Islam Feruz - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Islam Feruz

iainmac1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon we will all have a pretty good idea by Christmas if he is up for the challenge or not. I don't think Stubbs would be the kind of manager who will let over inflated egos cause a problem in the dressing room, so I reckon wee Feruz either knuckles right down or it could be a short lived experiment for the Hibbies.

Heard that myself. Didn't paint a good picture of him that's for sure. Seems a few folk within the SFA youth ranks thought the sun shone out his backside. The fast track to U21's when he was 17 because he wasn't happy in the U19 was laughable and trying to get Levein to take him on the USA trip a few years ago as well.

His goalscoring records in youth Scottish football are impressive and he has 2 in 4 games for the u21s - as a 17-year old.

His character may be flawed but his performances at youth level have been good.

The guy is eligible for Scotland but I personally wouldn't have said he is Scottish. The whole, "does he consider himself Scottish " doesn't really sit with me either. I'm not saying that you HAVE to be born in Scotland to be Scottish but this guy has basically moved to Scotland therefore is Scottish. I'm sure he's proud to represent his adopted homeland but doesn't mean he is Scottish.

I think the same applies to the likes of Mo Farah etc

The guy is eligible for Scotland but I personally wouldn't have said he is Scottish. The whole, "does he consider himself Scottish " doesn't really sit with me either. I'm not saying that you HAVE to be born in Scotland to be Scottish but this guy has basically moved to Scotland therefore is Scottish. I'm sure he's proud to represent his adopted homeland but doesn't mean he is Scottish.

What about guys like Hutchinson and Alexander?

Nonsense. If that were the case half of Australia wouldn't be Australian. Go further back and most Americans would be European.

The kid had to flee the country of his birth, by the grace of God found Scotland as a home, went to school in Scotland.

He's Scottish to me.

Now if he signed a pro contract after coming straight from Somalia, that would be a different matter as he moved For Football. But the fact he can never return means a lot.

J

Hutchison and Alexander not have Scottish parent(s)?

I think a direct blood line there would make a person Scottish. That may be considered archaic by many right enough.

As I said I have no problem with these guys representing their adopted homeland if they were brought up here and brought through the system. I just wouldn't have said that cases like Feruz and Rhodes as another example are actually Scottish, just eligible to represent Scotland.

will you cry if he plays up top with griffiths in a few years?

You have a weird fixation about me and Griffiths. I will re-iterate again for you that if he is selected to start for us I won't complain as aside from Naismith and Fletcher his form suggests he is the best of the rest. However, I don't think he is up to international standards so hold no hope of him being the answer which does say how weak we are in the striking department at the moment. I would be delighted to be proven wrong though and really hope I am but my only crime is I don't rate him.

As for Feruz my gripe with him is a rotten attitude, loyalty issues and have watched him on a number of occasions and still want to know what the fuss is all about.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

You have a weird fixation about me and Griffiths. I will re-iterate again for you that if he is selected to start for us I won't complain as aside from Naismith and Fletcher his form suggests he is the best of the rest. However, I don't think he is up to international standards so hold no hope of him being the answer which does say how weak we are in the striking department at the moment. I would be delighted to be proven wrong though and really hope I am but my only crime is I don't rate him.

As for Feruz my gripe with him is a rotten attitude, loyalty issues and have watched him on a number of occasions and still want to know what the fuss is all about.

Agree with all this.

I seriously hope this lad screws the nut, matures at Hibs and starts to produce some good performances. For all we say about his attitude the lad has been through some horrific times in his past. Just imagine having deportation hanging over your families heads while growing up and everything that went before. I can imagine this will have interrupted his schooling and possibly he has a chip on his shoulder for whatever reason. I know lots of folk will never forgive him for what he did to celtic (They did get a fair amount of cash in the end did they not?) but lets cut the lad some slack. He is young and I for one hope he makes it. Good luck son, go do yerself proud.

Lots of the stories I have heard about his attitude screams insecurity to me and with a past like his is it any wonder.

Edited by kmcca5

I reckon we will all have a pretty good idea by Christmas if he is up for the challenge or not. I don't think Stubbs would be the kind of manager who will let over inflated egos cause a problem in the dressing room, so I reckon wee Feruz either knuckles right down or it could be a short lived experiment for the Hibbies.

I love this - 'a good lead by Christmas'.

Assuming a 'good lead' is 6 or more points, and that there are 14 games until Christmas, do you think Rangers will lose 4 or 5 of those 14 games while Hibs would win every game? Hibs play Rangers twice more before the end of the year and obviously you'll back your own team. Fair play, you're entitled to your opinion, you're a Hibs man, but I just can't see how any fair minded fan could come out with that rationale after the start of the season so far.

Apologies for going off topic.

I sincerely hope that Islam Feruz goes on to be a success, he's a real waste of potential otherwise. This is going to be his only stint of first team football in his career, coming up for 20 years old now he's a bit behind. Playing in the Championship won't get him into the Scotland so we're unlikely to ever see him in a dark blue top until he's 21/22 years old, even if everything does go well for him.

Waye Rooney had already scored 12 international goals by the time he was 21. Looking back to when Feruz was a kid and making a pretty harsh comparison to the likes of Rooney, it's really disappointing that he's done nothing in the rest of his teenage years. (the curse of being a young Scottish talent)

ScotlandFanMuir, on 03 Sept 2015 - 10:39 AM, said:

I love this - 'a good lead by Christmas'.

Assuming a 'good lead' is 6 or more points, and that there are 14 games until Christmas, do you think Rangers will lose 4 or 5 of those 14 games while Hibs would win every game? Hibs play Rangers twice more before the end of the year and obviously you'll back your own team. Fair play, you're entitled to your opinion, you're a Hibs man, but I just can't see how any fair minded fan could come out with that rationale after the start of the season so far.

Quality misdirected rant. :lol:

He said "a good idea"...

The laddie comes across well here in this piece from the Evening News today.

He’s been long regarded as an enfant terrible, hugely talented and with an attitude to match, but today Islam Feruz pleaded to be judged on what he does now rather than his past.

Alan Stubbs sprang a major surprise in snapping up the striker – who turns 20 tomorrow – from Chelsea, signing him on a season-long loan, a deal which brought its own “handle with care” warning from former SFA performance director Marc Wotte who warned the Hibs boss the Somalia-born player would present him with a challenge.

ADVERTISING

However, while admitting he had done things that had got him into trouble in earlier years, Feruz was adamant he has returned to Scotland older, wiser and looking forward to working under Stubbs whom he described as “a brilliant manager who knows how to work with young players”.

He does, though, have a chequered past, spotted by Celtic at the age of ten and playing his first match for them at the age of just 14 when he featured in Tommy Burns’ testimonial match, a game in which, coincidentally, former Hoops defender Stubbs was, for a few minutes, a team-mate, only to turn his back on the Glasgow club as he moved to Chelsea four years ago.

Although he scored twice within a few months as the London club won the FA Youth Cup for the second time in three years, Feruz has struggled to make an impact at Stamford Bridge with a string of loan deals last season failing to work out. One, at Russian Second Division club Krylia Sovetov, lasted just two days.

Spells at OFI Crete and then Blackpool also didn’t work out, Feruz now admitting that as a player from Chelsea he found it difficult to comprehend why he wasn’t playing every week.

No such guarantee has been offered by Stubbs but Feruz, one of 33 Chelsea players currently out on loan, believes the coming months at Easter Road will enable him to return south better equipped to force his way into Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho’s thoughts.

He said: “I have always believed in myself and my ability as a footballer, even in the past couple of years. I know that I can do a job with Chelsea.

“I have a long-term contract with Chelsea and it’s up to me to do well with my loan spells and help me get back on that path. I got a phone call from my agent and he told me how good this move would be to get my football up and running again.”

Feruz revealed that after one chat with Stubbs he was convinced Hibs would be the right move. He said: “I think the manager knows how to work with young players, just from the way he speaks to you. When I spoke to him on the phone he just gave me that feeling he was exactly what I need.

“He gave me that boost to come here and the feeling I can do well. He obviously knows how good a player I am. He told me to come here, work hard and that he would get me back to playing my best football. He said he would give me games but that is not to say I will start every game as I need to work for it.”

Feruz has memories of Hibs as a Premiership club but he insisted he had no reservations about playing in the Championship having discussed a switch to Edinburgh with Chelsea’s head of youth development who helped broker the move. He said: “I discussed it with Neil (Bath) who also told me it was a great opportunity rather than risk going higher where there was a chance of me not playing.

“Before I went out on loan I was told it would be difficult not to expect to play in every game because I came from Chelsea. I didn’t know that then but I learned a few things as I went along and got more experienced. It’s difficult and as a young player you do not know how to handle most things.

“There’s more to it than just playing first-team football. My target here is to help the team and score as many goals as I can. That’s my main priority as a striker.”

Feruz has found it easy to settle into his new surroundings at East Mains having come across a host of familiar faces both from his time with Celtic and from playing with Scotland through the various youth levels. He made his debut for the Under-21s at just 16 and once scored a hat-trick for them.

He said: “The boys have been brilliant, I know most of them, so I have been comfortable. I played with Dylan McGeouch for Scotland and Celtic. In fact, I’ve played with plenty of them with either Celtic or Scotland. I knew of Liam Henderson, I probably had a couple of training sessions with him when I was at Celtic.

“They haven’t changed. They were all friendly, everything I remembered from the past. It will help me that they are here. It is good to get comfortable around the place quickly and thanks to those boys I have.”

Though he pleads to be judged on what he does from now on, Feruz knows he can’t escape the past, although he was quick to disabuse anyone of the notion that, as had been widely thought, he had turned his back on further involvement with Scotland. He said: “I like Scotland and I enjoy playing for Scotland, so I’d like the opportunity if it comes in the future as long as I do well here.

“I think I’ve got wiser. I know what I want and I am determined to make the most of this chance and to do well. I’ve made a few mistakes but I’ve learned from them. As I grew up, I learned to ignore always being in the spotlight. When I was younger, I didn’t know how to ignore the attention and I did things that I shouldn’t have and got into trouble.

“If it was not for the mistakes, then I wouldn’t be the man I am today. It’s something that comes from being young. I want people to judge me on what I do now. A lot of people want to judge me based on what I’ve done in the past rather than who I am now. It would be nice to be judged on what I do at Hibs and how I behave in Scotland.”

And as far as Wotte’s warning to his new boss goes? “Maybe he found it a challenge to manage me,” said Feruz, “Alan Stubbs won’t. He is a brilliant manager and he knows how to work with young players and is comfortable with that. I listen to him and I want to do well for him.”

Good words but actions speak louder. Hopefully, by basically admitting he's been an egotistical wee shite, he'll use that as a learning curve and focus on improving his game at Hibs. He must be on the last-chance saloon at Chelsea after throwing a strop at Blackpool.

Curiously but seems he has two accents.

A London one and then a Scottish one. Like Gillian Anderson and that knob Barrowman has as well.

Anyone know of any others who are "bi-accented" (surely a better name than that for it?)?

Hugely off-topic, apologies.

i noticed that as well, when he is interviewed for chelsea he speaks with a multicultural london accent and then when interviewed for hibs he has reverted back to a central belt (not Glaswegian) scottish accent