechs 74 campaign. Wales drawing w Czechs 78 campaign. Only 3 teams in group then. It only took 1 slip up. Israel did a lot of damage to Sweden and Portugal 82 qualifying. Iceland beating Wales 86. Cyprus and Norway taking pts off France 90. austria beating Sweden twice 98.

Wales beat Czechoslovakia 3-0. Wales were a very good side at that time and that was a very tough group.