Polls - Page 35 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP need to get a majority at Holyrood firstly and then go for it 2019 in my opinion.

The tidal wave of support can't last forever so it's important to take the opportunity while they have it but equally there's no point in going for it unless things shift to the extent of having 60%+ support for independence to ensure a clear and decisive result.

The one prerequisite for the next referendum is control of broadcasting.

Otherwise it will just be a rerun using the same tactics and barriers as 2014 which risks failing to provide the breakthrough required.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one prerequisite for the next referendum is control of broadcasting.

Otherwise it will just be a rerun using the same tactics and barriers as 2014 which risks failing to provide the breakthrough required.

I'd've said that an firm stance on an independent currency was the one prerequisite.

What is meant by 'control of broadcasting' and how is it to be achieved?

Older guy at my work was a staunch Labour man all his life, campaigned for No. Recently left and joined the SSP. Told me today he'll probably vote SNP.

The times they are a-changing indeed!

Old boy in my local in Ardrossan had been a Labour supporter for 60 years. He's pushing 80.

Anyway, he was having a ding dong with a woman in her 40s last week when I was in. Turns out he's voting SNP next week.

Was buzzing listening to his passion. It's guys like him I thought would never turn to the SNP.

Looks like the final throw of the dice from Labour is "Vote Labour because of what we used to represent"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/01/ed-miliband-summons-up-ghosts-of-labours-past-in-bid-to-avoid-rout-by-snp

Ed Miliband is to call on Scottish voters to remember the titans of the Labour movement, from Gordon Brown to Keir Hardie,

This Keir Hardie?

CD6w6GWW8AAJCC8.jpg

Older guy at my work was a staunch Labour man all his life, campaigned for No. Recently left and joined the SSP. Told me today he'll probably vote SNP.

The times they are a-changing indeed!

Voting for SNP at Westminster elections completely different from voting "yes" in a referendum. I would suggest that those former staunch "no's" we hear more and more about, who would now consider themselves SNP voters and perhaps "yes" or referendum waverers, would latch onto any worthless flimsy promise such as the "vow" to help them sleep better when voting "no" again .........

Talking of polls - Conservatives seem to be tactical voting for Jim in East Renfrew but it doesn't look like it's enough:

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/snp-still-on-course-to-defeat-jim.html

publicity will drive some more. The fact that Tories seem to forget here is that they might give Labour the 1 Mp that gets them over the winning line for a majority!

Guest flumax

For giblet

Scotland is another country

What the English really think about their northern neighbours

May 2nd 2015

POLITICIANS and psephologists have tried desperately hard to divine the Scottish mood over the past year. Does this country of 5m people really desire independence? And, after a referendum last September delivered a negative answer to that question, what has driven so many Scots to abandon Labour for the separatist Scottish National Party (SNP)? Rather less attention has been paid to what the 57m inhabitants of England and Wales think of Scotland

poll conducted for The Economist by YouGovon April 25th and 26th tells us, starkly. By 48% to 34%, more Britons (including Scots) believe that Scotland will be independent in 20 years time than think it will remain part of the United Kingdom. Few are enthused about this prospect. Only 20% think Scottish independence would be good for England, Northern Ireland and Wales, whereas 49% think it would be bad

Yet, if Britons tend to think the union would be worse off with Scotland gone, they are absolutely clear on the benefits to Scotland of the current set-upin which, crudely, the whole of Britain gets North Sea oil but Scotland gets more lavish state spending. By the enormous margin of 70% to 8%, more people think Scotland gets a good deal out of being part of the United Kingdom than think it gets a bad deal. Even in Scotland, voters divide 48% to 33% on this question.And voters outside Scotland are disinclined to sweeten an already tasty deal. We asked Britons whether they would pay to keep Scotland in the union, suggesting less than £250 ($385) a year, £250 to £500 a year and more than £500 a year as hypothetical sums. It turns out that 23% of Scots would pay something to stay in, and 26% would pay to leave. In England and Wales, though, only 10% would pay for Scotland to stay and 6% would pay to see the back of it. A colossal 70% would pay nothing at all to secure either outcome. That hints at trouble for the union (see Bagehot).We also asked about the economy. People divided evenly on the question of whether they would be better off under Mr Cameron or Mr Miliband32% thought the former, 30% the latter, and 29% reckoned it would make little difference. But Mr Cameron holds a decent nine-point lead on the question of whether Britain as a whole would be better off. His difficulty in translating broad economic credibility into votes is the great story of this campaign.Clarification: All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 2,096 adults. Fieldwork was undertaken between 25th - 26th April 2015. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all GB adults (aged 18+). YouGov is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by their rules

Edited by flumax

If you can stomach reading the Sun there's an interesting 2 page spread analyzing every seat in Scotland and the odds of victory. They predict the SNP taking 47 seats. Some of the odds are crazily short!

that's the number nate silver has predicted

mind you, he's a gimp

If you can stomach reading the Sun there's an interesting 2 page spread analyzing every seat in Scotland and the odds of victory. They predict the SNP taking 47 seats. Some of the odds are crazily short!

... Dare I ask?