Ireland V Poland -- What Do We Want? - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ireland V Poland -- What Do We Want?

JagDude

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Against Poland away from home. Went up 2-1 and Strachan brought on D Fletcher, we tried to shore things up, and in the end were lucky to hang on for a draw.

Trying to protect a lead is a bit different from parking the bus from the first minute.

We'll attack in the same way we have done all campaign. I hope, if we are winning, then we don't do what we did in Poland. Especially with Ireland's propensity to score late goals.

It's going to be really close I agree. Just fear we are writing off the irish who will be seeking revenge in June.

I'd never write them off. Too close to call.

We're just unlucky (again) to be in such a hard and tight group.

And now England's group - Lapland, Melchester Rovers, Me and my Mum !

:lol:

Yeah but Poland beat them 6 or 7 nil and so did Ireland.

Doesn't tell us much either way really.

So is this group to be decided by how many goals each team puts on Gibraltar.

We've played Ireland and Poland, and come out unbeaten with 4 points. This IMO is more of a mark on the group than thrashing some part timers.

J

We are not a good team either, especially on today's evidence. Think we will struggle in Dublin.

I wish I could disagree with you there but your absolutely correct.

We can't afford to be arrogant or write off any other team. Some of the stuff I've read on here, with people writing off Ireland as some sort of pub team is just ridiculous. I don't ever like to see Scotland fans condescending towards other teams or getting a superiority complex like our neighbours down south have, it doesn't suit us and we know how it will inevitably end up.

It's perfectly possible to support our team without this arrogance some have suddenly gotten after a few wins.

There is still a lot to play for and we haven't had our obligatory great Scottish feck up yet.

So is this group to be decided by how many goals each team puts on Gibraltar.

We've played Ireland and Poland, and come out unbeaten with 4 points. This IMO is more of a mark on the group than thrashing some part timers.

J

Probably not (not sure why you are asking me?)

GEORGIA AWAY

Exactly !

Looking forward to June. A MUST WIN for us, but not for you guys, which always makes for interesting games. I still think this group is going to twist and turn more than we expect.

What were your thoughts on how Ireland played tonight Banjaxed ?

Was it a good decision to drop Forde for Given and Ward for Brady ?

Against Poland away from home. Went up 2-1 and Strachan brought on D Fletcher, we tried to shore things up, and in the end were lucky to hang on for a draw.

To be fair, Fletcher was excellent when he came on in that game. Showed some real class under pressure. Poland were very good in that last half hour and probably deserved to win.

Exactly !

What were your thoughts on how Ireland played tonight Banjaxed ?

Was it a good decision to drop Forde for Given and Ward for Brady ?

Dropping Forde is much of a muchness. We don't have any great goalkeepers. Shay is over the hill. He does a good job, but his experience could be invaluable.

Brady was a gamble that didn't pay off. His dead ball delivery against USA was fantastic, and this is why he was given the nod over other alternatives. Like Ian Harte. Not much of a defender, but created his fair share of goals. That said, Brady was sh!te tonight. Cost us a goal and couldn't hit a barn door either. Ward will come back in but he can't defend much himself. We've struggled for decent left full in recent years.

I wouldn't be so confident of Scotland winning in Dublin. Knowing how Ireland will play, the personnel involved and the must win nature of the game...I can't see you guys winning.

GEORGIA AWAY

For your sakes, hopefully you don't lose against us in June because going to Georgia desperate for a win (and with us playing Gibraltar the same day) stinks of a game where the wheels could spectacularly come off your qualification.

This is a bogey group. God bless who anyone thinks they can predict the outcome.

Edited by Banjaxed

The last round of fixtures has us away to Gibraltar which should be a formality and sees Ireland away to Poland so something will have to give in Warsaw.

As soon as the draw was made the majority of us predicted and ideally wanted the results in which we've got. The only thing which blew it open was Poland beating Germany, but we've always known we'd have to avoid defeat in Poland and we mustn't lose in Ireland so little has really changed since this morning

Dropping Forde is much of a muchness. We don't have any great goalkeepers. Shay is over the hill. He does a good job, but his experience could be invaluable.

Brady was a gamble that didn't pay off. His dead ball delivery against USA was fantastic, and this is why he was given the nod over other alternatives. Like Ian Harte. Not much of a defender, but created his fair share of goals. That said, Brady was sh!te tonight. Cost us a goal and couldn't hit a barn door either. Ward will come back in but he can't defend much himself. We've struggled for decent left full in recent years.

I wouldn't be so confident of Scotland winning in Dublin. Knowing how Ireland will play, the personnel involved and the must win nature of the game...I can't see you guys winning.

If it's any consolation, a few of us would gladly swap you a left full back (Whittaker, Robertson or Forsyth ?) and a goalie (McGregor, Marshall or Gordon?) for two of your half decent central defenders !

I'm really surprised that Keiren Westwood hasn't established himself as Ireland's No. 1 lately. When I check on how Sheffield Wednesday's Scottish players are doing there's always plenty in the match reports about Westwood being perhaps Wednesday's player of the season.

I agree with you 100% about how we shouldn't be too confident going to Dublin. In fact, we went through a similar situation during our Euro 2008 qualifiers, we had just beaten Ukraine 3-1 at Hampden and had to go away to Georgia which was surely going to be an easy three points .......

Of course we can laugh about it now :lol: ............ well some can :worried:

Edited by ErsatzThistle

For your sakes, hopefully you don't lose against us in June because going to Georgia desperate for a win (and with us playing Gibraltar the same day) stinks of a game where the wheels could spectacularly come off your qualification.

This is a bogey group. God bless who anyone thinks they can predict the outcome.

When the draw was made one of my first thoughts was that, Georgia have no chance of qualifying but they could have big influence in deciding who does. Unfortunately you guys and Poland have already beaten them away from home so that will probably mean that we will have to do the same. That won't be easy though, we only just managed to beat them at Ibrox. I am actually more confident of beating Poland at Hampden than I am of winning away to Georgia. As you say almost impossible to predict this one.

I just hope that whoever finishes 3rd gets the automatic qualifying spot. I think we will have deserved it.

Evening Folks

Congrats on yere win against Gibraltar .....job done there

Just back from our Game......obviously very relieved and happy with getting a point considering we faced defeat with only a few minutes left

First 30 mins we were poor and way too defensive....Poland deserved their lead just about at half time

Second half ....i though we were much the better side...much more attacking and made a bigger effort to put the ball down and play and go for it....draw was at least we deserved.

A good point for poland all the same..........so well done to them

However...tonight and our second half performance showed that Poland can be got at.....if you go at them with a positive attitude

Tonights result sets the Scotland game up big time..... a game Ireland MUST win.

I saw nothing from Poland tonight that makes me think Scotland cant beat them provided Scotland play to their strengths

Fantastic atmosphere at tonights game ...it was electric ............looking forward to having ye guys over

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising