So...what Happens Now ? - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

So...what Happens Now ?

I wouldn't rely on England voting exit most of the media and the business world will be pro Europe

Im not to be honest although UKIP got nearly 4 million votes and there will be a healthy numbers of Tories with the same mindset

But it is a possibility

The main thing at the moment is that England has voted for more austerity while Scotland has totally rejected it

If the Tories ignore this and do not address that democatic defecit then fool on them if they really are so concerned with saving the Union

They do need Scottish Oil and Gas revenues to completely dismantle the public sector and force through their welfare cuts just like they needed it in the 80s & 90s to destroy the heavy Industries so im not holding my breath

Edited by Ally Bongo

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Euro Referendum I see HSBC saying they'd reconsider their position in the UK id=f they pulled out of Europe. Sound familiar?

All the financial institutions will campaign against exiting the EU. It would complicate life for them considerably.

What about the SNP expanding all over the UK and giving the people of England an alternative or at least being an affiliate party ?

Might not be as crazy as you (and i) initially think

I had that thought the other week when it became apparent how popular Sturgeon was in England too. If there was a party they could be allied to in England, it might be a strategy for the 2020 election. Although without voting reform I couldn't see them make many gains under FPTP.

Im not to be honest although UKIP got nearly 4 million votes and there will be a healthy numbers of Tories with the same mindset

But it is a possibility

The main thing at the moment is that England has voted for more austerity while Scotland has totally rejected it

If the Tories ignore this and do not address that democatic defecit then fool on them if they really are so concerned with saving the Union

They do need Scottish Oil and Gas revenues to completely dismantle the public sector and force through their welfare cuts just like they needed it in the 80s & 90s to destroy the heavy Industries so im not holding my breath

They don't actually need Oil and Gas revenues. They account for less than 1% of the UK government budget.

There's one comment describing Mhairi Black as a 'lesbian alcoholic with learning difficulties'.

These people are scumbags.

I don't know anything about Miss Blacks personal circumstances, but only a right wing dickhead would see 2 of those as derogatory when it comes to the achievement of being elected.

These people are best ignored, they'll die out soon enough.

No influence. Three things they can do though:

1. Make a nuisance of themselves. SNP are going to get far greater prominence in committees, question time, debates etc and it's up to them to get digging, educate themselves, be a thorn in the side of the Tories and expose their policies for what they are. Essentially: be seen to be fighting Scotland's corner and getting wired into the Tories.

2. Work on a policy platform and make the Tories say No. And make them say No often. Trident. DevoMax. Federalism. PR. Ending austerity. Devolution of VAT. Devolution of oil revenues. Devolution of universal credit. Devolution of anything and everything. Be seen to ask, and make sure the Tories are seen to say No. Even better if you can corner the Labour Party too and have them say No to stuff like Proportional Representation. And make them say it publically. Where previously Angus Robertson would do some good digging on the MOD, there is now 56 SNP MPs and they should be all over Westminster like a rash.

3. Be Seen and Be Heard. The media, Labour, the Tories, the wider UK establishment have painted the SNP as foaming mouth bigots who would eat yer bairns. There's a LOT of very good SNP MPs on their way to Westminster and it's important the general public, especially the Scottish public see them and hear them. Be articulate. Be principled. Be professional. Before long, people will realise that what they've been told of the SNP is a big f***ing lie.

They might have no actual influence on policy but there is a tonne of work for them to do. They have 5 years to maximise the benefits of having a first class team of MPs. This opportunity might not come around again so it's important they take advantage of the elevated profile and access while they can. They do their job well and they could be last MPs we send to Westminster.

I thought VAT couldn't be devolved under UK law?

I don't know anything about Miss Blacks personal circumstances, but only a right wing Seb Coe would see 2 of those as derogatory when it comes to the achievement of being elected.

These people are best ignored, they'll die out soon enough.

We had them on here last week as well talking about Ruth Davidson :ok:

Another thing the SNP should be battering is the BBC (and other media). As the third largest party, the SNP should have a spokesperson on Question Time every week and should be asked their opinion on every political news story. The liberals had that treatment for years, UKIP talking heads abound, so now the SNP should be represented in the same way.

Edited by biffer

I thought VAT couldn't be devolved under UK law?

I think it could be devolved but they would have to have the same rate as the rest of the UK, under EU legislation. I could be wrong though. It's one of those grey areas. It might need to be tested in the courts?

Another thing the SNP should be battering is the BBC (and other media). As the third largest party, the SNP should have a spokesperson on Question Time every week and should be asked their opinion on every political news story. The liberals had that treatment for years, UKIP talking heads abound, so now the SNP should be represented in the same way.

Heard it mentioned at the weekend that that's expected to happen. We shall see. The party will certainly be better financed through "short money" etc. and have a much greater presence in Commons activities...

I think it could be devolved but they would have to have the same rate as the rest of the UK, under EU legislation. I could be wrong though. It's one of those grey areas. It might need to be tested in the courts?

it could be developed but we would not be allowed to set a different rate. EU wouldn't allow it......

Agree with this.

Lib Dems should barely get a look-in at Question Time – they should get George Galloway’s slot now he’s no longer an MP.

SNP not being represented on Question Time should be the exception – 1 episode in 10 – from now on.

There are actually a number of Scottish Conservative MPs, representing English constituencies. Here's a few other Scottish Secretary possibilities

Ian Duncan Smith

Ian Liddell-Grainger was born in Edinburgh and used to farm in the Borders

Mary MacLeod was born in London to Scottish parents, father a prebyteian minister, went to university in Glasgow

Graham Stuart is from Carlisle (nearly Scotland, innit) and went to Glenalmond College.

Fiona Bruce was born in Wick

Eleanor Laing was born in Paisley, raised in Kilmacolmand went to Edinburgh Uni.

Mark Menzies was born and raised in Irvine and went to Glasgow Uni

Iain Stewart born and raised in Hamilton

Rory Stewart

There are actually a number of Scottish Conservative MPs, representing English constituencies. Here's a few other Scottish Secretary possibilities

Does it really need to be someone Scottish. I'd be pretty uncomfortable with such a rule. I'd have a far bigger problem with a Scottish SoS who lives in and represents Surrey, than I would with an English SoS who lives in and represents a Scottish constituency. Representing those who live and work in Scotland should be the mandate for the job, not what nationality they are.

Was only ever going to be Mundell.

Ian Duncan Smith

Ian Liddell-Grainger was born in Edinburgh and used to farm in the Borders

Mary MacLeod was born in London to Scottish parents, father a prebyteian minister, went to university in Glasgow

Graham Stuart is from Carlisle (nearly Scotland, innit) and went to Glenalmond College.

Fiona Bruce was born in Wick

Eleanor Laing was born in Paisley, raised in Kilmacolmand went to Edinburgh Uni.

Mark Menzies was born and raised in Irvine and went to Glasgow Uni

Iain Stewart born and raised in Hamilton

Rory Stewart

What a depressingly long list of Scottish Tories/Tories with Scots connections. :(

Quite pleased that Mundell got the gig though, he's hopeless!

Does it really need to be someone Scottish. I'd be pretty uncomfortable with such a rule. I'd have a far bigger problem with a Scottish SoS who lives in and represents Surrey, than I would with an English SoS who lives in and represents a Scottish constituency. Representing those who live and work in Scotland should be the mandate for the job, not what nationality they are.

Was only ever going to be Mundell.

Sounds like a good excuse to have a wee look at this again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwBvjoLyZc