So...what Happens Now ? - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

So...what Happens Now ?

List of select committees here.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/

Not sure how representation works, but I think its relative to numbers. However there's no point in SNP MPs sitting on education, health, communities etc as they're all done at holyrood. So there should be representation on defence, foreign affairs, finance etc. As milarly for the legislative committees, drafting and redrafting legislation is genuine influence.

Edited by biffer

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No chance. It was a Westminster election. The Tories have a majority, what they want happens.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with Scotland, post referendum they were crass, maybe with an eye on English votes. Do they just go for the line of we won, so we can ignore those uppity Jocks or do they concede that things have changed and they must also. The latter it seems to me is the wisest and best approach but given how much they have demonized Scotland any concessions to the Sweaties will not go down well with the Tory right or the Mail and Express, Torygraph readership.

Behind that lies a deeper question of whether the Tories really do want us. I'm inclined to think they have their reasons to retain the union albeit with Scotland just reduced to one region amongst many. However if they can change constituency boundaries and get rid off Scotland then they can look forward to Tory rule for a very very long time indeed - maybe I should suggest that to Tory HQ.

Scotland has once again ended up with a government we did not vote for.

I listened to tommy sheridan this morning and for all his faults he talks sense. Even if all seats went to labour, there would still be a majority conservative government in power.

Independence will come in the next 10 years in my opinion. There may be a UK referendum on membership of EU. If UK votes to leave, this could force the issue on independence and we could get it sooner.

This is a huge step towards independence, " the dream will never die"

Soar Alba

It will be interesting to see how they deal with Scotland, post referendum they were crass, maybe with an eye on English votes. Do they just go for the line of we won, so we can ignore those uppity Jocks or do they concede that things have changed and they must also. The latter it seems to me is the wisest and best approach but given how much they have demonized Scotland any concessions to the Sweaties will not go down well with the Tory right or the Mail and Express, Torygraph readership.

Behind that lies a deeper question of whether the Tories really do want us. I'm inclined to think they have their reasons to retain the union albeit with Scotland just reduced to one region amongst many. However if they can change constituency boundaries and get rid off Scotland then they can look forward to Tory rule for a very very long time indeed - maybe I should suggest that to Tory HQ.

TBF, they are already being conciliatory. Boris was talking about Federalism, Cameron offering the most powerful devolved parliament in the world, talking about one Nation etc, etc. we will see what transpires.

I don't think you get the Conservative attraction to the union. A bit like my misses, I don't want her to leave but she doesn't half get on my nerves sometimes. ;-)

The papers and Tory right are less important as the threat of UKIP recedes in the South. Tory dissent has nowhere to go now.

As for the boundary changes they are long overdue but even when implemented will just balance out the current inequalities. It takes more Tory votes to get an MP than Labour at the moment. Remember that, even with Milliband and a shite campaign, the were still taking seats off the Tories last night. Not sure Scottish Labour MPs have been the difference between winning and losing very often.

I listened to tommy sheridan this morning and for all his faults he talks sense. Even if all seats went to labour, there would still be a majority conservative government in power.

Independence will come in the next 10 years in my opinion. There may be a UK referendum on membership of EU. If UK votes to leave, this could force the issue on independence and we could get it sooner.

Soar Alba

I admire that. Howeverm I personally think Salmond scored a massive own goal throughout the last referendum by repeatedly calling it a once in a lifetime chance. That kind of ruled out hopes of revisiting this subject. And considering the result was so close then it made it an even bigger own goal.

Soar Alba

Wouldn't hang your hat on the UK voting to exit the EU, support for the EU is at an all time high in the UK.

Sitting in my house watching the news, looking out the window and still can't quite believe the whole country has pretty much turned SNP. Staggering.

I'll remember last night forever.

doesn't make up for the deflation post referendum but helps sooth the blow.

:ok:

There is NO way the UK will vote to leave the EU. Not a chance.

SNP just need to tread carefully because they'll be campaigning alongside Labour and Tories. Let me correct that, the SNP must make sure they campaign on their own and have nothing to do with Labour or the Tories. Run their own, distinctive, Scottish campaign and it'll be fine.

UK will vote to stay in though. Anyone hoping that will be an #indyref2 trigger will be disappointed.

SNP just need to tread carefully because they'll be campaigning alongside Labour and Tories. Let me correct that, the SNP must make sure they campaign on their own and have nothing to do with Labour or the Tories. Run their own, distinctive, Scottish campaign and it'll be fine.

UK will vote to stay in though. Anyone hoping that will be an #indyref2 trigger will be disappointed.

with UKIP not doing too well and also loosing their puppet faced leader, I agree.

with UKIP not doing too well and also loosing their puppet faced leader, I agree.

UKIP actually did do well

It was FPTP that did for them

On Sept 19 when Alex Salmond stepped down, I was devastated. It was a further blow after the almighty kick in the baws that was experienced as each referendum count was announced.

But now, 9 months later, I feel we are in a stronger position with Nicola Sturgeon in charge. Salmond was a divisive figure and some people were never going to support the SNP or independence largely due to the way Salmond was perceived. I don't think anybody in their right mind would have predicted last night's result back in September. If you had predicted SNP would get a majority (never mind 56 seats), you would have been sectioned.

The way that Nicola Sturgeon has appealed to the wider electorate has been truly stunning. There is an appetite for change. The SNP MPs must be seen to push for reform and the best possible deal for Scotland.

Given the surge in support for the SNP since the referendum, if we don't get independence in the next 10 years, I don't think we'll see it in my lifetime.

Carpe diem

Saor Alba

Salmond was a divisive figure and some people were never going to support the SNP or independence largely due to the way Salmond was perceived.

Saor Alba

I've always thought that most people who said they didn't like him had been solely swayed by the media. But luckily msm spent so long demonising him that they'd left Nicola alone. Too short a time to do more than put a picture of her on front page with headline calling her Dangerous, so out came the school pictures because that's top line journalism. I agree about it helping having NS rather than AS for this GE but I'll forever be grateful to him for the direction he took us. Also for being a big enough person to teach and then stand aside for his trainee/protégée/next in command.

I've always thought that most people who said they didn't like him had been solely swayed by the media. But luckily msm spent so long demonising him that they'd left Nicola alone. Too short a time to do more than put a picture of her on front page with headline calling her Dangerous, so out came the school pictures because that's top line journalism. I agree about it helping having NS rather than AS for this GE but I'll forever be grateful to him for the direction he took us. Also for being a big enough person to teach and then stand aside for his trainee/protégée/next in command.

absolutely.

Without the groundwork laid down by Alex Salmond, there is no way we would be in the position we are now. The man is a hero and a legend.

He put the nation first when he stood down, and when we gain independence I hope he gets the credit he truly deserves.

Am I right in thinking that gen election was over 18s only ?

Referendum was 16, and lot of young team was Yes ( I understand)

Yep

So the likelihood is that if the General Election had been opened up to 16 year olds the SNP would have won all 59 seats

I agree.

Trident could be the trigger.

I agree.

Trident could be the trigger.

There will be no 'trigger', in that sense - neither side is going to want to be bumped into a second referendum.

The next significant event will be the May 2016 Holyrood election - PR, and following a 50% turnout in 2011. It'll be interesting to see how the SNP campaigns on that one having assiduously downplayed independence during this campaign. Trident will only be significant if a row over that can be stirred in the next 12 months - which is quite possible, I suppose.

Very much doubt Trident will be a trigger as I'm not sure polling is quite conclusive on it.

The only trigger for independence will be absolutely certainty we'll win it and that's consistent polling above 60/65%. We're way off that and people would do well to expect it to be 5 years off because the last thing Sturgeon needs is to feel the heat because of impatience in core support.

Only explicit trigger we are likely to see is an EU exit.

UKIP actually did do well

It was FPTP that did for them

Disagree. UKIP like all the other parties knew fine well it was the FPTP system for all its faults that was being used for the election. You need to get as many MPs as possible. That's it. No point playing the game then crying "this game's not fair!" when it doesn't go your way.

Why did they bother having candidates stand in London where they had no chance of winning that seat? Much better to focus their resources on the few seats they had a chance in rather than spread themselves too thinly.

UKIP greetin about their share of the vote is like Craig Broon saying we won the game on corners.