League Reconstruction - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

League Reconstruction

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually really like the 12-12 to 8-8-8 idea. Probably make very little difference to the top 8 - play each other 4 times ? So what, at least it's not 3. The groups of 8 guarantee more interest for more teams right to the end of the season.

I hate it. Splitting the league after just 22 games is mental.

Teams at the bottom of the top 8 have months with zero to play for, and the same goes for teams at the top of the bottom 8.

The middle 8 would certainly be exciting but the potential for carve ups will be huge....

The 12-12-18 with the top two leagues being split into three Leagues of 8 is ludicrous. It creates a scenario where bottom of the Premier League would start resting players before the split knowing their points get reset to zero and the possibility of a team who narrowly miss out on the top 8 then being thrown straight into a relegation battle having been miles clear beforehand.

I'd go with a 16-16-10 set-up, two-up and two-down plus a relegation/promotion playoff between 3rd bottom and 3rd, 4th and 5th teams in top two leagues (two-legged semi finals and a final at a neutral venue). I'd also revamp the League Cup to include Group sections again that will cover the loss of games caused by a 30 game League campaign.

Do we have lots of meaningful matches now?

Yes, I think so. With 4 leagues, there's lots of teams throughout the country who will either be going for promotion, or league championships, or fighting to avoid relegation.

With 2 leaves you'd pretty much half that

The 12-12-18 with the top two leagues being split into three Leagues of 8 is ludicrous. It creates a scenario where bottom of the Premier League would start resting players before the split knowing their points get reset to zero and the possibility of a team who narrowly miss out on the top 8 then being thrown straight into a relegation battle having been miles clear beforehand.

I'd go with a 16-16-10 set-up, two-up and two-down plus a relegation/promotion playoff between 3rd bottom and 3rd, 4th and 5th teams in top two leagues (two-legged semi finals and a final at a neutral venue). I'd also revamp the League Cup to include Group sections again that will cover the loss of games caused by a 30 game League campaign.

This would get my vote.....

League reconstruction - no thanks - plenty excitement last year why change it.

my view exactly. Finally we have excitement in the leagues, thanks to the play-offs, and, just because the rangers were too crap to get promoted, we have to start talking about changing things.

This would get my vote.....

And me

If we were to improve rankings and get an extra Europa league spot, i think a play off between 4th 5th 6th and 7th would be good with the winner getting the spot, they do this in Netherlands and Belgium (i think)

I'd consider a change to the play off structure to make the final a one off game at a neutral venue, TBC when 4 competitors are known.

A lot of the issues around ticketing etc are a bit of a one off due to Hibs and Rangers being there this year and possibly next, but a rule in line with cup ties on minimum allocation would nip that in the bud 11 months in advance!

I think the 12-12 becoming 8-8-8 is just mental! Has far too many problems with it.

16-10-Regionalised

Should provide closer top league with the flexibility for a winter shutdown and/or postponements when the weather turns as no way we'd go for something like summer footie. Also give flexibility for more league cup matches

I'd agree with making the play off final a one off game, perhaps a few days before the Scottish Cup Final - that should be the last game of the season I think

Yes, I think so. With 4 leagues, there's lots of teams throughout the country who will either be going for promotion, or league championships, or fighting to avoid relegation.

With 2 leaves you'd pretty much half that

Before replying in full, if your club is midtable before the split with no chance of either finishing in a euro spot or being relegated; do you consider finishing in the top half as being something to play for?

I think this could work. Particularly if you give the League Cup back its European spot (or at least create a play off between the LC winners and the final League slot.

Before replying in full, if your club is midtable before the split with no chance of either finishing in a euro spot or being relegated; do you consider finishing in the top half as being something to play for?

I'd say yes, financially it would historically have got you a home game against one of the old firm, if youve played at parkhead twice, that's still the case. It's reasonably unusual to be cut adrift from the European places by the split too, dependant on who is still in the cup.

I see where you're going - aye, I suppose I do

Go for 2-12-12-10

2 - Celtic and Rangers, let the horrible twosome who have strangled the life out of Scottish football for years stealing all prize money / unfair distirubtion of wealth, snapping up any other teams promising youngsters to keep on the bench -sod them tell them both to beat it!!

Play each other 36 times a year, its keep the tossers in SFA happy and Sky can show them every week - job done

12-12 Premier and 1st division

bottom 10 split it with highland and lowland leagues to regionalize the bottom rung, having teams like Annan travelling hundred miles every 2nd week is mad, clubs cant afford it.

Relegation / Promotion easy enough

job done

thanks

I'd say yes, financially it would historically have got you a home game against one of the old firm, if youve played at parkhead twice, that's still the case. It's reasonably unusual to be cut adrift from the European places by the split too, dependant on who is still in the cup.

Yeah I think Dundee still had half a chance when the split took place?

There is always going to be a couple of teams who have nothing to play for towards the end of the season no matter the set up so I dont see that as an argument.

I think Dundee and Hamilton were the only teams who had nothing to play for with 4 games to go?

Should be an 18 team premier league play each other twice with a league of 12 and 12 below that, simple play each team once at home and away, makes the league fresher only seeing the team once a season at your own park and new teams in would freshen it up, i know i have always wanted see QOS in the league, never had opportunity for Motherwell play down there. Imagine St Mirren and Morton both in premier league theres 2 sellouts a season, and if Ayr utd got back up them and Killie in same league be another 2 sellouts, got good teams like Falkirk, Dunfermline, Raith Rovers who wehn play each other as well always get good crowds as near each other or derbies add that when they play Hibs or Hearts always good crowds as only over forth road bridge away from each other. We defo need to change it not next season but following should aim for 18 team premier league, would love to see that.

Coule introduce play offs as well for europa league spot like dutch and belgian league do and playoffs at the bottom for relegation so teams always got something to play for.

Edited by Geed

Should be an 18 team premier league play each other twice with a league of 12 and 12 below that, simple play each team once at home and away, makes the league fresher only seeing the team once a season at your own park and new teams in would freshen it up, i know i have always wanted see QOS in the league, never had opportunity for Motherwell play down there. Imagine St Mirren and Morton both in premier league theres 2 sellouts a season, and if Ayr utd got back up them and Killie in same league be another 2 sellouts, got good teams like Falkirk, Dunfermline, Raith Rovers who wehn play each other as well always get good crowds as near each other or derbies add that when they play Hibs or Hearts always good crowds as only over forth road bridge away from each other. We defo need to change it not next season but following should aim for 18 team premier league, would love to see that.

Coule introduce play offs as well for europa league spot like dutch and belgian league do and playoffs at the bottom for relegation so teams always got something to play for.

Agree with that