The Football Mavericks - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Football Mavericks

I watched it too, really enjoyed it and set the series link for the next two episodes.

Frank Worthington would have been my favourite player if I was born when he was playing, I spent the whole episode waiting on them showing that goal where he flicks it over his head an volleys it in but it wasn't shown until right at the end.

The story about his medical at Liverpool I'd heard before. Although I heard he had his blood pressure taken and they said "It's a bit high, go away on holiday for a week and come back." He went to Majorca and when he returned it was even higher!

The story about his medical at Liverpool I'd heard before. Although I heard he had his blood pressure taken and they said "It's a bit high, go away on holiday for a week and come back." He went to Majorca and when he returned it was even higher!

:-))

Nice to see some footage of old Hampden in there.

I never realised Alan Hudson was such a good player, he seems to have had a really bad time of it in recent years sadly.

Frank Worthington would have been my favourite player if I was born when he was playing, I spent the whole episode waiting on them showing that goal where he flicks it over his head an volleys it in but it wasn't shown until right at the end.

Just watched that on Youtube and didn't realise he was playing for Bolton at the time, I'd got it into my head he was at Leicester. To my mind that is one of the greatest goals ever, endlessly recreated in the sitting room when I was a kid flicking a cushion over my head and volleying it. My mum must have wondered what on earth was happening to her cushions!

Watched it too.

You were left wondering how our dear neighbours might have fared had Cloughie got the job and used players like Bowles, Currie, Worthington, Marsh together on a regular basis.

Chopper Harris was a nasty bit of work though.

Next programme is about the 80s which should be good too.

Watched it too.

You were left wondering how our dear neighbours might have fared had Cloughie got the job and used players like Bowles, Currie, Worthington, Marsh together on a regular basis.

They may well have qualified 74 & 78 under Clough , but not sure if he would have played that many flamboyant players in his team

Watched it too.

Never understand the UK media's fascination with these 'ardmen of yesteryear who had very limited footballing ability but were masters in thuggery.

Never understand the UK media's fascination with these 'ardmen of yesteryear who had very limited footballing ability but were masters in thuggery.

Think they're footballing ability was up there with the rest of them

They were just allowed to 'mix it' at the time

Leeds v Chelsea Fa cup replay being notable in its violence

Think they're footballing ability was up there with the rest of them

They were just allowed to 'mix it' at the time

Leeds v Chelsea Fa cup replay being notable in its violence

Doesn't make it right, nor should it be celebrated in any way.

It's a good thing that we've rid football of all this "hardman" nonsense.

Missed the first 20 minutes or so last night. Seen Charlie Nicholas struggling to say "Linda Lusardi" though. :lol:

The clip of McAvennie walking through the streets of London and no-one recognising him when he was the top scorer in the first division was mental, would never happen these days.

Also, Jim Rosenthal's voiceover suggesting Glenn Hoddle making £7k a week in Monaco was crazy money. :-))

Was Nicholas as good as what they were saying last night??It came across as if he could of been one of the greatest forwards ever down there including wgs hinting at it aswell.

Re Hoddle, didn't realise he was still playing to a level that meant he could have played at Italia 90. Wenger suggesting to him supposedly he and Gazza could have played midfield together rather than a bryan robson type. bobby robson surely fked that one up.

I watched it too, really enjoyed it and set the series link for the next two episodes.

I remember him being asked about modern football and saying 'some of the players nowadays control the ball further than I could kick it'

Love his long list of teams as well

Huddersfield

Leicester

Bolton

Philadelphia

Birmingham

Mjallby

Tampa Bay

Leeds

Sunderland

Southampton

Brighton

Tranmere

Preston

Stockport

Cape Town

Chorley

Staleybridge

Galway

Weymouth

Radcliffe

Guisely

Hinckley

Caemes Bay

Halifax

43 when he retired from playing, 757 english league appearances plus two years in NASL and time in Sweden, South Africa and non-league football.

Edited by biffer

Was Nicholas as good as what they were saying last night??It came across as if he could of been one of the greatest forwards ever down there including wgs hinting at it aswell.

Re Hoddle, didn't realise he was still playing to a level that meant he could have played at Italia 90. Wenger suggesting to him supposedly he and Gazza could have played midfield together rather than a bryan robson type. bobby robson surely fked that one up.

When Nicholson came on the scene as a youngster in the Celtic first team, I remember thinking he could be the next Dalglish. Outstanding at Celtic but moved to the wrong club in Arsenal and (I think) also had a few injuries there.

For me he quickly went from potential great to "just" very good, then good.

When Nicholson came on the scene as a youngster in the Celtic first team, I remember thinking he could be the next Dalglish. Outstanding at Celtic but moved to the wrong club in Arsenal and (I think) also had a few injuries there.

For me he quickly went from potential great to "just" very good, then good.

then shite