Leaked Memo - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carmichael is a despicable khunt. What does this pathetic stunt tell you about his desperate state of mind? But ignoring his selfish pathology for the time being, I'm dumbfounded that that civil service bosses can't see there's absolutely no link between an employee's 'good character' and shoddy workmanship.

Why, if the report's author thought something might have been lost in translation, didn't they ask the parties to the conversation to clarify their statements for the sake of transparency and accuracy? I very much doubt that the conversation between Sturgeon and the French ambassador would have been conducted in anything other than English, so unless the civil servant's first language wasn't English, where could the 'lost in translation' excuse come from?

Hopefully, some soft Unionists will start opening their eyes to what the self-serving UK establishment is all about. And shame on the people who voted for Carmichael if they are prepared to stay quiet on this.

The civil servant who wrote the memo wasn't at the meeting.

He was recording a report of conversation he had with the French C-G about the meeting and what was discussed, i.e. either a third or fourth hand account of the meeting.

What they are saying is essentially that the French C-G told the Scotland Office CS that NS, preferred Cameron and thought Miliband was not Prime Ministerial and that the CS accurately recorded that conversation. To me that is giving credence by the addendum that the CS didn't believe himself that NS would have expressed that opinion in that context, ie., this guy's told me this and I think it's nonsense.

Given that both NS - well she would say that, wouldn't she - and the French Ambassador denied the allegations then the obvious inference is that the French C-G misrepresented - probably unwittingly - the content and context of the meeting.

To me the easiest explanation is that NS said something or other unflattering about Ed Miliband which was either misunderstood, misrepresented or probably both, as expressing a preference for Cameron.

Edited by aaid

The civil servant who wrote the memo wasn't at the meeting.

He was recording a report of conversation he had with the French C-G about the meeting and what was discussed, i.e. either a third or fourth hand account of the meeting.

What they are saying is essentially that the French C-G told the Scotland Office CS that NS, preferred Cameron and thought Miliband was not Prime Ministerial and that the CS accurately recorded that conversation. To me that is giving credence by the addendum that the CS didn't believe himself that NS would have expressed that opinion in that context, ie., this guy's told me this and I think it's nonsense.

Given that both NS - well she would say that, wouldn't she - and the French Ambassador denied the allegations then the obvious inference is that the French C-G misrepresented - probably unwittingly - the content and context of the meeting.

To me the easiest explanation is that NS said something or other unflattering about Ed Miliband which was either misunderstood, misrepresented or probably both, as expressing a preference for Cameron.

I appreciate the report was a umpteenth-hand summary of what happened. Like the report's author, I wasn't actually there and am therefore basing my own biased summary on the umpteenth-hand accounts of numerous other self-invested, self-regarding parties who have neither honesty, accuracy or transparency at the heart of their mission statement. I can, however, accept something in my summary might have been 'lost', misguided or wilfully ignored in my rush to judgement and desire to smear. But that's not the point... :-))

Seriously, though, I just find it hard to believe something like this could be accepted by any departmental manager (in this case Carmichael) when it apparently lacked any truth or even any vestige of accuracy. It undermines the dept, the individual, the organisation and simply shows the sheer desperation that must have been driving both Carmichael and his tragic party. But he must surely have realised if it eventually came out that it would either highlight the workings of government to some people or underline them to others. Hardly a tactic for building trust in an already sceptical electorate.

Reports I read yesterday didn't just say that he would be aware that the report 'might come out', but that he either requested, or agreed to, the report being leaked to the papers

I see the Independent headline writers spinning the story that NS did prefer Cameron, and that the memo was an accurate record of the FM's comments

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nicola-sturgeon-did-want-david-cameron-to-win-the-general-election-report-concludes-10271382.html

But the report itself just records that the memo was an accurate record to the civil servant's conversation, not the FM's conversation. So the once proud Indy is now quite openly and wilfully distorting the facts, allowing their followers to believe FM a liar and hypocrite

No wonder trust in politicians and journalists so low. You feel you need to read half a dozen papers and half a dozen politicians to get any sort of perspective on where roughly the truth might lie

Seriously, though, I just find it hard to believe something like this could be accepted by any departmental manager (in this case Carmichael) when it apparently lacked any truth or even any vestige of accuracy. It undermines the dept, the individual, the organisation and simply shows the sheer desperation that must have been driving both Carmichael and his tragic party. But he must surely have realised if it eventually came out that it would either highlight the workings of government to some people or underline them to others. Hardly a tactic for building trust in an already sceptical electorate.

I suspect that they thought enough mud would stick regardless of the truth. What killed the story stone dead was when the French came out with a strong denial immediately. I suspect they anticipated a diplomatic "no comment" from the French which would have left Sturgeon alone defending her position and it would be a case of Job Done.

I doubt they ever thought it would come out that they were behind it. Pretty sure that in the first telegraph report it never mentioned the memo and that was only when they were being accused of making the whole thing up that they published the "source".

Ultimately I think what will do Carmichael won't necessarily won't be the leak itself but him lying about being aware/involved and the subsequent inquiry. I see from Twitter some talk about building a legal challenge on that basis to have his election overturned.

A bit like a mini-Watergate, it wasn't the fact the Republicans were bugging the Democrats that brought them down, it was the cover-up.

Edit: In other words, the impact of the story is being minimised because ultimately it had no perceivable impact on the election outcome (except O&S), but remember at the time, if things had gone the other way - if it had been accepted as true - as carmichael intended - it would have blown a hole in the SNP/sturgeon bandwagon, the Labour spin of 'vote SNP get Tory' would seem vindicated, and NS would overnight go from star to pariah

Totally agree with you. At first you just just think about his narrow victory in O&S but actually that narrative of NS wanting the Tories in may have persuaded some people elsewhere to vote Green or Labour. Add to that Davidson's unsubstantiated tweeting about the heavies at the polling station and it paints a pretty depressing picture of the unionist mindset.

Carmicahel is the sort of arrogant clown that believed that all he had to do was to continue the lies of Project Fear, and he would be protected by the Westminster mechanism and a rabid unionist press.

Her got away with it for 18 months before the referendum, but this time he was hung out to dry.

What an arrogant khunt of a man. I despise politicians like him.

looks like the BBC have absolutely buried this story.

First five minutes on this evenings news was about Irish referendum - its not part of the UK and the issue doesn't really affect the UK seeing that we already have same sex marriage (I thought I was watching RTE)

Second story about B of E thinking about contingency plans if UK withdrew from EU, not exactly news that a bank has contingency plans!

None of the English papers had the Carmichael story on their front pages.

Only way anything will happen is through public pressure.

looks like the BBC have absolutely buried this story.

First five minutes on this evenings news was about Irish referendum - its not part of the UK and the issue doesn't really affect the UK seeing that we already have same sex marriage (I thought I was watching RTE)

Second story about B of E thinking about contingency plans if UK withdrew from EU, not exactly news that a bank has contingency plans!

None of the English papers had the Carmichael story on their front pages.

Only way anything will happen is through public pressure.

The silence is curious. I know it's bank holiday saturday, but curious that no Tory or Labour - or even Lib Dem - person is trying to get capital out of taking the moral high ground against Carmichael.

The silence is curious. I know it's bank holiday saturday, but curious that no Tory or Labour - or even Lib Dem - person is trying to get capital out of taking the moral high ground against Carmichael.

It's because they hate the SNP so much that they simply can't concede anything to them. Or because they gleefully jumped all over this story as well.

Both The Herald and (astonishingly) The Scotsman ran leaders this morning saying that Carmichael should resign, and I have a feeling that The Sunday Herald headline tomorrow will be brutal in demanding his resignation.

Tbh, I've come to the conclusion that I don't really care either way. I'd like to see this arrogant liar crash and burn, but equally if he attempts to hold on then he's most certainly sealed the death-knell of the LibDems in next years elections.....including both present MSP's in Orkney and Shetland....and in the the GE of 2020 he's already guaranteed the SNP a seat.

If he tries to hold on, the stench around him will be overwhelming, and it'll overwhelm the likes of that odious little runt, Willie Rennie.

All the other parties arent interested because it was against nicola sturgeon but you can guarantee if this had happened to the blue tories or red tories all hell would have broken loose.So much so they would have been debating it in the house of commons and the house of ill repute [lords].

Yes I agree though you might imagine at least it would be in someone's interest, however backhanded (thinking here of Ian Davidson attacking Murphy on election night) of gining an advantage by helping stick the boot into AC.

Anyway maybe after a day or nothing, things are starting to move:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/23/alistair-carmichael-liberal-democrats-byelection-threat-leak-snp-sturgeon

I wonder what it would take to get Carmichael to finger Mundle? Metaphorically speaking of course.

Well you may have meant it metaphorically but I've now that mental image imprinted and when I wake up screaming it's you I'll be cursing.

I reckon a knighthood not to (shudder) finger him.

Well you may have meant it metaphorically but I've now that mental image imprinted and when I wake up screaming it's you I'll be cursing.

I'd need more than a fekiin hood to finger any of them..

You might be best not to click on Wibble's nudist thread. I think the photos are about to appear. One image like that is more than enough for one night. :yikes3: