Greek Bailout... - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed but the UK hasn't hit rock bottom like Greece has. Would still be surprised if YES wins.

There are probably a lot of shy yes voters who are actually quite comfortably with what they have and don't want to change anything. Its only the nasty noisy no voters that you hear on the internet.

In the end, as with all referenda, the result will be what big business wants the result to be.

It could actually be much worse for Greece is they vote Yes at this point in time

Tsipras & Varoufakis have already said they will resign as they wont sign up to the terms of the deal

This means another election with Golden Dawn hovering in the background

You could actually have a civil war

It could actually be much worse for Greece is they vote Yes at this point in time

Tsipras & Varoufakis have already said they will resign as they wont sign up to the terms of the deal

This means another election with Golden Dawn hovering in the background

You could actually have a civil war

Looking at the last opinion poll in Greece:

Syriza - 38.6% (+2.3% on Election)

New Democracy - 25.4% (-2.4%)

Golden Dawn - 6.3% (N/C)

Potami - 6.3% (+0.2%)

Communist - 6.1% (+0.6%)

Others - 17.3% (-0.7%)

it doesn't look as if Golden Dawn would be the most likely party to overtake Syriza if there was another election.

Looking at the last opinion poll in Greece:

Syriza - 38.6% (+2.3% on Election)

New Democracy - 25.4% (-2.4%)

Golden Dawn - 6.3% (N/C)

Potami - 6.3% (+0.2%)

Communist - 6.1% (+0.6%)

Others - 17.3% (-0.7%)

it doesn't look as if Golden Dawn would be the most likely party to overtake Syriza if there was another election.

I know

Just said they were hovering

And in doing so they changed the morality of the debt. Defaulting on a private bank debt = private business risk, not good to do but that's business. Defaulting on public debt = stealing from taxpayers and morally reprehensible.

That's the heart of the matter for me. Countless banks made bad loans to countries across Europe on which they made a good return for a while, but which were never realistically going to be paid back in full. When it all started to go bad governments (including the EU) bailed out the banks using taxpayers money, thereby (as you say) transferring the debt from the private sector to the public. We are all now paying for the stupidity of bankers who are largely still in place. The Greeks are the first country to stand up to this, unlike, for example, the Irish. There are issues for democracy around this, with unelected officials in the IMF and EU attempting to bully an elected government into carrying out neo-liberal policies that the people rejected in an election. This is causing massive hardship which will get worse when the banks in Greece fold ( how will theY pay to import food? Or medicine?) and this in a country that was until relatively recently a military dictatorship. The EU needs to be very careful here, as even the IMF and U.S. Are counselling. Edited by Pool Q

Debtor houses were abolished for a reason. Banks want to have risk free lending and actually had an unpaid massive insurance policy with the people of the world we didn't know about which they cashed in to the tune of trillions in 2008 when they went tits up and everyone bailed them out.

Lending for profit is a two sided risk, not one sided.

Pool Q it's a coup attempt using financial warfare. Perkins talked about it ages ago now. Corporations having more rights than humans.

It's going to get a lot worse and even then it won't be nearly as bad as many countries across the globe. it's all relative.

That's possibly true but does Greece have to be diminished to the point of being a virtual third world country before people consider a different way of doing things? If I was Greek I don't think I'd accept that.

Could be argued that the General Election was the very thing and that the UK did indeed vote in more austerity please.

I was thinking that myself. The kind of austerity we've seen - which is bad enough - is mild compared to what the Greeks have had to put up with though.

Things i've noticed recently and reinforced by Andrew Neil on Politics Sunday today

1 -The BBC are desperate for The Greeks to be seen at fault, want them to vote Yes and want them to suffer more austerity so that it encourages Osborne to do the same

2 - Want to bomb Syria